Anyone using L Pile software for Drilled Shaft design?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerStroke79_PE

Reaction score
Anyone using L Pile software for Drilled Shaft design? Or Shaft? I ran into these softwares today in considering some Light Pole Base design and am curious what others think about it. 

Thanks, 

Well, the Geo calls for a 25ft depth. But for the steel posts being installed I just feel its overboard and did my own calcs on it. 

i know some people at my office have used L pile 

i feel like it's an iterative but fairly simple calculation for diameter and embedment requirements. I've made an excel file just to speed up the size change results.

i know some people at my office have used L pile 

i feel like it's an iterative but fairly simple calculation for diameter and embedment requirements. I've made an excel file just to speed up the size change results.
Well, and I agree. The issue I'm having is that I don't agree with the Geotech report. I mean, ultimately the detailing of the concrete pier will be 1% of gross area of concrete because the loads on this area  joke. But I don't want assume I'm right by my calcs, I want to feel comfortable with the geotech resistance and bearing capacities. 

Also, when calculating the moment at pier, due to wind load on 6" pipe, I account for the weight of the pole and light head as  a load P * e. Would you say you do this @tj_PE?

Thanks for the reply. 

Well, and I agree. The issue I'm having is that I don't agree with the Geotech report. I mean, ultimately the detailing of the concrete pier will be 1% of gross area of concrete because the loads on this area  joke. But I don't want assume I'm right by my calcs, I want to feel comfortable with the geotech resistance and bearing capacities. 
Also, when calculating the moment at pier, due to wind load on 6" pipe, I account for the weight of the pole and light head as  a load P * e. Would you say you do this [mention=32589]tj_PE[/mention]?
Thanks for the reply. 
I think that is a reasonable approach. Is the geotech report suggesting the 25' embedment based on an assumed column or foundation load? Maybe it's for bearing and friction and not as a pole footing situation?

I'm not a structural guy, so please excuse my ignorance. But what is more important, length or diameter? And how does temperature influence things.

I'm not a structural guy, so please excuse my ignorance. But what is more important, length or diameter? And how does temperature influence things.
Length gets more done faster typically, but sometimes diameter is all you have to work with.

Length gets more done faster typically, but sometimes diameter is all you have to work with.
But larger diameters will have more surface area for skin friction.

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest question is what is better for the surface? Length or Diameter?

If greater vibration is tolerable maybe driven piles is an option.

So if you are reading a Geo Report that states 10kip/sq. ft. allowable bearing capacity. That is at their recommended pier depth? Or would it increase per depth of pier? Generally what is the interpretation? 

I would ask the geotech for clarification if it is not spelled out adequately. 

Back