Net Neutrality

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hughesnet here claims I can get 25 Mbit/s (I'm guessing Alaska maybe worse due to the high latitude?), but the killer with both satellite and cell streaming is the amount of data.  Netflix says an hour of HD streaming uses 3 GB, and you only get 50 GB/month with the Hughes $100 plan, so we'd easily blow through that in a couple weeks.  From the research I've done, cell plans are similar in price.
That could be, because the dishes point at the ground up here (I guess because of the way they focus the beam, they really do look like they're pointed at the ground, but they're pointed just a little above the horizon in actuality.

this is what we use in our field offices, works really good... https://www.risebroadband.com/check-availability/  there are usually 4-5 people in the trailers at a time and most are government employees so they are probably watching movies or something ;)
That's a fixed wireless service.  Basically they have a giant antenna somewhere that broadcasts & receives a signal, similar to broadcast television except it's two-way.  My friends that live outside Hudson, CO use that.  I've checked and we don't have it available where I live, though a coworker on the other side of town has it--so maybe someday!

Back