Failing Scores

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My issue was that for most of those topics I had to guess because I ran out of time. If I actually had time to read those problems, I would have fared much better. A lot of my problem at least in the AM portion is that I ran out of time. I definitely admit that I am not as strong in Thermo or Mat Prop as I am in say, Math, Econ, and Statistics, but I can solve most of the problems when I do practice but it just takes a little longer.

Worrying about the score you need to pass won't help you
Post your diagnostic report.
it seems youre weak in chem, mechanics in general, elect, thermo, fluids and mat prop. You need to understand the theory before you apply these in varied problems, without strong background on theory there is no way you can handle these problems.
If you're running out of time, you need to understand the concepts and underlying theories better. You should have time to read and answer every question, and have time to do at least a quick doublecheck of them. I would suggest that you take a review course at the very least, and look seriously at the idea of completing a BS or at least the courses about the issues for the various sections.

How many hours were you putting into studying per week, when you were studying? How many practice exams did you take?

ngnrd said:
OK. Don't be offended. This critique may sound a little rough, but it's how I see the situation.
If you break it down, it's pretty obvious that you didn't do your undergrad in engineering.

GENERAL subjects (math, stats, econ, chem, bio, ethics, computers): you correctly answered 61 of 84 for 73%. Not outstanding, but respectable. And definitely worth a passing grade.

ENGINEERING specific subjects (mechanics, materials, fluids, electrical, thermo): you correctly answered 29 of 96 for 30%. This shows a definite lack of understanding of fundamental engineering principles. Or, in the soft spoken heavily Asian accented words of the best professor I ever had, "Even if you do math all right... you get problem wrong... because, you don't understand concept."

I don't care how good you are at math. This is a timed test. And it is absolutely unforgiving to those that use extra time struggling to understand the problems because don't thoroughly understand the concepts. If you can convince yourself that a self-guided study regimen will give you the ability to look at any problem and understand what it's asking, what given information is extraneous, and what equations are necessary to solve it... all within the first read, and without flinching, then by all means skip the degree, get your nose to the grindstone, and start studying.

But, if you have any doubt, you probably would be better off starting that degree program now. There's a reason it typically takes a minimum of four years of studying their asses off for most people to get a BS in engineering. And it's not because they just enjoy spending all their free time on campus. There's a lot of material covered in those four years; most of it building on concepts learned in previous classes. And remember, all the questions on the FE exam come from somewhere in that material. That's just simply way too much material to "cram" before the exam.

But only you know your abilities and your level of determination. Ultimately, it's a judgement call you'll have to make yourself.
I would have to agree with this in all particulars.

I am not offended at all at the critique. I pretty much knew that deep down. My personal situation is so unique that I was just hoping to be able to work around having to get the degree. I am in my mid-30s with an established family. Working full time is tough with kids to go to school (it took me 4 years to get my Master's doing 1 class a semester). Anyways, you are right, it comes down to a serious decision that I have to make. The frustrating thing is that I know people who didn't have Thermo or Fluids or Electric circuits in their undergrad engineering degree and STILL passed the Other Disciplines test (the one I took). Maybe they just did slightly better in Mechanics than I did and that was what helped them over the hump. So if 73% on the General subjects isn't outstanding in your opinion, what would be? 90%? I agree that 30% in the Engineering subjects is not good, and needs improvement but I wonder if I take 1 or 2 classes in those subjects (Mechanics, Fluids, or circuits for example) would that probably be enough to get over the hump. I can always go back to school once my kids are old and out of school to get the degree, but I need to pass the FE/PE in the near term and can't really get a 4-year degree at this point.

Thanks for the constructive criticism, it was very much appreciated.

ngnrd said:
OK. Don't be offended. This critique may sound a little rough, but it's how I see the situation.
If you break it down, it's pretty obvious that you didn't do your undergrad in engineering.

GENERAL subjects (math, stats, econ, chem, bio, ethics, computers): you correctly answered 61 of 84 for 73%. Not outstanding, but respectable. And definitely worth a passing grade.

ENGINEERING specific subjects (mechanics, materials, fluids, electrical, thermo): you correctly answered 29 of 96 for 30%. This shows a definite lack of understanding of fundamental engineering principles. Or, in the soft spoken heavily Asian accented words of the best professor I ever had, "Even if you do math all right... you get problem wrong... because, you don't understand concept."

I don't care how good you are at math. This is a timed test. And it is absolutely unforgiving to those that use extra time struggling to understand the problems because don't thoroughly understand the concepts. If you can convince yourself that a self-guided study regimen will give you the ability to look at any problem and understand what it's asking, what given information is extraneous, and what equations are necessary to solve it... all within the first read, and without flinching, then by all means skip the degree, get your nose to the grindstone, and start studying.

But, if you have any doubt, you probably would be better off starting that degree program now. There's a reason it typically takes a minimum of four years of studying their asses off for most people to get a BS in engineering. And it's not because they just enjoy spending all their free time on campus. There's a lot of material covered in those four years; most of it building on concepts learned in previous classes. And remember, all the questions on the FE exam come from somewhere in that material. That's just simply way too much material to "cram" before the exam.

But only you know your abilities and your level of determination. Ultimately, it's a judgement call you'll have to make yourself.
I would have to agree with this in all particulars.

I am not offended at all at the critique. I pretty much knew that deep down. My personal situation is so unique that I was just hoping to be able to work around having to get the degree. I am in my mid-30s with an established family. Working full time is tough with kids to go to school (it took me 4 years to get my Master's doing 1 class a semester). Anyways, you are right, it comes down to a serious decision that I have to make. The frustrating thing is that I know people who didn't have Thermo or Fluids or Electric circuits in their undergrad engineering degree and STILL passed the Other Disciplines test (the one I took). Maybe they just did slightly better in Mechanics than I did and that was what helped them over the hump. So if 73% on the General subjects isn't outstanding in your opinion, what would be? 90%? I agree that 30% in the Engineering subjects is not good, and needs improvement but I wonder if I take 1 or 2 classes in those subjects (Mechanics, Fluids, or circuits for example) would that probably be enough to get over the hump. I can always go back to school once my kids are old and out of school to get the degree, but I need to pass the FE/PE in the near term and can't really get a 4-year degree at this point.

Thanks for the constructive criticism, it was very much appreciated.
I came to a conclusion a long time ago: No situation is totally unique. There are people in situations close to yours. A few years ago, I was in a similar position - except without any education whatsoever (100% experience based), and substituting major debt and medical issues for the family stresses.

Taking a few subject-specific classes sounds like an excellent idea.

If you can't afford to spend the money, you might also consider seeing if professors are OK with you auditing courses, or even talking to them one a face to face basis and requesting permission to just sit in rather than register. If you can afford the money but not so much the time, I would strongly suggest that if you haven't already you pick up some of the books from these courses - a year or two out of date is probably fine and will be cheaper - and study them/do the questions in them until you know and understand everything.

And most of all - if you are struggling with something - ask someone you know about it!

The statics questions on the exam were pretty basic from what I remember I would start there. Like suggested grab a book or audit a course.

Best of luck to you Jason. So many people have chimed in and they have given a lot of good guidance. Just focus on how good "Jason, P.E." looks/sounds and don't ever give up.

As a start, do you think a standard College Physics class would get me started in re-studying for the April 2012 exam?

Best of luck to you Jason. So many people have chimed in and they have given a lot of good guidance. Just focus on how good "Jason, P.E." looks/sounds and don't ever give up.

As a start, do you think a standard College Physics class would get me started in re-studying for the April 2012 exam?

I was out of school 2 years before I attempted the FE. Big mistakes aside, I took the FE 5 times with scores always in the 60's, in fact I got three 66's in a row of taking the F.E. exam. This time I took TESTMASTERS and passed. They are very professional and teach you how to pass the test....they do not try to re-teach every class you have ever had, although they do go through all the basics. They know what the F.E. test is all about and how to be successful. I was studying with three other guys and we all passed this time....not a coincidence! Keep trying and don't give up and take TESTMASTERS if at all possible!

When did they start giving actual numeric results for the FE exam? All I got when I took this exam 30 years ago was a wallet card three months afterward that said I had passed the Fundamentals of Engineering exam, no other info. I was just glad I would not have to take it a second time. Eight hours in an exam room was a brutal experience, not to be repeated.

On the October 2010 fe exam, I scored a 126/240 52.5% and still failed.

QUOTE (maddukes @ May 17 2011, 08:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got a 122/240 which is 51%, and STILL failed. I am very frustrated considering that most info says that 50% is typical pass/fail score. Can anyone let me know if they got a higher score and FAILED? Thx, Jason
Cut score always a mystery for us Engineers, NCEES sets that. My suggestion forget your score focus on coming back, revise your strategy and core subjects, do more problems.

Dont give up.

Good luck on your next attempt.

Sounds like with a full time job and an established family, you hardly have the time to study. The best thing is to probably take a review course with a reputable company so you are forced to study the material and get out of the house. At least you would be allocating some time for studying. I found the review course that I took to be quite helpful, especially reviewing weak subjects. It will keep you motivated especially being among professionals like yourself who are trying to pass the EIT.

I have chronicled my path to passing the EIT in my blog so that other people may benefit from my experiences:
>http://eitexamprep.tumblr.com

Back