How I Passed the Thermal / Fluid PE exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anybody who passed the Thermal/fluids test form April mind sharing what they did to pass? I'm trying not to get burned out from study with about a month left to go

Can't imagine what folks did to prep for April '15 was much different than my write up above. Don't get discouraged now. You're just three weeks or so away from the exam. Hit the books hard now and relax later. You do NOT want to take this exam again. Best of luck.

If you've studied well, then you need to relax and get organized. Then refresh on problem areas once more and pass it!

Ok, just got word I passed and wanted to write a thank you to Mr. Ram PE for writing this post.  I followed this outline with a few tweaks and an added class but I am VERY glad I found this at the beginning of my studies.  Anyways, below is my thoughts and changes to the outline.  This was my first try at this exam and it proved successful.

My start Date was mid August sometime. Total time was between 150 to 170 hours.

One additional study tool I used was School of PE for the Mechanical PE exam.  It was a great refresher for those morning topics but don't expect it to be much help for the afternoon, that is where the below write up kicks in."Here's what worked for me:1. Based on the work I've done daily, as well as the subjects I've studied in Grad school, I knew in advance that I would be taking the Thermal/Fluids. Decide what afternoon session you want to take and focus on that. Do not waste time trying to master all three major disciplines. Thermal and Fluids is my discipline as well, no brainer for me.2. Once I applied and got my letter of approval, I purchased the MERM, Thermal/Fluids Six Minute Solutions, NCEES 2008 practice exam, and NCEES 2001 practice exam. The 2008 exam was updated in 2011. The actual content is the same. The 2008 exam contained all three disciplines. The 2011 book simply split them apart and sold them individually. The NCEES 2001 exam is very difficult to get hold of but well worth the effort and money.

Was not able to get the 2001 exam, but got the rest of these books. One additional MUST have in my opinion was the Lindburg Unit conversion book (2nd most used book at my exam desk).  Get it early so you use it during your studies,3. I prepped for this exam with the attitude that it was a one-or-none deal. I was only going to take this exam once. At the time I started prepping for the exam I had a one-year old son to deal with AND I was pursuing a second MS degree. Why am I telling you this? You need buy-in from your spouse/significant other. My wife and parents spent countless hours while I studied late into the night and all day on weekends.

Extremely important, it just became business as usual during the week, home from work, dinner, then books/class until sleep, rinse and repeat. Buy-in from spouse a must.4. I did not read the MERM. I skimmed through the MERM to get a general idea where the sections were located and what information was in the Appendix. 

Same5. Copy the MERM appendix and have it bound separately. It will save you a lot of time during the exam and make it much easier during practice. It will also save the life-time of your MERM binding. Print and bind the Index also.

Didn't do the appendix, but did do the index (it was downloadable from PPI).  3rd Most Used Reference at my exam desk.  Appendix would have been nice, but I was too lazy to scan it all in.6. I began by working the Six Minute Solutions book. Do not be afraid to look at the answers if you get stuck the first time through. As I was working the SMS, I would find the formulas in the MERM and highlight them AND record them in my notes. If I didn't have a clue how to work the question, I would read the solution, find all the equations, and work through it using the solution. Highlight your equations in the MERM and in your notes for easy reference. I worked through the SMS 7 times before I got 100% correct under 8 hours. In fact, by the time I was at the end of my preparation, I was working through the SMS in about 4 hours and getting 100%. A lot of it at that point will seem like rote memorization, don't be scared of it. As you're working through the problems, read and understand the methodology. Work the problems over and over again.

Agree 100% with this!  I worked it about 5 times, by the final time you can almost do every problem in your head.  It makes you remember pages in the MERM and what sections will combine with each other for a particular type of problem.  I have read a lot of hate about the SMS, it has it's flaws, but I think it is an excellent source for problems that use the equations and chapters that are relevant for the exam.7. Once I completed the SMS, I moved on to the NCEES 2008/2011 exam. Again, I worked this using the same methodology as above. I got 100% correct, under 8 hours after my 5th attempt or so. Use the same method of writing down the equations you did not know and reading the methodology.

Worked this so many times I would know what the next problem was and start solving before a flipped the page.  Really helped with memorizing the MERM locations and the problem types.

8. Worked the NCEES 2001 exam using the same approach described in (6) and (7) above. You'll see a lot of posters saying keep an exam to test yourself the last week or so. I found that working as many problems as possible with as much time left to prep was the best strategy.

Did not have this exam, but I would have gotten it if it wasn't 3,000 dollars on the internet. Maybe you can pick one up off this forum.9. Now I moved on to the MERM. I worked all the main sections noted on the NCEES breakdown. Skip the math, project management, plant engineering, statics etc. I worked the Fluids, Heat Transfer, Thermo, HVAC, Machine Design sections. I did NOT work any of the 1-hour time limit problems. I was able to work all the problems in those sections twice. Do not be afraid if you get stuck and need to read through the solutions.

I didn't order the MERM Problems Book until the last 2 weeks before the exam.  I went through the sections that pertain to the T&FS and used the solutions a whole lot.  Never reached the confidence level that I did with the SMS and the NCEES practice exam because I felt the problems were a little harder.  But, do them anyways, at least once.  10. By this time, I had approximately 10 days left before the exam. I worked the SMS and each of the NCEES exams the first three days. I re-worked the MERM problems in the Fluid, Heat Transfer, and Thermo sections.

My last week I worked the SMS and NCEES, Only worked the MERM once.

11. I went through the MERM, using the notes that I made as I studied (here's where the highlighting comes in handy) and tabbed what I felt was important. At this point I knew the MERM and the bound appendix intimately so I didn't feel the need to tab that much. I certainly tabbed the major sections of the MERM and a few diagrams. Follow the now famous Shaggy tabbing method on this site.

I waited until the last week to tab my MERM, but I didn't over-tab, only the most used pages.  I wish I did it sooner so I would have been really comfortable with the tabbing for the test but the last week work of studying was sufficient for me to get used to most of the tabs.  12. I took Thursday (the day before the exam) off. I was up early (normal time I leave for work 0500) and did one run through of the SMS, NCEES 2008, and NCEES 2011. I drove to the exam site and ensured I knew where the building was. Then I drove home and packed my bag. I took a back-pack. I took the MERM, the MERM appendix I bound, Steam Tables, Lindeburg conversion book, sample exams, 2 calculators, and ear-plugs. I put my money, approval letter, and ID cards in a zip lock bag. Then I did absolutely nothing exam related the rest of the day. I took my son to play-time, watched a few movies etc.

I worked the SMS & NCEES until about 2pm on Thursday.  Packed it up and had a nice afternoon and dinner with the wifey. I took everything mentioned above except the steam tables, used the steam tables in the MERM for my entire prep.  In bed by 930, which was terrible because the Patriots were playing thursday night that week...13. Exam day I was up early and went to the site. I finished both sections (AM and PM) with over an hour to spare. I did NOT go through and rate questions etc. I simply worked the questions in order. If I didn't feel satisfied with an answer, or if I had to guess, I put a mark next to it and moved on. At the end, I came back and re-worked the questions I had doubts on. I still left the exam room very early both sessions. I felt that leaving the AM session early and giving myself extra time for lunch allowed me to clear my head and prep for the PM session.

I finished the morning with about 1.5 hours to spare but I stayed in the test center until the end just reassuring that my bubbles were filled in correctly. Felt really good when i went for lunch break, but then used the entire 4 hours for the afternoon section, I wouldn't say it was much harder but there were several problems that I struggled to find the solution path too.  I didnt rate questions either, just went one by one, if I spent more than 30 seconds on one and didnt have an idea of a path forward, I starred it and moved on and went back at the end.   14. Went through the now well known process of self-doubt and anger at the lack of timely results.

This was terrible but glad it is over!
Ram's outline is excellent and I would recommend it to any T&FS test taker.  If you need the structure to get through the morning exam prep, I would highly recommend the School of PE class.  Stick to it and I'm sure you will have a successful career as a PE! Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats TomMechanical!  Glad to hear that I was able to help in some (little) way.  Good additions to my write up, I'm sure future test takers will find it very helpful.

I just want to reiterate that Ram's methodology is indeed a solid approach.  I'm guessing that if you follow what he did to the letter, you too will pass (everything short of a guarantee here).  I followed it as closely as I could have (I found his post about half way through my prep period, so there was no way to do it all) and I passed on my first time taking the exam.  I had both NCEES practice exams, and if you can only get the newer one, you're really not missing out on much. About half of the problems are repeats and the content of other half wasn't really represented on the exam, anyway.  Furthermore, the newer practice set has better solutions, IMO, if that makes sense (some are better explained, anyway).  About the only thing gained from the older one is that it comes with all the focus sections, so there's no need to buy them separately.  I don't know if I would recommend working those necessarily, but surely if you have it, it wouldn't hurt to do them if time allows.   I did not work those, and after taking the test, wished I had, but I passed anyway.  If I was to go back and do it over, I would have probably liked to have had the SMS, and would have worked those in lieu of the focus problems for the other sections.  As it was, I didn't really have time to do either one.  Either way, my recommendation is to get as broad a representation of subject matter as possible, to practice with.

A couple other odds and ends things.  The older MERMs have the problems right in the text, so there is no need to buy a separate problems book, like there is with edition 13.  My buddy loaned me his 12th edition to use (as well as the 2001 practice exam) and I ended up buying my own copy of the 13th edition because I wanted to make notes in the text and do my own highlighting (his was bare... don't know how he did that, honestly, but he passed :blink: ).  I saw test some takers that had the 12th (the majority of test takers) and some with the 13th, but really no others in the exam room.  If I was going to do it again, I would buy the 12th edition because the practice problems are right in the text.  I would probably also buy the "Quick reference" book of equations (Companion book to the MERM).  The MERM is a great reference, to be sure, but you really really have to wade through a ton of information to find pertinent equations for the problems you're looking to solve.  You definitely want to make your own reference binder of equations, but you won't have everything you need... there's just no way.  You'd have to duplicate that book.

I don't think I can say this part enough: you definitely, without a doubt, want the Engineering Unit Conversions book.  And in your practice, highlight the conversions you used.  I also recommend learning to do the conversions in different ways.  What I mean is if you always use g=32.2 ft/sec^2 you end up only memorizing that value and you will have to do more conversions than necessary, in some cases.  But, if during your practice, you plug in 386 in/sec^2 where it's appropriate and remember to use that value, you may end up saving yourself some time.

Also, (for TFS guys) you will want better steam tables than what is in the MERM.  Those tables are pretty lousy, actually.  You can spend some dollars and get the ASME steam tables for Industrial Use or you can get good ones for free and put them into your binder (like I did).  Here is a link for the best Imperial units table I could find (I did a lot of searching) http://www.tuner.tw/omega%20cd/zsection/STEAM_TA.PDF  and a GREAT compilation of SI units (tables 1, 2, and 3) here: https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/srd/NISTIR5078.htm

There was definitely a need for a good SI units table.  Note, the Imperial units table is from ASME data, whereas the SI units tables are from the newest standard developed by NIST.  I know how to work a Mollier diagram and had a large format one with me, but it's more accurate to look values up in a table, IMO.

I really want to emphasize one thing from Ram's post that may not stand out on first read of it: know the methodology, not just the applicable equation(s).  You definitely DO want to know the underlying theory behind the problems you're working and why you're using the equation you're using, etc.

One last parting word of wisdom on exam prep: the test makers know that the MERM exists and know its content well.  They write questions that are not quickly looked up in it, or that may not be clearly answered by quickly reading a section that deals with the type of information you're looking for, and they use terms and phrases that Lundeberg doesn't necessarily use or explain in a way that can easily answer their riddle (otherwise it would be pretty easy: hey, they want this... here's where MERM answers it).  You've got to be able to interpret what the question is looking for, to a certain extent.  Just don't let that trip you up, by knowing how to approach problems from more than just the MERM way.  After reading this, you may ask: is the MERM really the reference I need, then?  Yes.  Categorically, yes.  You just ALSO need to need to know how others deal with the same information by, for example, reviewing texts from your engineering course work.

Good to hear that you found the write up helpful Audi.  Congrats on passing and thanks for posting those steam table links - they should be very helpful for future test takers or anyone who uses steam tables on a regular basis.

Good to hear that you found the write up helpful Audi.  Congrats on passing and thanks for posting those steam table links - they should be very helpful for future test takers or anyone who uses steam tables on a regular basis.
I totally did.  I even printed it out and would remind myself... "hey, I need to keep doing more.  He did it, I can too."

Thank you for posting the link of those steam tables Audi.
No problem.  I posted them on another thread too, but this thread seemed a good and logical place to repost.  You will want to note that between the imperial table in the MERM and the one I posted, you have about as comprehensive a set as you can find.  The MERM table fills in a couple gaps, but it's really pretty limited otherwise.

Was convinced I didn't need the SI Unit Steam Tables when I walked into the exam... I'll say no more.

"and they use terms and phrases that Lundeberg doesn't necessarily use or explain in a way that can easily answer their riddle (otherwise it would be pretty easy: hey, they want this... here's where MERM answers it). "

Audi, Sounds like a book which explains all the mechanical engineering terms and phrases would help? Here is the link of a such kind of book.

http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Mechanical-Engineering-Terms-Ramalingam/dp/8122426085

"and they use terms and phrases that Lundeberg doesn't necessarily use or explain in a way that can easily answer their riddle (otherwise it would be pretty easy: hey, they want this... here's where MERM answers it). "

Audi, Sounds like a book which explains all the mechanical engineering terms and phrases would help? Here is the link of a such kind of book.

http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Mechanical-Engineering-Terms-Ramalingam/dp/8122426085
Possibly.  I don't know.  I don't have that book and have no plans to buy it.  I prepared using the MERM and my engineering course books from circa 1996.  If you have access to the same, and have worked in industry, you shouldn't need a book like that.

Thinking about your question more, I think there are a few more appropriate sources that I would consider before buying that text.  The Machinery's Handbook, Mark's Manual, CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, any or all of the ASHRAE handbooks.  The book you found there seems pretty limited.  If you have any or all of the others, I think you'd be ahead of the game.

Mark's standard handbook looks good. I may just get this book for the exam. One of my friend who just passed October 2015 civil transportation have the same opinion as you. She said in exam she found terms and phrases that she had no idea of on at least 4 problems and which MERM does not use or explain. So by just being cautious I think a handbook or engineering dictionary might come in handy on the exam day!

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum; and have been preparing for the April ME-TF exam for April 16. I have a question. Has anyone found the Schaum's TF or Fluids manual helpful for preparation or during the exam?

Thanks

Back