Jump to content
Engineer Boards
Audi driver, P.E.

For those discovering they didn't pass...

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Atharaenea said:

I see you're civil... what was your area of focus for PM?

 

If I had failed, I'd be getting Goswami's text to study off of for the next time. I think working the 6 minute solutions was my biggest help. The ones that were most difficult for me I did over and over until I thoroughly understood the concept.

I was taking Transportation. Did well on most Transportation related topics, but wasn't that good on Geotech, Hydraulics and Materials.

Oh well, for some reason I am not depressed. Sad, but I kind of expected it. I am not the lucky person by any mean, so guessing is not my thing :)

Good luck to all of us who didn't pass this time. We will do better next time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is sort of off-topic, but I see everyone posting screen shots showing their FE results in addition to PE/SE/Etc on the NCEES.  My FE doesn't show on my profile.  I took and passed it quite a while ago, I know it was administered through NCEES but I'm guessing it was prior to NCEES running things through an online account, I don't rightfully remember, I just have the certificate showing I passed with my engineer inteern certificate number... dumb question but how do I go about requesting that exam is added to my NCEES account profile.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, smahurin said:

This is sort of off-topic, but I see everyone posting screen shots showing their FE results in addition to PE/SE/Etc on the NCEES.  My FE doesn't show on my profile.  I took and passed it quite a while ago, I know it was administered through NCEES but I'm guessing it was prior to NCEES running things through an online account, I don't rightfully remember, I just have the certificate showing I passed with my engineer inteern certificate number... dumb question but how do I go about requesting that exam is added to my NCEES account profile.  

Try the "chat" feature in your dashboard and see what they say. I'm guessing your EIT results are in analog format. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lolla said:

I was taking Transportation. Did well on most Transportation related topics, but wasn't that good on Geotech, Hydraulics and Materials.

Oh well, for some reason I am not depressed. Sad, but I kind of expected it. I am not the lucky person by any mean, so guessing is not my thing :)

Good luck to all of us who didn't pass this time. We will do better next time!

I took transportation too. I have no idea what my score could be because my state doesn't release that info, but if you got 53/80 I'm thinking the cut score must be 55 and you just barely missed it. I'm not sure if that makes you feel better or not though... but it could mean the tiniest bit of extra studying could result in a pass next time. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lolla said:

I have mixed feelings about failing Oct 2015 exam. I felt good right after the exam, even finished PM early. On my way home I was thinking about some of these questions, and didn't feel as confident as I was in the exam room... more time was passing by more questions I wasn't sure about.

I did study, but not a lot to be honest. I took School of PE prep classes and relay of it. Notes helped me, but it didn't cover everything. Few questions on the exam were not even mentioned in School of PE classes or notes at all.

How did you guys know how well you did in AM and PM? I have diagnostic page with 18 areas, so my overall score is 63% (53/80). Few areas are 100%.

Well, I wish I could say I am done, but I am not. Will be studying harder this time. And will be adding more tabs to my notes and material for easier navigation.

Worst part now is to tell family, friends and coworkers... def not the news I want to share right before holidays. Sad :(

Lolla,

That hurts! You barely missed the cut score I guess. You needed two more correct answer! other than your family and boss (or helper), you don't need to tell anyone unless someone asks you. Sounds weird but It's like "Don't ask don't policy" for other people who is not going to part of your study plan or success. Good luck on your next try. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2015, 1:49:50, Ranger88 said:

70 % am 47% pm geotech :(

Keep your head up! I failed my first try and I took geotech as well. I ended up with a 31 out of 40 in the am and like a 21 out of 40 in the afternoon. My first go around I spent a solid two months crunching problems after problems but it wasn't enough. In my opinion you can crunch problems until your blue in the face but if you dont have a true understanding of the topics your chances of passing are alot less. 

This time around I took a class and I passed. Also, another big help for the afternoon section were the Das/Bowels books I brought in as a reference. The class prepared me for both the AM/PM sections but the Das books really helped me for the geotechnical afternoon. I was very shocked last time that I didnt pass because I was crunching so many problems but I took a different approach this time and passed. Also, I think I studied less this time then I did the first; just focus more on understanding and learning topics then just pumping out problems like a zombie.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kmart30 said:

Keep your head up! I failed my first try and I took geotech as well. I ended up with a 31 out of 40 in the am and like a 21 out of 40 in the afternoon. My first go around I spent a solid two months crunching problems after problems but it wasn't enough. In my opinion you can crunch problems until your blue in the face but if you dont have a true understanding of the topics your chances of passing are alot less. 

This time around I took a class and I passed. Also, another big help for the afternoon section were the Das/Bowels books I brought in as a reference. The class prepared me for both the AM/PM sections but the Das books really helped me for the geotechnical afternoon. I was very shocked last time that I didnt pass because I was crunching so many problems but I took a different approach this time and passed. Also, I think I studied less this time then I did the first; just focus more on understanding and learning topics then just pumping out problems like a zombie.  

 

Agree with KMart. I also used and took Das and Bowels books as references. Besides I also used Coduto book and ASCE Handbook on Foundation. Each book was very useful. For Geitech, one textbook is never sufficient. You may have to study one topic from one book, another topic from a different book, and so on. I did not take any course. By the way, have a good engineering dictionary as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What books did you refer to for the electrical power PE exam and did not manage to pass ? I should have read Wildi's book with more time for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vickass said:

Guys,

TBPE shows me a score of 66 for PE (Electrical). what does that mean? Any help

 

 

 

66 seems like the % ..do you know the score in points ?.how many actual points u got out of 80..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Sat Dec 12 2015 00:33:36 GMT-0600, Lolla said:

I have mixed feelings about failing Oct 2015 exam. I felt good right after the exam, even finished PM early. On my way home I was thinking about some of these questions, and didn't feel as confident as I was in the exam room... more time was passing by more questions I wasn't sure about.

I did study, but not a lot to be honest. I took School of PE prep classes and relay of it. Notes helped me, but it didn't cover everything. Few questions on the exam were not even mentioned in School of PE classes or notes at all.

How did you guys know how well you did in AM and PM? I have diagnostic page with 18 areas, so my overall score is 63% (53/80). Few areas are 100%.

Well, I wish I could say I am done, but I am not. Will be studying harder this time. And will be adding more tabs to my notes and material for easier navigation.

Worst part now is to tell family, friends and coworkers... def not the news I want to share right before holidays. Sad :(

53/80 =66%....how come you got a63%..

is there any diff way NCEES figure out % score?..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sooner100 said:

Agree with KMart. I also used and took Das and Bowels books as references. Besides I also used Coduto book and ASCE Handbook on Foundation. Each book was very useful. For Geitech, one textbook is never sufficient. You may have to study one topic from one book, another topic from a different book, and so on. I did not take any course. By the way, have a good engineering dictionary as well. 

Can you please clarify which references for Das, Bowels, Coduto?  And for ASCE are you talking about ASCE 7-10?  Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Ranger88 said:

Can you please clarify which references for Das, Bowels, Coduto?  And for ASCE are you talking about ASCE 7-10?  Thank you.

For soil mechanics and general foundation engineering I used Das book, for bearing capacity and advanced level footings I users Bowels, and for piles it was Coduto. ASCE press has a Handbook on Foundation Engineering. I did not follow the ASCE 7-10 or any code book. For Geotech, I don't think you need any code book. By the way, read text, footnote, etc. from these textbook. Some people say solve only problems. I would say read all those prints and fine prints when you solve problems. If you do not work in the field (it was the case for me), go and visit some construction sites.  Let say, go to a road construction, bridge piling, even a new house construction site. Believe me you will appreciate such field trips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need some help. I took my PE-civil (transportation depth). I did not perform well in the morning. The PM was ok.

I took school of PE. I didn't help me much in the morning. Especially none for the Hydraulic questions, site development and material questions.

 

I need some advise to what course to take?

I heard EET-California is excellent. School of PE, I am not sure if they will change the practice problems that they have.

Also I heard testmasters (they are live classes, kind of hard to do it with work schedule)

Any suggestions..about EET-California..Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, transportationretaker said:

I need some help. I took my PE-civil (transportation depth). I did not perform well in the morning. The PM was ok.

I took school of PE. I didn't help me much in the morning. Especially none for the Hydraulic questions, site development and material questions.

 

I need some advise to what course to take?

I heard EET-California is excellent. School of PE, I am not sure if they will change the practice problems that they have.

Also I heard testmasters (they are live classes, kind of hard to do it with work schedule)

Any suggestions..about EET-California..Thanks

Lindberg's CRM should be sufficient for AM. One of friends told me that testmaster was good for him. He took Structures though. I agree with the comments with Hydraulics. Should study hydraulics well as it covers significant portion in AM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, transportationretaker said:

I need some help. I took my PE-civil (transportation depth). I did not perform well in the morning. The PM was ok.

I took school of PE. I didn't help me much in the morning. Especially none for the Hydraulic questions, site development and material questions.

 

I need some advise to what course to take?

I heard EET-California is excellent. School of PE, I am not sure if they will change the practice problems that they have.

Also I heard testmasters (they are live classes, kind of hard to do it with work schedule)

Any suggestions..about EET-California..Thanks

EET is excellent, in that you will get a lot of focused attention. But if you had problems in the AM, even after taking SofPE you need to be looking at your resources and study habits. I feel EET and SofPE are probably pretty comparable in the AM sections.

 

Edited by John QPE
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so yeah, i failed again.  Two time loser. No ncees diagnostic report yet.  Do we have a high scrore fail post yet? I saw a 53 in another post here for 10/15.  Anyone see a higher score that didnt pass?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I failed again too. That's twice now. I really don't know where to go from here. I studied A LOT for this exam. And I somehow did way worse than first time. I don't understand. 

Shouldn't have looked at the result at work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, mub220 said:

53/80 =66%....how come you got a63%..

is there any diff way NCEES figure out % score?..

you are correct. typo on my part, 66%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, transportationretaker said:

I need some help. I took my PE-civil (transportation depth). I did not perform well in the morning. The PM was ok.

I took school of PE. I didn't help me much in the morning. Especially none for the Hydraulic questions, site development and material questions.

 

I need some advise to what course to take?

I heard EET-California is excellent. School of PE, I am not sure if they will change the practice problems that they have.

Also I heard testmasters (they are live classes, kind of hard to do it with work schedule)

Any suggestions..about EET-California..Thanks

I can second that! I also took School of PE and also found their hydraulic, side development and material questions not much helpful on the actual test. Also wondering about EET-California, but on the edge of spending more $$$. I heard their PM prep is way better, but AM is equal to school of PE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wirelessengineer21 said:

so yeah, i failed again.  Two time loser. No ncees diagnostic report yet.  Do we have a high scrore fail post yet? I saw a 53 in another post here for 10/15.  Anyone see a higher score that didnt pass?

oh please... don't even try to call yourself a loser! You are not!!! A lot of people were doing better job guessing, so you just wasn't that lucky!

Also wondering on highest score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lolla said:

oh please... don't even try to call yourself a loser! You are not!!! A lot of people were doing better job guessing, so you just wasn't that lucky!

Also wondering on highest score.

I know i'm not a loser, its all tongue and cheek. Still curious about the cut grade this for this exam season though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, paigelida said:

I failed again too. That's twice now. I really don't know where to go from here. I studied A LOT for this exam. And I somehow did way worse than first time. I don't understand. 

Shouldn't have looked at the result at work. 

Don't feel bad! I googled and it seems Oct 2015 test was harder compare to Apr 2015, so it explains your results.

All I heard from people who took Oct 2014 test is how easy the actual test was compare to practice problems, but I didn't notice it. In fact, there were few problems I never seen anywhere before..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Lolla said:

Don't feel bad! I googled and it seems Oct 2015 test was harder compare to Apr 2015, so it explains your results.

All I heard from people who took Oct 2014 test is how easy the actual test was compare to practice problems, but I didn't notice it. In fact, there were few problems I never seen anywhere before..

I thought it was an incredibly difficult exam, and that my study materials hadn't prepped me for it very well at all.  I am definitely one of the ones who must have guessed well and got lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2015, 8:51:04, matt267 PE said:

Try the "chat" feature in your dashboard and see what they say. I'm guessing your EIT results are in analog format. 

I just did that.  They told me they can only show tests from Oct 2010 and onward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×