Jump to content
Engineer Boards
PPI
knight1fox3

Net Neutrality

Recommended Posts

 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif

I've been loosely following it. We don't have it here in NZ and don't seem to have any issues, but society seems to have a bit more common sense and decency. Businesses don't seem to be as scrupulous and politically driven.

 

TBH, I don't think the vast majority of Americans will ever notice a difference. The vast majority of information is already filtered by those disclosing it and we all have the attention span of a fruit fly. Someday down the road we'll look back and notice say, "wait a minute, I haven't seen anything about ____ recently. What ever happened with that?" and then we'll resume scrolling and forget about it again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll trust in the free market.

This is my simplistic comparison as this previous action was in place of a "could"

For example I "could" charge everyone that uses this site a fee to access it. And I would have like 2 members and it would cease to exist because people would just find an equivalent free alternative, or someone would make a free version and people would
Migrate there

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ Assuming there is a free market alternative. For many Americans, their options are very limited.

Look at something like Electricity. You have the "option" to get it anywhere, but in your region the only supplier is Xcel Energy. Because of these regional monopolies, they are regulated by the Public Utilities Commission (PUC) to ensure rates remain "fair". If your only local internet provider is Comcast, who prevents them from jacking your rates or limiting access to certain websites?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I'd be screwed up here. Wait I already am!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Road Guy said:

I'll trust in the free market.

This is my simplistic comparison as this previous action was in place of a "could"

For example I "could" charge everyone that uses this site a fee to access it. And I would have like 2 members and it would cease to exist because people would just find an equivalent free alternative, or someone would make a free version and people would
Migrate there

That reminds me I need to renew. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone please tell me any positives that come from the net neutrality repeal for the 99.9% of the population that is not an ISP? Having trouble seeing how this isn't just and opportunity for my bills to go up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm all for free market when it creates competition that has the potential to lower prices or provide a superior service but that is not what I see going on here. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and what is going on? What was the problem that was supposedly "fixed" by the Obummer administration when this was passed a few years ago?

If the providers start royally screwing people (like they have been doing since the dawn of their existence, the market will compensate and something better will come along) sort of like how we all used to go to blockbuster video a few decades ago to pay $5 bucks to rent a movie..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Net Neutrality was a solution in search of a problem.  Look at how far the internet advanced without the government stepping in to "protect" it.  The end result of treating an ISP like an electric utility is that you wind up with the same service and quality as any other monopoly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not trying to enter a debate. Really trying to understand how this will benefit the nation as whole. It has been proven that the capital being spent on R&D and infrastructure related to the internet was not effected by the regulation. And I hate using the word regulation like I'm for it but won't this just give the ISPs the opportunity to regulate how, what, and at what speed we use the internet? Sure I could just not use the internet or invent an alternative but realistically where is the benefit the general public?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jbone27 PE said:

Not trying to enter a debate. Really trying to understand how this will benefit the nation as whole. It has been proven that the capital being spent on R&D and infrastructure related to the internet was not effected by the regulation. And I hate using the word regulation like I'm for it but won't this just give the ISPs the opportunity to regulate how, what, and at what speed we use the internet? Sure I could just not use the internet or invent an alternative but realistically where is the benefit the general public?

For just one minor benefit, less federal regulation means fewer federal workers to enforce the regulation, which means smaller federal government, and ultimately a smaller deficit.  Now, it could mean a smaller tax bill to you, but realistically it won't pan out to that.

 

But any time the federal government has less power... that's a good thing. 

 

kTrT1BD.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't read all the comments, but I can't tell if some of you are joking or not... there was absolutely an existing problem.  Providers were picking and choosing which services that you had full and faster access to.  That IS NOT okay.  Comcast did it with BitTorrent, ATT did it with FaceTime, Verizon did it with Netflix.  I don't want Comcast to limit my speed while I watch DirectvNOW service because I don't subscribe to Comcast TV.  Do you???

Imagine.  Comcast, which does not have a stake in Netflix.  But does have a stake in Hulu.  They can now be allowed to provide better service to those that subscribe to Hulu than to Netflix.  And I don't have another ISP choice where I live.  How can anyone support this.  The internet should be a "dumb pipe" of information, freely and openly flowing, to those big corporations like Netflix, and small start ups that don't have money to pay Comcast for a better/faster service.  It's totally asinine 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And if you don't believe that the Government should regulate the internet a la China, then how can you agree it is okay for big corporations to regulate what websites you visit.  Hold them to the same standard, and they won't do it through Capitalism, there's only a handful of these nearly monopolistic internet providers in most areas.  Otherwise, I just think you guys don't know what you're talking about.  You hear the word "regulation" and you think "that's wrong!", but you can't honestly be as intelligent to have your PE license and also not agree with Net Neutrality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, matt267 PE said:

 

I don't have permission to see whatever this was.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, leggo PE said:

I don't have permission to see whatever this was.

It was a link to where I created a post similar to this one. It was deleted and moved over here. 

Edited by Jbone27 PE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jbone27 PE said:

You can 

I was a link to where I created a post similar to this one. It was deleted and moved over here. 

Gotcha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, psuae08 said:

And if you don't believe that the Government should regulate the internet a la China, then how can you agree it is okay for big corporations to regulate what websites you visit.  Hold them to the same standard, and they won't do it through Capitalism, there's only a handful of these nearly monopolistic internet providers in most areas.  Otherwise, I just think you guys don't know what you're talking about.  You hear the word "regulation" and you think "that's wrong!", but you can't honestly be as intelligent to have your PE license and also not agree with Net Neutrality.

Here's a tip for ya: Don't insult folk's intelligence when you don't agree with them, especially with your second post. Your first post was constructive (albeit condescending) and had good content and then you had to follow it up with this. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking about going into the admin control panel and exercising little net neutrality myself ;)

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, psuae08 said:

but you can't honestly be as intelligent to have your PE license and also not agree with Net Neutrality.

Na, you don't need to be intelligent to have a PE license. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, psuae08 said:

I don't want Comcast to limit my speed while I watch DirectvNOW service because I don't subscribe to Comcast TV.  Do you???

Let's play devil's advocate here for a bit based on what others have posted above that I tend to agree with. Let's say you are being throttled to some extent (with the current mandate being over-turned) with Direct TV NOW, yet your stream isn't impacted enough to become interrupted. Will that really matter to you and/or will you even notice unless you are that closely monitoring your connection speed continuously (via WireShark or equiv.)? Most consumers will not even care/notice so long as they can keep doing what they're doing.

And I also agree, no need for insults in constructive discussions, regardless of whether you agree or not. That's going to earn you a one-way ticket on the ban-hammer train. :thumbs:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

De-regulation always works out well. The Free Market is the ultimate answer to everything. 

(then suddenly remembers the 2008 mortgage crisis and subsequent global recession)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×