Failed Scores - APR 2016 - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
zzzvvvzzz

Failed Scores

Civil Geotechnical: 28 morning, 27 depth. Was expecting at least a 32 in the morning. 

Shoot me. So bummed

2 hours ago, zzzvvvzzz said:

Civil Transportation 50/80 ---- 25 morning, 25 afternoon

So it that a fail or pass? Trying to figure out the cutoff here.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, jijir83 said:

So it that a fail or pass? Trying to figure out the cutoff here.

Thanks.

Really???

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, P-E said:

Really???

Yes. Really. lol. Didn't even check the topic title.

I definitely have too many tabs open and trying to process all the results reports. ha! 

There's a 55/80 fail in one of the state topics. So I guess 68% is not it either.

Trying to get the cut score is like trying to find a good presidential candidate. Give up. It is useless.

Assuming you actually could determine the cut score, what good does it do you after the fact?  At the end of the day, you get a pass or a fail.  If you passed, you were above the cut score.  If you get a fail, you were under.  That's really all you need to know.  And if you think, well if I fail, then I want to know it so I know how to arrange my next study strategy, then you are doing it wrong.  You should study with the goal of getting all questions correct, not just 70%.

But, of course, we're engineers and we're all a little bit neurotic and obsessive, so I understand the mental frame of mind that leads people to try to figure this out.  Problem is that it doesn't do anything for you.

• Like 1

Someone should file an open record request with their state for their score just to see what happens...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jijir83 said:

Yes. Really. lol. Didn't even check the topic title.

I definitely have too many tabs open and trying to process all the results reports. ha! 

There's a 55/80 fail in one of the state topics. So I guess 68% is not it either.

try to look around on this site. there are plenty of points where the topic of a cut score came up. The bottom line, the cut score doesn't exist, at least not in the manner that you think that it does.

What may have been a 56 this cycle could very well be a 59 next time. 

Either you passed or you didn't and outside of TX, no one knows much of anything.

A basic understanding of the cut score would let you know that it's a dynamic score that changes based on numerous factors so knowing the cut score this for this exam will have no impact on your preparation for the next exam.

What may have been a 56 this cycle could very well be a 59 next time. 

Either you passed or you didn't and outside of TX, no one knows much of anything.

Also the scores given out in Texas still contain uncertainties. Is this 70 really a 70? Or has it been adjusted up down sideways

I think most people asking for cut scores are people like me...who's state still hasn't released, and they are trying to gauge what the cut score looks like so they can get an idea of whether to prepare for celebrations, or misery.

If you think looking for cut scores is silly/trivial/dumb...why did you even go into the thread clearly labeled for score information.

1 minute ago, liz28 said:

If you think looking for cut scores is silly/trivial/dumb...why did you even go into the thread clearly labeled for score information.

Because it's fun.

@liz28, we've been there. We've all wondered and stressed about that one point that might make the difference. Once you pass, you'll see how silly it is.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think trying to figure out what the cut score was this cycle or may be next cycle has very limited benefit for the test takers. I think the consensus is that the passing score from one cycle to the next is going to be around 70% plus or minus a couple percentage points. With that said, I think anyone that is targeting 70% efficiency in study preparation is setting yourself up for failure. I think you should be preparing and targeting AT LEAST 80% efficiency and allow yourself some cushion. 

who knows what the cut scores are

But if you are looking for a min number then i would probably aim for 60. I don't think anyone ever failed with a 60 (correct me if im wrong!)

32 to 35 on the AM and 28 to 25 on the PM

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dee Pee - Pee Eee said:

I work with a CS that failed with 69% (well their score according to TBPE was 69). I think they were probably one question shy of victory.

Dang, that sucks. There were some obscure PM questions on the CS exam. Thought I did much better than 21/40 though. 

4 hours ago, matt267 PE said:

@liz28, we've been there. We've all wondered and stressed about that one point that might make the difference. Once you pass, you'll see how silly it is.

Yes - but when it's your third attempt, and you know you missed it by anywhere from 1-5 questions last go around...you get anxious about what the cut score for this one ended up being!  

NJ scores are being funky - tales of them being posted, but then retracted...I'm waiting to look til I know they are official!