A PE Raise

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I passed I claimed the $2,000 PE bonus. It was supposed to be for passing the test. They denied the bonus to me under the allegation that I did not have a FL license. I replied saying that all all they Engs I know who passed the test in the company get paid just by showing their passing letters to their supvs. Then they changed the lyric and said I took the test on another jurisdiction. That was their bottom line .

I applied for my FL license and got my number recently so I claimed my bonus again. I swear I am not surprised: Denied again. Now the system is locked out and does not permit the release of the payment. The icing on the cake is that will not get a raise neither because "even with your solid performance you are new in the group and still learning". That happened last week during my evaluation and learn about the bonus denial today.

Don't know what to think about all this. I love what I do in my job but really think is time to get out of the box and seriously look somewhere else. The freaking sad part of this is that I turned down offerts (2) last summer, and one a couple of weeks ago thinking things will get better here. Sorry about the rant...I am a little depress right now and very dissapointed. On top of that have not had a raise in three years. -_-

When I passed I claimed the $2,000 PE bonus. It was supposed to be for passing the test. They denied the bonus to me under the allegation that I did not have a FL license. I replied saying that all all they Engs I know who passed the test in the company get paid just by showing their passing letters to their supvs. Then they changed the lyric and said I took the test on another jurisdiction. That was their bottom line .
I applied for my FL license and got my number recently so I claimed my bonus again. I swear I am not surprised: Denied again. Now the system is locked out and does not permit the release of the payment. The icing on the cake is that will not get a raise neither because "even with your solid performance you are new in the group and still learning". That happened last week during my evaluation and learn about the bonus denial today.

Don't know what to think about all this. I love what I do in my job but really think is time to get out of the box and seriously look somewhere else. The freaking sad part of this is that I turned down offerts (2) last summer, and one a couple of weeks ago thinking things will get better here. Sorry about the rant...I am a little depress right now and very dissapointed. On top of that have not had a raise in three years. -_-

Luis,

Sorry to hear that, sounds like they're jerking you around. Hit the road! Liking your job is important, but no raise in 3 years and no raise or bonus after the major accomplishment of passing the PE exam tells me they don't really value you that much. I think you should begin a serious job search, and see what else is out there for you. Don't burn any bridges or walk in and quit tomorrow, but I do think you should do some discreet looking. What you find might surprise you! Good luck!

Thanks Metro,

Things are somehow complicated for me. I am almost 43 and my oldest will be in college this fall so I don't have too much time or room to move. We are very close as a family and part of the problem is that the kids and wife really want to stay in FL. That was part of the problem last summer and two weeks ago. We will have a talk tonight as a famlily to discuss options. Have a good chance to land a job in N.C. with a great company. The option of going back to P.R. will also be discussed.

But know what? I am OK. Dissapointed and yeah...depress right now. I did not want to move to FL from TN a few years ago. I was doing great there. But we moved and one of my co-workers lured me to study for the PE and I thank God for that. Should I stayed in TN who knows. I might not be a P.E. today. Tomorrow will be another day and in all my years God never gave me a load I was not able to carry. -_-

Last edited by a moderator:
I've already whined about it in other posts around the forum, but since I don't feel any better I might as well whine about it again: Basically I work for a "state" government (island territory) that is going broke, and not only will I not get a raise, but my pay's been cut 10% and might even go down another 10% - part of "austerity" measures by our government. Which, of course, don't apply to at least half the government, but for some reason apply to everyone in my agency even though our salries are 100% federally funded. On top of that, it now appears that the "savings" realized from the 10% cuts have gone into hiring an additional 150 politically-connected new employees, government-wide. And after facing criticism for that, and some over-the-cap salaries for some of his officials, our governor has responded by issuing an executive order that freezes all new hires and all salary increases, for whatever reason. So, basically,

-_-

Luis,

you are getting the shaft there, you should get out for your own feeling of self-worth, let alone the money. it seems to me that with almost 18 million people in Florida there should be jobs for you there so that you and your family can be happy.

where is your son going to go to college? Mine is going to be a Wyoming Cowboy next year!

as for Dleg, that's a tough one. enjoy the scenery and the knowlege that you are doing good things. We took a vacation on the big island a few years back, and i must confess that i was plotting to sell the house on the mainland and take a job as a busboy just to stay there.

I was kinda lucky in that I got my pass letter about a week or so before my annual review. So, my boss brought it up during the review and I was so happy with what he offered, I just said thanks! My boss is really cool. I was supposed to take the exam in April and couldn't due to a snafu by the board. My boss felt so bad for me that he gave me a partial "almost PE" raise at that time. Then gave me a really good raise when I finally passed.

On a side note, my friends thought I was nuts for taking this job. My salary was very low when I first started three years ago. I liked my boss and the company setup, so I took the chance. My salary has increased 85% over the three years. Turned out well, don't you think? Not meaning to brag, I was just thinking about my progress with this company today.

Luis - I agree you're getting screwed. It sounds like your employer is treating you differently than the other people there? I would start looking elsewhere...

Wow .. we must all be having annual review about the same time. My supervisor and I were discussing my performance appraisal this afternoon. He will have the write-up completed tomorrow for me to review before he submits it.

In my agency, it seems that we now have a policy that nobody is a '5' on a scale of 1 to 5 per the new management. It seems that managers and supervisors are being instructed to start the appraisal at the '3' range and then adjust up or down depending on specific circumstances. However, under no circumstances is anyone to be assigned a '5'.

I am waiting to see what happens now. It should be interesting to see how this new policy plays out now that the governor announced he intends to provide merit pay increases of up to 10% for the most 'excellent' employees.

Luis --

That is a serious hose job. I am in the same boat as you (and Dleg for that matter), I am more-or-less happy with my job and location but there are just a few things holding me back from being really content. All of my family lives where I do and it would be a burden to move, but my wife and I have finally seriously talked about it.

I think if you feel you are being disrespected, then you have to either: 1) find peace with it because everything else balances out, or 2) move on. If you are unhappy and stay, it will end up reflecting in everything that you do and you wouldn't want that after all of the work you have undertaken to obtain your licensure.

I wish you the best.

JR

Luis --That is a serious hose job. I am in the same boat as you (and Dleg for that matter), I am more-or-less happy with my job and location but there are just a few things holding me back from being really content. All of my family lives where I do and it would be a burden to move, but my wife and I have finally seriously talked about it.

I think if you feel you are being disrespected, then you have to either: 1) find peace with it because everything else balances out, or 2) move on. If you are unhappy and stay, it will end up reflecting in everything that you do and you wouldn't want that after all of the work you have undertaken to obtain your licensure.

I wish you the best.

JR
You are right JR and Dleg. Is time to move on somewhere else. I have had my chances but always there was an issue with my wife because the states were in the North part of the nation. I stop receiving calls from headhunters, removed my resume from Monster and CareerBuilder in part because that. 75% of the calls were from TN to the North and the East. I have tried in other cities in Florida but without any luck. Going back to P.R. is an option but that would be hard for the kids, especially my oldest and the middle one. I am not going to think the struggles my daughter would have. Sha cannot write in Spanish fluently and her way of speak Spanish is funny.(Have you heard J Lo speaking Spanish?...just like that).

Has been a tough day my friends. Very frustrating and dissapointing. Sorry for the rant/whining. I am sorry for you too Dleg. It is not fair the way they are treating you there.

Cement,

My son applied for colleges at Florida. We are waiting for the answers. I wish the best to your son. I know a kid from Chattanooga who went to Wyoming. He must be in the swimming team there. He was in the same swim team my middle son used to swim for at Chattanooga,TN.

At least I'm not alone in feeling screwed. Mechanical in manufacturing = 0% raise for PE.

Thank you sir, may I have another?

I (Highway/Traffic engineer with 10 years exp) passed my PE and the company policy is a $3000 one time bonus and I also got a 9% raise . So started with 75K increased to 82.5K+3K=85.5K. This is in the NYC Area. What do you guys think, should I demand more?

Paconsult10,

Isn't $85K in NYC the same as Minimum Wage elsewhere? I hear the taxes and rent are out of control up there.

Rleon

Paconsult10,
Isn't $85K in NYC the same as Minimum Wage elsewhere? I hear the taxes and rent are out of control up there.

Rleon

NOW I see why you guys are all moving down here!!!! You can make at LEAST that much in NC and I'm certain our housing costs are less than they are in NY :thumbs:

16 yr experienced Chemical Engineer PE

Consulting Engineering for Petrochemical Industry

Got a $6000 raise and a $4000 cash bonus, plus 1 week trip to Costa Rica expenses paid

Is that good enough?

^^^^Are you saying that there are people out there that don't have one? Weird. No such thing as too many guns, it's one of the world's great equalizers. I think everyone should have at least one, yes I really mean everyone. Punk 18year olds would think twice about walking into the mall and shooting innocent people if they thought a goodly percentage of said innocent people were packing heat and would shoot back. (reference to the recent Salt Lake City mall shooting.)

Back