How I Passed the Thermal / Fluid PE exam - Page 7 - Mechanical - Engineer Boards
Jump to content
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Ramnares P.E.

How I Passed the Thermal / Fluid PE exam

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, GordyJ said:

Same as the exam specs on NCEES website 

Seriously?

What does your diagnostic report say under: 

Hydraulic and Fluid Applications > Hydraulic and Fluid Equipment > Actuators

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, PEinIllinois said:

Seriously?

What does your diagnostic report say under: 

Hydraulic and Fluid Applications > Hydraulic and Fluid Equipment > Actuators

NCEES website provides a sample diagnostic report to give an example how they are formatted. But it is best to just cover all the areas listed in the syllabus, because there is no way of knowing what will be thrown in on the exam. That is why the exam is so hard to prepare for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From my experience, aside from the MERM, my most valuable reference was a ring binder where I compiled the most commonly used unit conversions and equations I came across while preparing for the exam. I made these sheets after studying for a couple of months, and they were a huge time saver on the exam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Alex Marchena said:

From my experience, aside from the MERM, my most valuable reference was a ring binder where I compiled the most commonly used unit conversions and equations I came across while preparing for the exam. I made these sheets after studying for a couple of months, and they were a huge time saver on the exam.

As a first time prep taker I strongly suggest prepping utilizing Lindeburg's Engineering Unit Conversions as this is the most comprehensive.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2014 at 3:47 PM, Ramnares P.E. said:

Work the problems over and over again.

I appreciate the write-up but have always been perplexed by folks who work the same problems many times over.  Once I know the "trick" to a problem (or superfluous information), I don't see much value in reworking it more than once or twice.  But maybe that's just me....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, GordyJ said:

I appreciate the write-up but have always been perplexed by folks who work the same problems many times over.  Once I know the "trick" to a problem (or superfluous information), I don't see much value in reworking it more than once or twice.  But maybe that's just me....

For me, doing the problems over and over again (3 to 4 times) helped me ingrain the steps for certain types of problems and it also helped me memorize a lot of equations, which saves a lot of time. Also, doing the problems over and over again means do one pass it, and do another pass at it a week or two later. By then you may have forgot part of the steps, but the 3rd or 4th pass you should just know what to do.  Everyone studies differently though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2018 at 1:00 PM, Audi driver, P.E. said:

Appreciate your post here @mckenz007. The only thing I would caution others about your post is regarding steam tables. The steam tables in the MERM were definitely NOT enough for my exam and a lot of time could have been wasted interpolating, when it was a simple look up.  Can you do it without them? Yes. Would a person be better served with a better set of tables? Absolutely. Since there are excellent free tables available, I see no reason why someone would not study with and bring more complete tables to the exam, for use.  Here are your best bets for both standard and SI unit steam tables (both free):

Here is a link for the best Imperial units table I could find (I did a lot of searching) http://www.tuner.tw/omega%20cd/zsection/STEAM_TA.PDF  and a GREAT compilation of SI units (tables 1, 2, and 3) here: https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/srd/NISTIR5078.htm

Does anyone know if the PDF from the tuner website has a new link? I can't seem to find the Imperial units table that was mentioned here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 8:40 AM, Doug E. Fresh said:

Does anyone know if the PDF from the tuner website has a new link? I can't seem to find the Imperial units table that was mentioned here.

Hi Doug, I can't find those quickly so I just scanned my copy and posted it up on a burner google drive account:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qrTbLmf5TUG0GZEAJx1aK_YGDAAE9yKM

They were a generational copy before I got them. Now you have a few sparse notes of my own added in. Still appear to be readable though.

Hope this helps.

And here's the original:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-9pRcKXjVBtAi_OG70YJXXa55DB492OF

Edited by Audi driver, P.E.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Audi driver, P.E. said:

Hi Doug, I can't find those quickly so I just scanned my copy and posted it up on a burner google drive account:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qrTbLmf5TUG0GZEAJx1aK_YGDAAE9yKM

They were a generational copy before I got them. Now you have a few sparse notes of my own added in. Still appear to be readable though.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Audi. I actually saw your response with this on another thread. Coming back here to say thanks for the quick reply.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an old thread, but if anyone is still reading it, be sure to realize that the exam format is changing to the computer-based test after October of 2019 (for Mechanical).  This is why I encourage everyone to consider taking their exam this year

You can see the study plan that I used back in April 2016.  Keep in mind that there have been some specification changes since I took the exam though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a detailed look at how I passed the Mechanical TFS exam the first time look at my thread here: 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 8:40 AM, Doug E. Fresh said:

Does anyone know if the PDF from the tuner website has a new link? I can't seem to find the Imperial units table that was mentioned here.

Found the pdf using the wayback machine.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19N_XU-SgYzAJtyMHHA96YPUmI1R9qwy5/view?usp=sharing

STEAM_TA.PDF

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone, great info on here. Gearing up for the April 2020 Thermo-Fluids exam. Silly question, besides the practice exam on NCEES and MERM, how does one get a hold of more practice exams? I saw 2001 as well as 2008/2011 mentioned here. Anything helps. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jfig said:

Hello everyone, great info on here. Gearing up for the April 2020 Thermo-Fluids exam. Silly question, besides the practice exam on NCEES and MERM, how does one get a hold of more practice exams? I saw 2001 as well as 2008/2011 mentioned here. Anything helps. Thanks!

PPI has some practice exams formulated for the CBT. They also have an online database of practice problems, quizzes, and two practice exams all updated for CBT. I’ve been using this to study. There are a lot of errors in the solutions but so far this is the best resource I’ve found for solving lots of problems for the CBT.

You can get the older NCEES practice exams on eBay or online but keep in mind that some of the older exams covered machine design whereas the new exams do not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...