CA SURVEYING DISCUSSION ~ APIRIL 2011 EXAM

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate Pomona exam center sitting chairs. How are the sitting chairs in Del Mar center?

I have Chlapati 1994 edition. This has long questions and looks irrelevant to CA surveying exam. How different is 1994 edition than the current edition?

Has anyone taken the test with the free CalTrans video lectures? I'm looking through them, but they seem to be a bit outdated. On the other hand, math hasn't changed since the '90s.

I went through most of the caltrans stuff and the workbooks are pretty worthless but there are some gems in the video, the videos are pretty bad alot of reading from paper and in some of the videos I could not jump ahead. the download dont seem to work well either. If you can get the video to work resonably well on your computer I think they are worth a look.

I have 3 books that are on the reference list.

Surveying Theory and Practice by Edward M. Mikhail, ...I have the 6th edition they recommend the 7th edition so this review may not be fair, but unless they have made unreal changes in one edition this book more of a history book. The methods and text are really from the 1960s and only mention the development of flat bed plotters. It has a couple of section that go into great detail about maps but once again alot of it is history, but some good stuff.

Surveying With Construction Applications, by Kavanagh This looks like a good book going into depth on surveying applied specifically to construction. I have not gone through it alot but seems to be worthwhile since construction applications make up most of the civil engineering practive and there is not a lot of info specifically on this topic.

Surveying, 10th Edition, 1997,F. H. Moffitt and J. Bossler This books is very good and provides alot of depth that is not covered else where, extending lines, locating points, leveling , traverses and alot on equipment, I do recommend this book.

BTW Cowboy I went through three chairs, they were getting upset but they were all broken and sagged to one side, the last was ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back