California PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrysingh

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I have a MS degree in Mechanical engineering. Can i include my internship experience during my Masters degree on my California PE application. I have around two years experience after my Masters degree but that includes drafting and designing. My bachelors degree is from outside US.

Thanks.

Hello everybody, I have a MS degree in Mechanical engineering. Can i include my internship experience during my Masters degree on my California PE application. I have around two years experience after my Masters degree but that includes drafting and designing. My bachelors degree is from outside US.
Thanks.
No. You can not get credit for work experience during your studies. Board calls it overlapping exp and I think it is stated on footer of page 2 of CA application.

Thanks.
No. You can not get credit for work experience during your studies. Board calls it overlapping exp and I think it is stated on footer of page 2 of CA application.
Nope that's overlapping, just like Baz20 said. However, because you have you are in good shape. California, awards you 4 years of credit for an ABET BS degree, and and additional year for a Master's degree. I ran into this when I was sitting for the ME degree. For your master's the board rules say, that it should be an ABET a acreidited degree. However, there is not a single ABET acredited master's degree in the nation! Go figure. What the board actually looks at is that the university you attended has a bs degree in your major that is ABET accredited, then they award you the 5th year.

Now you are even further in luck. There is a new rule, that if your Master's degree meets the criteria, you automatically get 5 years, regardsless of what your bachelor's degree is in! So hopefully you won't have to mess with getting the foreign degree evaulation, ect. The way I see it just list your degrees, and experience. If you did do full time engineering work between bs and masters, I would include that too. Just make sure you have at least 1 PE reference for each engagement (job) you are claiming credit for.

Back