Oct 2015 Power exam - Power Exam Sub Forum - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
sunguy

Oct 2015 Power exam

Oct 2015 power exam takers what did you think of the test? Morning test was really hard and evening session was ok. I felt like the question were either easy or really hard and none in between.

Here's a funny recap from a previous exam cycle. Re-reading it always makes me chuckle. Might help lighten the mood too while waiting on results. :thumbs:

EE - Power. "You sunk my battleship."

Preparation Time/Materials: 250 total hours. 5 textbooks, prep coursework notebook, 2 notebooks of graduate class material, calculators, snacks, rolling suitcase.

Money: ~$1,550.

General Observations: Arrived at my site 30 minutes prior to report time. Noticed that many others had literally libraries and libraries of books. Someone had a giant wagon with bungie cords holding all of the books together. Others just had a single piece of paper. Wild. I randomly started thinking of a national geographic special with narration by Morgan Freeman on PE test taking habits. I needed that laugh to clear my head.

AM Session: Felt the AM session was great. Only ended up with 6-7 that I didn't have a single solid answer or couldn't find it in my reference. I finished slightly early and checked only some of my work.

PM Session: Total unadulterated bloodbath. Couldn't seem to concentrate enough to find the equations I needed. Calculator was spitting out answers that were out of this world. Saw stuff that I barely covered in droves. About 2-3 hours into the afternoon, my brain felt like it had been through a dishwasher and I started hopping around from question to question. Not good. I will be lucky if I got a quarter to half right. I might as well have taken another discipline in the afternoon or gone to work. A monkey may have been able to do better.

Final Thoughts: As I left the exam area, I felt numb, dumb, and a little crushed. I felt like I blew the morning session out of the water. Then the PE got off a torpedo as I was heading to collect my stamp, promotion, and better life. I'm not very good at guessing and doing the math in my head all weekend I kept envisioning a percentage score in the upper 60s with an afternoon diagnostic that simply says "monkey". 6 months of neglecting my wife and family might be for nothing in the end except doing it all over again. I know the pass rate for repeaters is low, but what is the divorce rate?

Oh well. If I recall from a coworker, last years results were released in around 45-50 days following the exam. I think he got his in late May. We shall see. I guess the ultimate decision is now do I crack open another book....or another beer?

Oct 2015 power exam takers what did you think of the test? Morning test was really hard and evening session was ok. I felt like the question were either easy or really hard and none in between.

Agreed, morning was much harder than the afternoon. Which was good because I had much more brain power in the morning.

Yeah. The morning was tough. This is my second time. I'm not sure if the test was easier or that i just had more experience with the material. Afternoon was better.

The morning was tough. That exam beat up all the confidence I had in me .

I expected the morning to be easier than the afternoon; but it was the opposite.

First time taking it and I hope it all goes well.

Yeah. The morning was tough. This is my second time. I'm not sure if the test was easier or that i just had more experience with the material. Afternoon was better.

Thought the exact same thing. This is my 2nd time, and it definitely seemed easier, but I was also more familiar with the material.

When can we expect results?

There is a rumor that the results will be available within weeks from now...

I heard you can find out sooner if you look up your name under the license lookup for each state, does anyone know how much sooner?

When can we expect results?

There is a rumor that the results will be available within weeks from now...

Rumor I heard said it was days from now, counted in multiples of 7.

If you hit F5 once a second for precisely 2361 seconds, your results will magically appear.

Calling NCEES and your state board is also a good idea...make sure you give them a little attitude when you do it.

• Like 1

Stare into a mirror and say "NCEES" five times. A deranged test proctor will magically appear, hand you your scores and then stab you to death with a exam pencil. (CANDYMAN reference for all the young whippersnappers.)

• Like 2

They will be here before you know it. I think it took about 5-6 weeks in April '14. Keep checking here and look out for rumblings from other members. Then check the NCEES site. Different states announce them at different times. In the meantime, I recommend responsible drinking of craft beers.

• Like 2

I thought the morning was a nightmare. The afternoon was slightly better but not by much. How does everyone generally feel and do you think leaving there with a slightly skeptical outlook on results is a chance for passing?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, your feelings about the test are not factored into the cut score.

They have a very unique way of somehow making you feel real confident on how you did only to rip your heart out before Christmas.