Elevation Certificate

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micahferguson1

Reaction score
I live in Northeast Louisiana and we has some extreme flooding a couple months ago.  As a result, FEMA is redetermining some flood zones.  A friend of mine owns a rental property and he is now being told he will need flood insurance even though he has never needed it before. I am a registered P.E. in Louisiana, and my friend wants to know if I can determine the elevation of his home to see if it is higher than what FEMA is claiming.  Is this something that I can help him with (I am not being payed) even though I am employed with a local engineering firm?  If so, how do I go about getting an official Elevation Certificate after I determine the elevation?

We have done this for many buildings in our county determined to be in the "flood zone". FEMA takes forever to go through the process and uses any excuse to send back forms as not correct... it took nearly 5 months to get the last one adjusted.

Back