Home Improvement/Repair Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before you run to the tool store to rent a snake, check with your city sewer department. Not sure if it's the norm, but here in Cincinnati, if you're having issues with your sewer you can call the sewer district and they'll come out and check it. Theoretically, they only check from the main to the right-of-way but in reality there's not real way of knowing when you get there so they end up checking up all the way to the house. It's also a one time thing.

How old is the house? If there were problems with back-ups in the past, the city could have put in a back flow preventer on the floor drain. That's a very popular band aid here where there are still a lot of combined sewers.

so with 5 people in the house we have a ton of shoes. I got this idea from the wonderful internet, but it worked really well.. totally cleaned up the mess of shoes in my garage.. total cost was around $100.. It uses the racks that you screw into the wall and the brackets that fit into it that hold the shelves. a little more expensive that the angle brackets but well worth the time saved.. hardest part was finding my bolt cutters to cut the shelving...

garage is still a wreck though, just this corner slowly getting there..

show.jpg

Thats a lot of shoes, of course I'm in FL so I have a pair of work boots and a pair of sandals. I guess thats a trade off for the 108 heat index we had yesterday.

anybody have any success using overhead hangers in their garages? Looking to clean up my garage floor but its mostly large stuff so I'd need something sturdy to mount to. Thinking of some shelving with some bike hooks underneath maybe.

we had them in our old house, they were great, we got the brand from lowes (cant recall the name) but I had two sets of them and they held all our xmas stuff plus some..

depending how high your ceiling is they are kind of a chore to install, using a drill with a socket-bit to drive the lag screws makes the work easier...

Haven't actually had any big storms for me to verify anything. However, up near the PVC junction point, there's an inspection label that is wrinkled and has blotched ink. I'd say that's a pretty good indicator of water coming down from above somehow. Just need to confirm it during an actual storm. Still though, where the main pipe passes through the 1st floor, is some type of foam/silicon sealant. And it looks pretty well sealed. But I suppose the slightest small opening and water could find it's way there.

Last edited by a moderator:
my parents are having a similar issue and they can't find where the water is coming from. due to location, First they thought the dishwasher was leaking but when my pulled it out it was all dry. He ripped out the bottom paneling on the one wall of the bathroom and none of the water fixtures were leaking. Although that water issue was put on hold by all the rain the chicago area got last couple of weeks. The river that flows bwtn the house and the garage was tall enough to get into the house (window casing only ~6 inches off the ground) and there looks to be some seepage in the cinderbrick walls so he had to tear out the paneling on the two exterior walls on that side.

Still though, where the main pipe passes through the 1st floor, is some type of foam/silicon sealant. And it looks pretty well sealed. But I suppose the slightest small opening and water could find it's way there.

It doesn't take much at all; a pinhole in caulk can cause a flood below--I've learned this from experience with my girlfriend's house.

Back