Things you do to at work to get/stay healthy?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmbeck

Reaction score
What do you do at your place of business to get your blood flowing?

I'm primarily aiming this at people that sit behind a computer 8+ hours a day. But, I'd love to hear everyone's ideas.

Living in the south, it's difficult to take a walk outside at lunch without coming in soaked. As we don't have onsite shower facilities, this puts a damper on that.

To make up for it, whenever I have to use the bathroom, I make myself walk to the top floor (2nd to 6th). It's not enough to make me sweat, but at least it's a little physical movement other than walking to the printer all day.

What do you do?

Yep, I also walk to a distant bathroom, but not on a different floor. I usually get up once every hr or so and walk a lap of cubes or use the printer on the other side of the floor so I have to walk...I have a printer right next to my cube.

Go to the gym during lunch

Only drink water/coffee

Pack my own food from home

Avoid the endless supply of sweets that are brought in

Only drink water/coffee teaPack my own food from home

Avoid the endless supply of sweets that are brought in
:plusone: Also take the long way to printers, restrooms, etc. Trips to company training and manufacturing facilities also help to increase physical activity.

Drink green tea instead of coffee in the morning.

eat a protein bar for a mid-morning snack

eat a fairly heathly lunch (typically a Subway sandwich or get a Market Fresh sandwich from Arby's). Wash it down with a Vitamin Water.

get out into the field and walk around at least an hour a day (sometimes more)

Drink a ton of water throughout the day.

On days I'm stuck at my desk for several hours at a time, I make sure I get up and do a 5 minute walk around the office every couple of hours or so.

Do p90x when I get home from work in the afternoons (typically before dinner).

Drink a "recovery" drink after the workout (high protein, high vitamin/mineral, high calorie, electrolytes, etc)

I tend to exercise at home after work at least 3 days a week. Af far as work goes, I have been cutting down on cokes, either bringing my lunch or walking to Subway (in the same parking lot) instead of eating out most of the time, and I drink hot tea or green tea.

Our office is small and there's not a bunch of room to walk around but I try to take breaks to walk around every hour or two.

eat a fairly heathly lunch (typically a Subway sandwich or get a Market Fresh sandwich from Arby's). Wash it down with a Vitamin Water.
Both of those are LOADED with sodium. It's not a big deal unless you have high blood pressure. My whole weight loss kick got started because my doctor told me to avoid sodium and caffeine to lower my blood pressure. I was eating Subway a few times a week to lose weight, but I had to stop when the doc told me to cut sodium intake.

My bloodpressure was so low a few years back that my doc actually encouraged me to increase my sodium intake. Obviously I shouldnt go crazy with it, but typically I dont have to worry about it.

My bloodpressure was so low a few years back that my doc actually encouraged me to increase my sodium intake. Obviously I shouldnt go crazy with it, but typically I dont have to worry about it.
The low blood pressure goes away as you age. I used to have blood pressure so low that half the time those BP machines would fault out. If I did read it was usually something like 110/62. Now I have to take bp meds because I'm in the high normal range.

My wife is addicted to salting everything. She gets it from her mom and grandma who actually have to carry around packets of salt "just in case". I have been trying to get her to cut down on the salt intake and I think I have found a solution (at least for home use):

no-salt.jpg

I replaced the salt in the shaker with this stuff and she never noticed. It costs more than salt but is actually good for you.

wow...i rarely add salt to things when cooking. I don't add it later either. The salt really only gets used for baking, but even then I try not to use as much as the recipe calls for.

You have to watch out for the no-sodium salt. Usually, it's KCl. Some people who are on medication for hypertension also have to limit their potassium intake...

My wife is addicted to salting everything. She gets it from her mom and grandma who actually have to carry around packets of salt "just in case". I have been trying to get her to cut down on the salt intake and I think I have found a solution (at least for home use):
I replaced the salt in the shaker with this stuff and she never noticed. It costs more than salt but is actually good for you.
I use this on some things as a salt substitute whenever I can. Since it is in liquid form though, its uses are a bit more limited. Also a great substitute for soy sauce.

I've historically had normal blood pressure, but a couple of weeks ago at the dentist, she took my BP and it was high. Unusually high. I'm not sure if she had the cuff on right, but it got me thinking anyway. I decided to cut back on the coffee (from 5 cups a day to 2), cut out all carbonated beverages (haven't had a Diet Coke in 2 weeks), and ordered a blood pressure meter last night. I need to check and see if it's really high, or if she just put the cuff on wrong.

I do exercise (elliptical machine, 45 minutes, at least 4 days a week), but at work I'm a chair potato in front of a computer.

I did have some really weird heart arrhythmia last week as I was coming down off the caffeine. Every 15 seconds or so my heart was beating incorrectly. It did go away though, it's fine now. I plan to cut the caf completely, but will take some time to do it.

Even if it's hot out, my boss and I will usually try to take a few laps around/within uptown Charlotte after lunch. With all of the skyscrapers and awnings, you can usually keep out of direct sun for the most part.

I work out in the AM before work. 5:30. Boot-camp style. Not enough time in the day with all the important eb.com posting that I do...

I get into the field when I can to walk around the site.

Bathrooms are on another floor, so the stairs are utilized several times a day.

Drink a gallon or more of water a day.

Work out at home, have a bowflex that I try to get a minimum of 30 minutes on every other day.

cut, split and stack firewood to replace the bowflex.

walk around the office a couple times a day to keep the blood flowing

no extra sodium intake; get enough salt in regular foods

working on a better diet...

I'm usually schlepping and manipulating heavy appliances during my job. And I work out every day for at least 30 minutes (almost 3.5 years and counting). I have been substituting a round of golf for my workout more this year than I have in the past, though. I haven't gained any weight, so I guess it's working alright.

no-salt.jpg

I don't do much correctly in regards to diet but I don't salt anything but fresh vegetables. Everything else has so much salt in it already.

Back