Guest Chrizpah

A PE Raise

Guest Chrizpah

For those that have gotten a pay raise, is this something that was:

a) Atomatic once you passed

:) Something your boss offered upon hearing the good news

c) Something that you had to request

d) Something that will happen at your next review

Just found out I passed and as long as I've been with my firm nobody else has passed so I don't have anything to compare it too.

Also I'm a Mech Eng with a MEP consulting firm. What sort of % raise are you seeing if your in the same field as myself. Thanks.

I would be curious to see what other ME's have had experience with, I am Civil ,so the PE is a lot different salary wise in our world.

But I didnt get anything automatic, I had to go do "the talk" with the boss, still unresolved at this point but "working on it sort of speak"

I think it depends on years of experience.

ONe thing I always do & recommend is to put a semi private resume on monster.com, you can use a hotmail or yahoo email addy and leave your name off and you would be suprised the kind of salary info you can get just by all the emails you will get from headhunters, Just dont give them a phone #, cause they will call you night &day

Guest Chrizpah
ONe thing I always do & recommend is to put a semi private resume on monster.com, you can use a hotmail or yahoo email addy and leave your name off and you would be suprised the kind of salary info you can get just by all the emails you will get from headhunters, Just dont give them a phone #, cause they will call you night &day

That's a great idea! I'll try that.

Guest GTScott

I am also a civil PE, but my first PE raise was automatic as a function of an older company policy. When I received the automatic raise, I was also told that further review would be done at the annual review (this week). To aid that process, I did some research online and with other people in my area and came up with the number that I wanted. I submitted that number to the powers that be. If I get it, great. If I don't, I will look elsewhere. I honestly think I should/could have asked for more. I figured I could not be mad with no getting what i wanted if I didn't point blank tell them what I wanted.

-GT

^ Mine was automatic per company policy. Nothing that knocked my socks off, but a decent :appl:.

I didn't get a raise!!!!....oh, wait a minute, never mind, I didn't pass the DAMN test! :appl: <--I just thought this one looked cool.....FIRST POST in the new server!!!!

I was supposed to get an automatic 20%. I passed the test last April, got 15 in August and am still waitng on the other 5. Kind of a pisser.

Guest GTScott

I am with you...I am aiming for a 20% overall raise but have only seen half of that so far.

Damn. My PE was shortly after my annual 5% raise. So they gave me another 5%.

Damn. My PE was shortly after my annual 5% raise. So they gave me another 5%.

Yeah, but I don't make shit to begin with.

Guest twada

I moved to California from Chicago a few years ago. I thought Civil and Structure engineers here earn a lot more than Electrical and Mechanical. In Illinois, Civil and Structure engineers earn less than Electrical and Mechanical. But after reading a lot about PA raise from Civil and Structural people, they sound like they are still paid less. Is it true?

Guest 3gorgesdam

This is an informative topic. I am a new PE (Civil Structure) and haven't seen anything yet after the talk. Yes, had to do the talk too.

Edited by 3gorgesdam

Guest joe_denver

I got a raise a month *before* the exam ~5%, which according to the employee manual is an 'equity adjustment and not based on merit'. After passing I got a $1000 raise automatically. My next possible Annual Salary Review is 12 months from the 1st salary adjustment... Guess I am SOL.

Mine was not automatic. I had the talk and I think I ended up with a raise (25%) outside of my companies normal review process, only because I think they thought I was leaving. I have my normal review coming up and hoping for another adjustment to get me where I should be.

Guest Chrizpah
Mine was not automatic. I had the talk and I think I ended up with a raise (25%) outside of my companies normal review process, only because I think they thought I was leaving. I have my normal review coming up and hoping for another adjustment to get me where I should be.

What discipline are you?

Guest RleonPE

I was offered a 62% raise to leave my former employer to come aboard to my current employer (after passing the P.E. exam). I have been here 6 months and was just offered a $1/hr raise. -_-

Civil Engineer - Project manager - Land development - 6 years experience

Guest GTScott

Well, speak of the devil...my raise has been finalized. In the end, I ended up with a 22.12% raise. I will be supersizing my value meal now.

-GT

Guest Chrizpah
I was offered a 62% raise to leave my former employer to come aboard to my current employer (after passing the P.E. exam). I have been here 6 months and was just offered a $1/hr raise. -_-

HOLY COW!

What discipline? And how many years have you been working?

Guest Spike2780

I'm a mechanical engineer. I got a 6.5% "automatic" raise. After 4 years with the company (which is how long you have to wait to apply for the PE anyway), you can get bumped up to an E3 (associate engineer), but you have to have your PE, too. So if they're happy with your work, etc, it's pretty automatic to get a promotion to E3 and a "salary adjustment" as soon as you pass the PE. My company is on the smaller side for engineering firms, though, so my raise may not be as much as some of the larger firms out there.

When I passed I claimed the $2,000 PE bonus. It was supposed to be for passing the test. They denied the bonus to me under the allegation that I did not have a FL license. I replied saying that all all they Engs I know who passed the test in the company get paid just by showing their passing letters to their supvs. Then they changed the lyric and said I took the test on another jurisdiction. That was their bottom line .

I applied for my FL license and got my number recently so I claimed my bonus again. I swear I am not surprised: Denied again. Now the system is locked out and does not permit the release of the payment. The icing on the cake is that will not get a raise neither because "even with your solid performance you are new in the group and still learning". That happened last week during my evaluation and learn about the bonus denial today.

Don't know what to think about all this. I love what I do in my job but really think is time to get out of the box and seriously look somewhere else. The freaking sad part of this is that I turned down offerts (2) last summer, and one a couple of weeks ago thinking things will get better here. Sorry about the rant...I am a little depress right now and very dissapointed. On top of that have not had a raise in three years. -_-

Guest MetroRAFB
When I passed I claimed the $2,000 PE bonus. It was supposed to be for passing the test. They denied the bonus to me under the allegation that I did not have a FL license. I replied saying that all all they Engs I know who passed the test in the company get paid just by showing their passing letters to their supvs. Then they changed the lyric and said I took the test on another jurisdiction. That was their bottom line .

I applied for my FL license and got my number recently so I claimed my bonus again. I swear I am not surprised: Denied again. Now the system is locked out and does not permit the release of the payment. The icing on the cake is that will not get a raise neither because "even with your solid performance you are new in the group and still learning". That happened last week during my evaluation and learn about the bonus denial today.

Don't know what to think about all this. I love what I do in my job but really think is time to get out of the box and seriously look somewhere else. The freaking sad part of this is that I turned down offerts (2) last summer, and one a couple of weeks ago thinking things will get better here. Sorry about the rant...I am a little depress right now and very dissapointed. On top of that have not had a raise in three years. -_-

Luis,

Sorry to hear that, sounds like they're jerking you around. Hit the road! Liking your job is important, but no raise in 3 years and no raise or bonus after the major accomplishment of passing the PE exam tells me they don't really value you that much. I think you should begin a serious job search, and see what else is out there for you. Don't burn any bridges or walk in and quit tomorrow, but I do think you should do some discreet looking. What you find might surprise you! Good luck!

Thanks Metro,

Things are somehow complicated for me. I am almost 43 and my oldest will be in college this fall so I don't have too much time or room to move. We are very close as a family and part of the problem is that the kids and wife really want to stay in FL. That was part of the problem last summer and two weeks ago. We will have a talk tonight as a famlily to discuss options. Have a good chance to land a job in N.C. with a great company. The option of going back to P.R. will also be discussed.

But know what? I am OK. Dissapointed and yeah...depress right now. I did not want to move to FL from TN a few years ago. I was doing great there. But we moved and one of my co-workers lured me to study for the PE and I thank God for that. Should I stayed in TN who knows. I might not be a P.E. today. Tomorrow will be another day and in all my years God never gave me a load I was not able to carry. -_-

I .... ahhh forget it.

-_-