Failures... What was your score?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
at least a hundred passers have popsted and only 3 failures lol. guess people don't like to admit their failure!

I guess more than admitting, its got to do with the hurt. I admitted, but I can see if they are hurt and want some solitude, where they come from.

at least a hundred passers have popsted and only 3 failures lol. guess people don't like to admit their failure!
Would you want to admit your failure? Who does?

For those posting their scores, thank you, it actually does help those looking through trying to figure out how close they were. And don't give up, you'll pass it if you keep at it. Good luck!

Just some clarification for newbs. not many states actually provide the real scores anymore. These values are coming from the diagnostic reports which let you know how you did in comparison to others. I think this feature does a great disservice to test takers who try to play numbers games and don't study near enough the next time.

First, my condolences to all of you who didn't make it this time. I failed my first try both the FE & PE. I've been where you are and hopefully can offer some encouragement. Take some time off and enjoy the holidays with your family and start back fresh with the New Year. Your family needs some time with you before you go back to the grind.

Don't worry too much about the cut score as it's irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Focus on your weakest areas from your diagnostic report and you will benefit greatly. If you took a prep class consider retaking it (if they offer a free repeat) or try a different prep class. Some people on this board have highly recommended EET if you are looking for a new or good review class. They offer a PM specific review that might help put you over the hump. The first time I took the PE I took the School of PE's review class and didn't pass. That was my fault because all I studied was the notes and problems from my prep class. In order to do well on this exam you need to work a lot of problems. You must be very comfortable with the basic concepts of each topic. Even though the concepts you study might be "basic" that doesn't mean it's necessarily easy. It's important to work as many problems as you can to cover as much of those concepts as you can.

There is no magic list of problems, pages from the CERM, or handful of equations that's going to guarantee that you pass. After finding out that I failed I made an outline of what I was going to do to pass the next time. I signed up for my free repeat with the School of PE and that helped. The next thing I did was I went on Amazon.com and looked up the CERM. If you follow the reviewers of the CERM you will see what else they purchased. It was through this method that I was able to find several very beneficial study guides that helped me pass. After finding about a half dozen or so study guides, my NCEES sample exams, the Goswami All-In-One practice exams, and my School of PE notebooks I was adequately prepared the second attempt.

Out of curiosity did any of you find the CERM helpful or was it useless on the exam? I found it worthless both times I took the PE exam. The Goswami All-In-One Exam Guide was a big asset and made up for the CERM's deficiencies. Hang in there and don't give up.

Just some clarification for newbs. not many states actually provide the real scores anymore. These values are coming from the diagnostic reports which let you know how you did in comparison to others. I think this feature does a great disservice to test takers who try to play numbers games and don't study near enough the next time.
I thought all states gave you # correct out of total in each category?!

I thought all states gave you # correct out of total in each category?!
NCEES provides that as part of the diagnostic but it has nothing to do with what your score was or how close to the cut score or passing score really is. people infer and try to find others with the highest number and still fail. An exercise in futility.

Dan, I found the CERM relatively helpless. Goswami presented itself in such a user-friendly manner that I couldn't help but rely on it. I may have opened the CERM once or twice on the obscure theory questions. Even on those, the Civil Engineering Handbook by Chen was much more helpful.

I'm not knocking the CERM becuase MANY folks use it and praise it, however, I didn't like it

Out of curiosity did any of you find the CERM helpful or was it useless on the exam? I found it worthless both times I took the PE exam. The Goswami All-In-One Exam Guide was a big asset and made up for the CERM's deficiencies. Hang in there and don't give up.

i found it extremely helpful. it was my primary resource. same goes for the MERM.

Back