What do Enviro Engineers do in California?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkt1

Reaction score
Since CA does not offer the environmental exam, what do environmental engineers do in CA? Do they all just take the Civil and choose Water Resources discipline? Does that mean they need to take the surveying and seismic exam as well???

That's exactly what they do. It really doesnt make any sense, but we dont have any other choice. My degree is in Chemical Engineering and i have been working as an environmental engineer since 2007. Most of my work has dealt with solid waste (landfill, transfer station, recycling, permitting, etc). I took the water resources and environmental section for the 8 hour civil exam. it had ZERO solid waste questions. It was mostly wastewater treatment and groundwater problems for the afternoon. I also took seismic and surveying (neither of which i did in school or at work). I took review classes for all the tests, studied a TON and passed all 3 first try. The process is ridiculous, but doable.

I was looking at this issue myself. I can't beleive that the 2 states which (to me) have the most outwardly environmental policies don't have the PE in Environmental! California and Hawaii! I use to live in Hawaii and was looking at their board's requirements....looks like I'll have to go take the Chem or Civil there if I want to go back to that state.

Back