Failing Scores

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddukes

Reaction score
I got a 122/240 which is 51%, and STILL failed. I am very frustrated considering that most info says that 50% is typical pass/fail score. Can anyone let me know if they got a higher score and FAILED? Thx, Jason

I got a 122/240 which is 51%, and STILL failed. I am very frustrated considering that most info says that 50% is typical pass/fail score. Can anyone let me know if they got a higher score and FAILED? Thx, Jason

Cut score always a mystery for us Engineers, NCEES sets that. My suggestion forget your score focus on coming back, revise your strategy and core subjects, do more problems.

Dont give up.

Good luck on your next attempt.

Not for this specific round of testing but I've heard of scores as high as 61 still count as failing.

I was told that 69% was failing, but I really don't know...It may vary state to state...I passed so they didn't tell me the scores (just pass/fail).

I only had to take it once, thank God, but a friend took it at the same time told me he failed with a 65% ---so it varies.

I was told that 69% was failing, but I really don't know...It may vary state to state...I passed so they didn't tell me the scores (just pass/fail).
70 is the minimum score so 69 would be failing but that isn't a raw percentage. NCEES keeps it a secret how the calculations work that take you from your raw score (right answers / number of questions) to the weighted score (on which 70 is the minimum passing score)

For the benefit of others could you'll share your fail results here of 2011 April Exams. I am still awaiting my results from the board. As NCEES will not provide it directly.

Here's what you provide. 1. M (Morning):xx ; 2. A (Afternoon): xx : 3. Discipline: Elect, Mech, Other, etc.

Percentage would be (M+2A)/240 X 100.

This could predict the failure line for each discipline (will be an estimate at least; better than nothing) for current and future students. Will give some clue on subject to choose for the next exam and how much to prepare too.

Thanks

1. M: 58

2. A: 32

3. Other Discipline

Percentage: 51% - Failed.

For the benefit of others could you'll share your fail results here of 2011 April Exams. I am still awaiting my results from the board. As NCEES will not provide it directly.
Here's what you provide. 1. M (Morning):xx ; 2. A (Afternoon): xx : 3. Discipline: Elect, Mech, Other, etc.

Percentage would be (M+2A)/240 X 100.

This could predict the failure line for each discipline (will be an estimate at least; better than nothing) for current and future students. Will give some clue on subject to choose for the next exam and how much to prepare too.

Thanks

The NCEES prepares a pretty detailed diagnostic report for those who do not pass the exam. It can be used to pinpoint weak areas so you can focus on them the next time around. Sample Diagnostic Report

Unfortunately, worrying about what the minimum passing score is will not help you pass the exam. The best thing you can do in this situation is to browse around these forums to become more familiar with the resources available. I had some friends who took the FE exam with me a few years back and did not pass. They were so concerned with where the cutoff was and how close they were. Maybe it was a pride thing, I don't know. I advised them to not obsess over that so much because exam difficulties change and cutoffs change. Some people fall into a trap where they think that since they were so close to the cutoff, they only need to study "a little bit more" to pass the next go round. This usually doesn't work out.

Best of luck on your next exam. I have found some good discussions on study materials in these forums. Make sure you take a look.

FE Mike,

While I would in other situations agree with you, my situation is probably a little unique. I am married with 3 young kids, only have a MS in Civil Engineering with no BS in Civl (other non-technical degree). I need to get the FE so that I can pursue other job opportunities as well as of course eventually try to take the PE. This was the 2nd time taking the test and I know that not having a BS in Civil may have been the problem, but I feel like I am smart enough to study and pass w/o the degree. However, I have to come to a point where I decide if I really need to get that degree, which takes a lot more time (and money) to get than just studying for the FE. Going badk to get the degree is much more of a committment where I already don't have much free time (work full time as well). So really I do want to know how close I am because if I am VERY close, then I will continue to try to take the FE w/o getting the degree first. But if I am REALLY off then I may have to bite the bullet and go for the degree first. I have heard plenty of people who have passed the FE w/o out an undergrad degree in Engineering so I know its feasible. I appreciate the advice, and in other situations (if I were fresh out of school with an Eng. degree) then I would say to forget how "close" I was and just study and take it again, but I have a little bit of a different situation to deal with.

Thx,

Jason

The NCEES prepares a pretty detailed diagnostic report for those who do not pass the exam. It can be used to pinpoint weak areas so you can focus on them the next time around. Sample Diagnostic Report
Unfortunately, worrying about what the minimum passing score is will not help you pass the exam. The best thing you can do in this situation is to browse around these forums to become more familiar with the resources available. I had some friends who took the FE exam with me a few years back and did not pass. They were so concerned with where the cutoff was and how close they were. Maybe it was a pride thing, I don't know. I advised them to not obsess over that so much because exam difficulties change and cutoffs change. Some people fall into a trap where they think that since they were so close to the cutoff, they only need to study "a little bit more" to pass the next go round. This usually doesn't work out.

Best of luck on your next exam. I have found some good discussions on study materials in these forums. Make sure you take a look.

FE Mike,While I would in other situations agree with you, my situation is probably a little unique. I am married with 3 young kids, only have a MS in Civil Engineering with no BS in Civl (other non-technical degree). I need to get the FE so that I can pursue other job opportunities as well as of course eventually try to take the PE. This was the 2nd time taking the test and I know that not having a BS in Civil may have been the problem, but I feel like I am smart enough to study and pass w/o the degree. However, I have to come to a point where I decide if I really need to get that degree, which takes a lot more time (and money) to get than just studying for the FE. Going badk to get the degree is much more of a committment where I already don't have much free time (work full time as well). So really I do want to know how close I am because if I am VERY close, then I will continue to try to take the FE w/o getting the degree first. But if I am REALLY off then I may have to bite the bullet and go for the degree first. I have heard plenty of people who have passed the FE w/o out an undergrad degree in Engineering so I know its feasible. I appreciate the advice, and in other situations (if I were fresh out of school with an Eng. degree) then I would say to forget how "close" I was and just study and take it again, but I have a little bit of a different situation to deal with.

Thx,

Jason

getting a degree in civil definitely takes time and money but worth it, if you wanted to by pass this, you might assess your capabilities and knowledge on the whole content of FE from AM to Civil PM, if you are sure you can do it by merely studying by yourself then go for it but I doubt, even if you have an MS in Civil Engineering, me too I have an MS in Civil but MS degree courses are outlined in a way it is more focus on where you specialize and totally way off from BS Civil which is broad, and MS is advanced compare to BS and totally different. I also suggest you go to a review class it might work for you. My thinking those people that might pass FE are a few, if youre are smart and lucky enough not a lot of people are in this pool.

Good luck.

FE Mike,While I would in other situations agree with you, my situation is probably a little unique. I am married with 3 young kids, only have a MS in Civil Engineering with no BS in Civl (other non-technical degree). I need to get the FE so that I can pursue other job opportunities as well as of course eventually try to take the PE. This was the 2nd time taking the test and I know that not having a BS in Civil may have been the problem, but I feel like I am smart enough to study and pass w/o the degree. However, I have to come to a point where I decide if I really need to get that degree, which takes a lot more time (and money) to get than just studying for the FE. Going badk to get the degree is much more of a committment where I already don't have much free time (work full time as well). So really I do want to know how close I am because if I am VERY close, then I will continue to try to take the FE w/o getting the degree first. But if I am REALLY off then I may have to bite the bullet and go for the degree first. I have heard plenty of people who have passed the FE w/o out an undergrad degree in Engineering so I know its feasible. I appreciate the advice, and in other situations (if I were fresh out of school with an Eng. degree) then I would say to forget how "close" I was and just study and take it again, but I have a little bit of a different situation to deal with.

Thx,

Jason

getting a degree in civil definitely takes time and money but worth it, if you wanted to by pass this, you might assess your capabilities and knowledge on the whole content of FE from AM to Civil PM, if you are sure you can do it by merely studying by yourself then go for it but I doubt, even if you have an MS in Civil Engineering, me too I have an MS in Civil but MS degree courses are outlined in a way it is more focus on where you specialize and totally way off from BS Civil which is broad, and MS is advanced compare to BS and totally different. I also suggest you go to a review class it might work for you. My thinking those people that might pass FE are a few, if youre are smart and lucky enough not a lot of people are in this pool.

Good luck.

There are quite a few of us in Jason's shoes. I for one did pass the FE and PE Civil with my BS being in Mechanical Engineering. I always was aware of the cut score but no one can pin point it exactly. But one can make statistically calculations to determine the cut score. If one does not know the cut score how would you know if you are capable of passing the exam. Let's say the cutscore fell at 80%, this not being the interpreted scaled score but the actual percentage of answers correct, and one received 40% in the exam with months of studying, then off to school one goes. But if your score was 71% correct, then maybe you do not need to take a full load of classes especially with three kids at home. Just my two cents.

Worrying about the score you need to pass won't help you
Post your diagnostic report.
it seems youre weak in chem, mechanics in general, elect, thermo, fluids and mat prop. You need to understand the theory before you apply these in varied problems, without strong background on theory there is no way you can handle these problems.

My issue was that for most of those topics I had to guess because I ran out of time. If I actually had time to read those problems, I would have fared much better. A lot of my problem at least in the AM portion is that I ran out of time. I definitely admit that I am not as strong in Thermo or Mat Prop as I am in say, Math, Econ, and Statistics, but I can solve most of the problems when I do practice but it just takes a little longer.

it seems youre weak in chem, mechanics in general, elect, thermo, fluids and mat prop. You need to understand the theory before you apply these in varied problems, without strong background on theory there is no way you can handle these problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's called a test for a reason. If everyone had a week to finish the exam then.life would just be peachy.

But reality is you have to know a subject well enough to be able to know where to look in the equations book or at least make an educated guess.

My issue was that for most of those topics I had to guess because I ran out of time. If I actually had time to read those problems, I would have fared much better. A lot of my problem at least in the AM portion is that I ran out of time. I definitely admit that I am not as strong in Thermo or Mat Prop as I am in say, Math, Econ, and Statistics, but I can solve most of the problems when I do practice but it just takes a little longer.

Back