Home Improvement/Repair Questions - Page 31 - Shoot the Breeze - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
Sign in to follow this  
knight1fox3

Home Improvement/Repair Questions

Around the same time they all turned into absolute pieces of shit.

Maytag still good?  That's what I am leaning on going with - The GE that died was the higher end and it did last 12 years... Current situation with all three kids at home is not good :D

My GE is hot garbage.  Control board basically just does whatever it feels like half the time.

Our GE washer gave out after a little under 3 years; the drive failed on us, and the replacement was as expensive as the washer. Replaced it with a (more expensive) LG. Love it.

Counting down the days until our GE dryer also goes kaput.

59 minutes ago, Road Guy said:

our dishwasher died yesterday - went looking at replacements at lunch - when in the fuck did the average price of a dishwasher get into the $600 range?

57 minutes ago, Supe said:

Around the same time they all turned into absolute pieces of shit.

YOu beat me to this!!!  I was going to say the same thing.  Our new one is horrible!!!   Its a whirlpool, mid level.  nothing super fancy Almost wish we spent the$ on new racks for the old one instead.  Our water is so hard the racks on our old ones rusted out.  A new dishwasher was cheaper than replacement racks.  

Not to get political, but for the past year or so there's been a 20% tariff on imported washing machines, which ups the price about $100 on average.

18 hours ago, snickerd3 said:

YOu beat me to this!!!  I was going to say the same thing.  Our new one is horrible!!!   Its a whirlpool, mid level.  nothing super fancy Almost wish we spent the$ on new racks for the old one instead.  Our water is so hard the racks on our old ones rusted out.  A new dishwasher was cheaper than replacement racks.  

I can't recall how old our current mid-level Maytag is (at least 10+) but the racks are rusting a bit.  Still on the fence about trying to clean/recoat them or just buying a new dishwasher.  We paid the extra money and got a SS interior.  I think it's worth it.

Maytag is still made in USA and the Bosch stuff was a little more, not $100 more but maybe $20 bucks more

the range was pretty tight with 2-3 really cheap POS at the bottom range but most stuff in the $600-$700 range for the "typical models"

I just seem to think the last time I bought a dishwasher the "high end" was $500..

I think the maytag were looking at has the SS inside, is that really worth it considering 10 years is probably all these things ever give you?

Stainless steel is worth the extra price if you plan on being anywhere near the kitchen while it's running.  The plastic tub models are loud as hell.

I don't inspect dishwashers, but I know that they all have their issues.  FWIW, I have a Bosch that I got free from work (just had to replace the water valve).  But Bosch has a bad track record for fire recalls.  They all have one of the following four problems: 

1. Terrible water valves that either leak through the valve or the armature guide fractures.

2.  Leaking door seals.

3.  Leaking shaft seal on drain pump.

4.  Leaking sump seal.

What causes the fires?

7 hours ago, Dleg said:

What causes the fires?

Usually fuel, heat, and oxygen

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Road Guy said:

I think the maytag were looking at has the SS inside, is that really worth it considering 10 years is probably all these things ever give you?

Also if your water has minerals in it the plastic ones get stained and look like carp.  SS you have a shot at cleaning them if you ever want to.  We also got the "quiet" one which basically just adds some fiberglass insulation around the tub.  It does deaden the sound some but I wouldn't necessarily classify it as "quiet".

18 hours ago, Dleg said:

What causes the fires?

In the older ones (2002-2006), there was a fault in the control board in the top right corner of the door that caught fire (I've seen over 500 of those fires).  In newer models (2016?), there is a proprietary power cord attachment in the bottom back right corner of the tub.  I've only seen 5 of those fires.

2 minutes ago, wilheldp_PE said:

In the older ones (2002-2006), there was a fault in the control board in the top right corner of the door that caught fire (I've seen over 500 of those fires).  In newer models (2016?), there is a proprietary power cord attachment in the bottom back right corner of the tub.  I've only seen 5 of those fires.

Jeebus....

1 minute ago, Dleg said:

Jeebus....

I've seen over 2,000 Electrolux dryer fires, and those fuckers never recalled the faulty design.

• fudgey 1

Good God.... what's the recourse for stuff like that?  Is there some regulatory body?  or is it just a matter of how many insurance payouts the company is willing to cover?

Were any fatalities or injuries involved??

13 minutes ago, Dleg said:

Good God.... what's the recourse for stuff like that?  Is there some regulatory body?  or is it just a matter of how many insurance payouts the company is willing to cover?

Were any fatalities or injuries involved??

Consumer Product Safety Commission is supposed to force the manufacturer to issue a recall when a product is unsafe, but for whatever reason, they neglected to do so with the Electrolux dryers.  UL finally updated their standards for dryers to specifically address the issue with the dryers, so Electrolux was forced to change their design in about 2013.  But by that time, they had produced millions of the faulty ones. 

I haven't been involved with any Electrolux dryer fires that caused fatalities, but I'm sure there have been injuries.  By my estimate, I have looked at the 3rd most fires caused by that specific issue.  There was a guy that did a lot of exemplar testing that proved what the actual defect was, and he has looked at over 3,000 of them.  Electrolux told insurance companies that if they hired that particular expert, they would take the claim to trial...no exceptions.  So they essentially forced him out of the market.  There was another expert that was the one that testified at a class-action lawsuit against Electrolux, which they actually settled (of course, without admitting any fault).  I just assume he has seen more of them than I have, but he may not have.

Insurance companies will always cover the losses, up to what your policy covers.  What I deal with is the insurance company suing the manufacturer to recover what they paid on the loss.  It's a specific type of lawsuit called subrogation.  It's the vast majority of the work that I do.

• Like 1

Once again, that's a cool job that you've got, with some pretty impressive impact. 

12 hours ago, wilheldp_PE said:

There was a guy that did a lot of exemplar testing that proved what the actual defect was, and he has looked at over 3,000 of them.  Electrolux told insurance companies that if they hired that particular expert, they would take the claim to trial...no exceptions.  So they essentially forced him out of the market.

Will:  I'm not sure I understand this.  Are you saying that Electrolux has been settling out of court and paying the subrogation claims, but if the plaintiff hires this expert they won't settle and will go to trial?  So what, if the guy has definitive proof of a faulty design then Electrolux should lose at trial, correct?  I guess I don't understand the "threat".

6 minutes ago, MA_PE said:

Will:  I'm not sure I understand this.  Are you saying that Electrolux has been settling out of court and paying the subrogation claims, but if the plaintiff hires this expert they won't settle and will go to trial?  So what, if the guy has definitive proof of a faulty design then Electrolux should lose at trial, correct?  I guess I don't understand the "threat".

Correct.  Taking a case to trial is exorbitantly expensive, so most insurance companies would rather settle.  Using an expert with a lot of knowledge of a particular failure mode is typically a good way to get a settlement.  But Electrolux was so pissed at that particular expert that they told insurance companies they wouldn't settle any claim when he was involved.  Electrolux is using staff engineers as their experts and staff attorneys in court, so it doesn't cost them as much to take something to trail as it does the plaintiff.  

completed the dishwasher install last night - i had the strangest water drain line connection I have ever seen, not sure what they builders Gerry rigged but the actual dishwasher install was a snap, the drain line took 3 trips to lowes- the included hose and the drain hose was so odd I just ended up making my own (it has to travel a long ways) but F'n annoying..

Also in other news, and I think I have griped about this before, it appears Home Depot doesn't actually stock any appliances anymore, everything is delivered - what a PIA - maybe I am in the minority but some of us just like to take it F'n home that day....

Went with the Maytag SS model USA 

Having a new indirect fired water heater installed today under warranty. My current one started leaking after 10 years. Luckily weil-mclain is honoring their lifetime warranty.

Since it rained most of the weekend I made a trial run at some Adirondack chairs- had most of the lumber from another project, since these are pine will defin have to give them a heavy coat of paint - plan to make the next two out of leftover snowboards and skis! maybe $30 bucks in wood and $2000 in billable hours into this ;)  Never have all the shit tools you need..

IMG_1012.JPGIMG_1013.JPG

Shitty pic but the front feet are "rounded" that took me some time ;)

• Like 3