For those discovering they didn't pass...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need some help. I took my PE-civil (transportation depth). I did not perform well in the morning. The PM was ok.

I took school of PE. I didn't help me much in the morning. Especially none for the Hydraulic questions, site development and material questions.

I need some advise to what course to take?

I heard EET-California is excellent. School of PE, I am not sure if they will change the practice problems that they have.

Also I heard testmasters (they are live classes, kind of hard to do it with work schedule)

Any suggestions..about EET-California..Thanks
EET is excellent, in that you will get a lot of focused attention. But if you had problems in the AM, even after taking SofPE you need to be looking at your resources and study habits. I feel EET and SofPE are probably pretty comparable in the AM sections.

Last edited by a moderator:
so yeah, i failed again.  Two time loser. No ncees diagnostic report yet.  Do we have a high scrore fail post yet? I saw a 53 in another post here for 10/15.  Anyone see a higher score that didnt pass?

I failed again too. That's twice now. I really don't know where to go from here. I studied A LOT for this exam. And I somehow did way worse than first time. I don't understand. 

Shouldn't have looked at the result at work. 

I need some help. I took my PE-civil (transportation depth). I did not perform well in the morning. The PM was ok.

I took school of PE. I didn't help me much in the morning. Especially none for the Hydraulic questions, site development and material questions.

I need some advise to what course to take?

I heard EET-California is excellent. School of PE, I am not sure if they will change the practice problems that they have.

Also I heard testmasters (they are live classes, kind of hard to do it with work schedule)

Any suggestions..about EET-California..Thanks
I can second that! I also took School of PE and also found their hydraulic, side development and material questions not much helpful on the actual test. Also wondering about EET-California, but on the edge of spending more $$$. I heard their PM prep is way better, but AM is equal to school of PE.

so yeah, i failed again.  Two time loser. No ncees diagnostic report yet.  Do we have a high scrore fail post yet? I saw a 53 in another post here for 10/15.  Anyone see a higher score that didnt pass?
oh please... don't even try to call yourself a loser! You are not!!! A lot of people were doing better job guessing, so you just wasn't that lucky!

Also wondering on highest score.

oh please... don't even try to call yourself a loser! You are not!!! A lot of people were doing better job guessing, so you just wasn't that lucky!

Also wondering on highest score.
I know i'm not a loser, its all tongue and cheek. Still curious about the cut grade this for this exam season though

I failed again too. That's twice now. I really don't know where to go from here. I studied A LOT for this exam. And I somehow did way worse than first time. I don't understand. 

Don't feel bad! I googled and it seems Oct 2015 test was harder compare to Apr 2015, so it explains your results.

All I heard from people who took Oct 2014 test is how easy the actual test was compare to practice problems, but I didn't notice it. In fact, there were few problems I never seen anywhere before..

Don't feel bad! I googled and it seems Oct 2015 test was harder compare to Apr 2015, so it explains your results.

All I heard from people who took Oct 2014 test is how easy the actual test was compare to practice problems, but I didn't notice it. In fact, there were few problems I never seen anywhere before..
I thought it was an incredibly difficult exam, and that my study materials hadn't prepped me for it very well at all.  I am definitely one of the ones who must have guessed well and got lucky.

I would also say instead of looking for another course, study the materials that have collected by yourself. Read and solve similar problems from relevant textbooks. 

For repeat test takers that failed, did you find review courses to be more/less beneficial? And did you focus your study based on the diagnostics? My diagnostics from the exam were pretty consistent with diagnostics I got using PPI2PASS Exam Café so I knew my weaknesses and strengths going into the exam, so I'm trying to avoid overthinking my original study strategy as I prepare to retake. Looking my results, I basically failed this exam in 3 or 4 subject areas and I don't feel I put nearly enough time in preparation. Any advice would be appreciated.

@Sooner100 I took a course each time so I think that isn't the way to go for me. I almost want to find a tutor for areas I'm weak in but I honestly have no idea how to go about finding if that even exists. Going to start studying again in mid January after the holidays. Hopefully third times the charm because I'm only giving it one more go. :(

@Sooner100 I took a course each time so I think that isn't the way to go for me. I almost want to find a tutor for areas I'm weak in but I honestly have no idea how to go about finding if that even exists. Going to start studying again in mid January after the holidays. Hopefully third times the charm because I'm only giving it one more go. :(
@paigelida, does your local engineering school offer a review course? If so, that might give you access to "subject mater experts" that can help you with individual questions.

Keep your head up if you didn't pass.  I just found out I passed on my 4th time, Civil, Water & Resources depth.  While attempting to pass the test I had a baby and was busy with work, as most everyone is.  But I found the EET class and it was awesome! I highly, highly recommend this course to anyone trying to pass.  Nazrul and his co-workers are amazing and truly care about each and every student in the class.

Keep your head up and don't get down if you don't pass right away, keep trying!

The EET course really helped me (on-demand webinar for Water Resources) get past the hump after I failed the first time. Having all of the resources in one binder was extremely helpful and reduced the stress alot. Totally worth the money, especially because it replaces at least 3 references. Also, Nazrul seemed to know the test format and what to expect very well.

Another tip/what worked for me, was to load up on practice exams and test books. I then organized and classified each problem into a spreadsheet so I could find a representative problem. The list topped off at at least 30 questions for each topic for breadth. Didn't work for every problem but definitely helped on any of the transportation and materials questions.

@Zags12 sorry but what does EET stand for? Maybe I will look into this course for next time. I am WRE depth section as well. But I do mainly pipeline design now so I have very little experience in the other WRE areas in the past 4years.

@paigelida, does your local engineering school offer a review course? If so, that might give you access to "subject mater experts" that can help you with individual questions.
I think that was my mistake the first time around. I paid a lot of $$ to take the University of Maryland PE exam prep class. And I live 1.5hrs each way from the campus. That was a lot of time spent in the car driving to class every week. I didn't study as much outside of class as I should have so I can't completely blame the course/drive time but I'm not willing to make that commute again.

Back