Engineer Boards
​ ​
Dleg

Movie thread

Anyone here a fan of the Martial Arts Thriller genre?  Riki-Oh the story of Ricki is a great one.  What other film can you see a guy cut his own stomach open so he can use his intestines to try to strangle his opponent?  Full film on Youtube. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvTx8606BOw

photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif

suffered through Game Night (-7 stars)

It was one of those movies you want to turn off, but at the same time just want to see how much worse it can get..

mr snick took minisnick to the drive in saturday to watch han solo.  He said it wasn't horrible but wasn't OMG I need to buy it ASAP either.  It's one of those Oh that's why back story sort of movies.  

Incredibles 2 was good.  Don't go in expecting overly much and I think you'll enjoy it a lot more.  There's plenty of hype right before the movie starts. 😕

We saw that this weekend, and it was very enjoyable.

Odd thing - the theater was jam-packed with 18 to 25 year olds, mostly male, active duty soldiers from the nearby Army base. Then I did the math and figured it out - Incredibles 1 came out in 2006, when these guys were to  6 to 13 years old. The Incredibles was probably one of their defining movies. So for them, this was like going to see Star Wars Episode 1 for my generation, after years of waiting for the next installment. (Incredibles 2 is a LOT better than Star Wars Episode I, BTW)

• Like 2

Was the first incredibles even that good? I mean it wasn't toy story...

12 hours ago, Road Guy said:

Was the first incredibles even that good? I mean it wasn't toy story...

Yes, it was.

Found an old John Cusack movie I hadn't seen before - Hot Pursuit - and it has a young Ben Stiller playing a slimey deck hand-- terrible movie btw

IMG_1745.JPG

• Haha 1

It also has George Castanzas Dad (sp)?

^^^ Jerry Stiller.

Some people think he's funny. He is not. Just like his son (both in real life and on Seinfeld).

I never knew those 2 were related? 

I liked something about Mary but not much other bennstiller stuff 

10 hours ago, Road Guy said:

It also has Ben Stiller's Dad?

I used to like Ben Stiller, but I feel like he's gone the Adam Sandler route, where it's the same damn movie over and over. 

Only Ben Stiller doesn't have a Spanglish in his repertoire that saves him. 

I finally saw Thor Ragnarok. Am I still within the statute of limitations to talk about this one? 

its on Netflix so I am assuming its terrible?

• Like 1

It was enjoyable. Much more Guardians of the Galaxy than other like other Marvel movies. 

We were trying to watch the list of movies to see before Infinity War and we made it through Thor Ragnarok, Black Panther, GotG 2, and we were trying to watch Captain America Civil War, but we all fell asleep. Now we've instead found an 18 minute YouTube video that fills in everything we need to know. 

There's a point where Thor gets his haircut and my kid points out that the deacon at our church looks like Thor. 

SO that's why @csb goes to church.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Watched a few over the last week or two....

”Pacific Rim 2” - Entertaining enough. Basically more of the same. If you liked the first one, you’ll probably like this one.

”Super Troopers 2” - Mehhh. It was really dumb, but the wife wanted to watch it cause she liked the first one. She stopped paying attention and went to her phone about 1/2 way through the movie if that tells you anything. Best part was the body cam footage at the end. 

“Ready Player One” - Good sci-fi flick. Little depressing to watch sometimes...can see society going in that direction.

And most recently....

”Rampage” - Further proof that movies based on classic games/video games are a bad idea.

We saw Ant Man and The Wasp this weekend. It was pretty entertaining. You will have needed to see Avengers Infinity War to understand the ending, which was weird because my wife saw that with me but then totally didn't understand the ending.....

• Like 1

I was actually surprised I liked the first ant man- so may check this one out for lunch one day..

It's about as good as the first one, so you will probably like it?

Finally saw Black Panther.  Am I the only person not impressed by this movie?  I'd say it ranked mid-pack for Marvel stuff, and that's not exactly a high bar.  It had its moments, but man, it sure seemed like there were a lot of boring lulls.  

On the flip side, we all really liked A Quiet Place.  Not at all what I was expecting.  

17 minutes ago, Supe said:

Finally saw Black Panther.  Am I the only person not impressed by this movie?  I'd say it ranked mid-pack for Marvel stuff, and that's not exactly a high bar.  It had its moments, but man, it sure seemed like there were a lot of boring lulls.  

On the flip side, we all really liked A Quiet Place.  Not at all what I was expecting.  

I think I said the same thing after I saw it...good movie, but I couldn't understand why everyone was raving about it being the best Marvel movie.

Was one of the new movies out on HBO so I actually watched "IT" yesterday.  For some reason it wasn't as scary as I figured it would be.  I remembered enough stuff from the book that I know it didn't completely follow King's story, but it's been long enough that I wasn't sitting there nit-picking all the stuff that was left out/different.  Good enough that I'll definitely watch Chapter 2 after it comes out.

I watched The Death of Stalin on the plane home yesterday. it was really, really well done! I highly recommend it, if you like dry humor especially.

This is the one that surprised me....