Failures... What was your score? - Page 2 - OCT 2014 - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
msjesskessler

Failures... What was your score?

A guy last testing cycle (April) failed with a 56/80. That was the highest I had ever seen.

failed 53/80 - petroleum

What state are you in? 53 seems really high to fail. Do they tell you what passing is?

I wouldn't say really high....I thought 56/80 (70%) was the "safe zone"

Unfortunately, it's not. See my previous post.

Just some clarification for newbs. not many states actually provide the real scores anymore. These values are coming from the diagnostic reports which let you know how you did in comparison to others. I think this feature does a great disservice to test takers who try to play numbers games and don't study near enough the next time.

take the other information about your strengths and weaknesses more importantly than what you added the numbers to be.

• Like 1

First, my condolences to all of you who didn't make it this time. I failed my first try both the FE & PE. I've been where you are and hopefully can offer some encouragement. Take some time off and enjoy the holidays with your family and start back fresh with the New Year. Your family needs some time with you before you go back to the grind.

Don't worry too much about the cut score as it's irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Focus on your weakest areas from your diagnostic report and you will benefit greatly. If you took a prep class consider retaking it (if they offer a free repeat) or try a different prep class. Some people on this board have highly recommended EET if you are looking for a new or good review class. They offer a PM specific review that might help put you over the hump. The first time I took the PE I took the School of PE's review class and didn't pass. That was my fault because all I studied was the notes and problems from my prep class. In order to do well on this exam you need to work a lot of problems. You must be very comfortable with the basic concepts of each topic. Even though the concepts you study might be "basic" that doesn't mean it's necessarily easy. It's important to work as many problems as you can to cover as much of those concepts as you can.

There is no magic list of problems, pages from the CERM, or handful of equations that's going to guarantee that you pass. After finding out that I failed I made an outline of what I was going to do to pass the next time. I signed up for my free repeat with the School of PE and that helped. The next thing I did was I went on Amazon.com and looked up the CERM. If you follow the reviewers of the CERM you will see what else they purchased. It was through this method that I was able to find several very beneficial study guides that helped me pass. After finding about a half dozen or so study guides, my NCEES sample exams, the Goswami All-In-One practice exams, and my School of PE notebooks I was adequately prepared the second attempt.

Out of curiosity did any of you find the CERM helpful or was it useless on the exam? I found it worthless both times I took the PE exam. The Goswami All-In-One Exam Guide was a big asset and made up for the CERM's deficiencies. Hang in there and don't give up.

• Like 1

Just some clarification for newbs. not many states actually provide the real scores anymore. These values are coming from the diagnostic reports which let you know how you did in comparison to others. I think this feature does a great disservice to test takers who try to play numbers games and don't study near enough the next time.

I thought all states gave you # correct out of total in each category?!

A guy last testing cycle (April) failed with a 56/80. That was the highest I had ever seen.

More than one person. It should be noted that this is very rare and was for April 2014 Civil Transportation.

• Like 1

I thought all states gave you # correct out of total in each category?!

NCEES provides that as part of the diagnostic but it has nothing to do with what your score was or how close to the cut score or passing score really is. people infer and try to find others with the highest number and still fail. An exercise in futility.

• Like 1

The cut score is 80/80. There, nobody's hiding it anymore, now you know.

• Like 2

Dan, I found the CERM relatively helpless. Goswami presented itself in such a user-friendly manner that I couldn't help but rely on it. I may have opened the CERM once or twice on the obscure theory questions. Even on those, the Civil Engineering Handbook by Chen was much more helpful.

I'm not knocking the CERM becuase MANY folks use it and praise it, however, I didn't like it

• Like 1

Out of curiosity did any of you find the CERM helpful or was it useless on the exam? I found it worthless both times I took the PE exam. The Goswami All-In-One Exam Guide was a big asset and made up for the CERM's deficiencies. Hang in there and don't give up.

i found it extremely helpful. it was my primary resource. same goes for the MERM.

• Like 2

i found it extremely helpful. it was my primary resource. same goes for the MERM.

Ditto on the MERM.

Cant see the score yet.. I am on mobile.. wish I worked hard..

All I can say and everyone on this forum I hope would agree to is that it is disheartening to fail, but don't worry, just try harder the next time. Practice a lot, get the theory questions right. And forget the bygone failure. In the grand scheme of things, this failure will not even matter.

• Like 3

I failed again as well. :bawling: And I felt so much better about it this time and had studied more.

52/100 environmental. I'm thinking of making the switch to Civil/WR. Has anybody made that switch and done better?

49/80 i m very sad to, i studied so much for 4 months ignored whole world. but really found the exam was tough POWER.

have to buckle up for January, dnt give up, and dnt spoil your December start studying in January with new goal !

happy holidays .

• Like 1

I failed again as well. :bawling: And I felt so much better about it this time and had studied more.

52/100 environmental. I'm thinking of making the switch to Civil/WR. Has anybody made that switch and done better?

My adviser in college told me once to never take environmental unless you're pretty much an expert at it. He said it's a miserable exam so I took his advice and took the WR/Env exam. In my opinion you have more options with the WR/Env PE than the straight Env PE. You can work on a broader range of projects which includes the Env stuff. Hope that helps.

I reall

My adviser in college told me once to never take environmental unless you're pretty much an expert at it. He said it's a miserable exam so I took his advice and took the WR/Env exam. In my opinion you have more options with the WR/Env PE than the straight Env PE. You can work on a broader range of projects which includes the Env stuff. Hope that helps.

I really wish I had known this or I wouldn't have wasted my time and money on failing 2 exams. I took civil in college with several environmental classes. Sounds like WR/Env is the way to go.

Did you take a class to pass the exam?

I reall

I really wish I had known this or I wouldn't have wasted my time and money on failing 2 exams. I took civil in college with several environmental classes. Sounds like WR/Env is the way to go.

Yes. I took the School of PE's prep class. Some people on this board have said they've kind of slipped behind a bit and not keeping up with the changes NCEES is making. I've heard nothing but good things about EET. Based on my experience I would definitely recommend the School of PE but the one big drawback to them is that they don't have a comprehensive PM review. It's an 8 hour review (when I took it) and you really don't even scratch the surface with that. I hear that EET has an awesome PM review and their AM isn't too shabby neither. You can sign up for either AM or PM or both from what I'm to understand. A good prep class will help you get started on the right track to passing.

I think it really depends on the person...I used the CERM as my ONLY reference material and I just found out I passed first time in Civil WR. It's a great resource but (in my opinion) you really need to work out and perfect your strategy for using it come test day.

I reall

Yes. I took the School of PE's prep class. Some people on this board have said they've kind of slipped behind a bit and not keeping up with the changes NCEES is making. I've heard nothing but good things about EET. Based on my experience I would definitely recommend the School of PE but the one big drawback to them is that they don't have a comprehensive PM review. It's an 8 hour review (when I took it) and you really don't even scratch the surface with that. I hear that EET has an awesome PM review and their AM isn't too shabby neither. You can sign up for either AM or PM or both from what I'm to understand. A good prep class will help you get started on the right track to passing.

SoPE posted that they have updated their review class. They said that the also increased the afternoon portion from 8 hours to 24 hours of review.
  • Like 2