Worse Score This Time by 10%

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same for you...are you going to try it again in April '18 then?
Thanks :) I'm getting married early April 2018, so I'm going to table it until next October.  I really just want to try it again ASAP but for my sanity (and my fiancé's), I know it's best to take a break :ppppp

Thanks :) I'm getting married early April 2018, so I'm going to table it until next October.  I really just want to try it again ASAP but for my sanity (and my fiancé's), I know it's best to take a break :ppppp
Congratulations !... and yes I would do the same in your situation...

Make sure your fiance is on board at the beginning.  Maybe you can include him for him to quiz you. I've been married 5 years, have 2 kids and this test really tested my marriage.  Knowing you want to spend more time studying but having spouse and kids feeling neglected is a hard balance. 

Make sure your fiance is on board at the beginning.  Maybe you can include him for him to quiz you. I've been married 5 years, have 2 kids and this test really tested my marriage.  Knowing you want to spend more time studying but having spouse and kids feeling neglected is a hard balance. 
Thanks. I can't imagine having to study for this test with kids, lots of respect.  He's been really supportive of me through both test cycles.  He's got a PhD in chemistry so he's helped me a lot with those pesky combustion problems.

I did ask for manual verification, but according to NCEES, they told me that they have never had a failing score go to a passing score and they do not check the test booklet vs the scantron.
I don’t think they will open booklet to check the answer for you since the formal answer is from that answer sheet! Booklet,,, I may even think they will shred it after the exam since all questions are confidential! Next time once you finish one question, you can transfer it to answer sheet immdiately! Make sure they are in line! I checked mine like more than three times just to avoid **** happens

I also did worse this time. First time test taker in April 2017 and failed with 44/80. October 2017 failed with 43/80. I took EET depth WRE before the October test and did well on all the practice exams, kept up with practice problems, watched all the problem session lectures, etc. And my score in the afternoon only went up 3 points from the first time. Feeling pretty discouraged at this point. 

EET depth was very good. I passed the second time (civil-transportation) here and EET depth helped me a lot. Don't give up. Just hang in there. Good luck buddy. I understand your frustration.

I don’t think they will open booklet to check the answer for you since the formal answer is from that answer sheet! Booklet,,, I may even think they will shred it after the exam since all questions are confidential! Next time once you finish one question, you can transfer it to answer sheet immdiately! Make sure they are in line! I checked mine like more than three times just to avoid **** happens
I don't remember if it was in candidate guide or in actual test instructions, but I'm pretty sure they have it in writing somewhere that you are only graded based on your answer sheet. Even if you had everything correct in test booklet, if you didn't transfer anything to scantrons you wouldn't get credit for any answers.

I also did worse this time. First time test taker in April 2017 and failed with 44/80. October 2017 failed with 43/80. I took EET depth WRE before the October test and did well on all the practice exams, kept up with practice problems, watched all the problem session lectures, etc. And my score in the afternoon only went up 3 points from the first time. Feeling pretty discouraged at this point. 
Dude I am right there with you. First time in April was 44/80, this time was 42/80. Afternoon was worse than I thought. I did not do EET yet but was thinking about it. I just hate thinking about sitting through this 8 hour exam again...

Keep your had up. Take a break for the Holidays and then jump back in full speed in January. When you start up again do a planning session and come up with a game plan on how to tackle the test. Think about any issues you had during the exam and make sure they go on your to do list. For example, if you found yourself searching endlessly for information, try to improve your tabbing or make a cross reference index so you know where to look in each of your books to find the information. Also set up an equation sheet with a summary of equations for each topic. Why waste time looking through reference material just to find a formula when you can flip through a few pages of notes only. 

I've been married 5 years, have 2 kids and this test really tested my marriage.  Knowing you want to spend more time studying but having spouse and kids feeling neglected is a hard balance. 
THIS.

2 kids and 12 years under my belt. Very tough 8 months for us. I can't really absorb info unless I have a good 3-4 hrs of uninterrupted quiet time - that's a unicorn in a house with 2 young children. The balance was a real struggle. My sleep ended up being neglected the most.

Well, I'm in the same boat as you.  Failed second time with a worse score than my first time.  I felt way more confident this time than last time. I wonder if I missed a bubble on my answer sheet or something?

Civil WRE second time test taker here 44/80 Oct 2017 up from 40/80 in April 2017.  I did much better in the AM portion (7pts more from only 18 to 25), but depth portion i did worse (3pts less from 22 to 19).  Watching youtube videos for structural and geotech questions really helped me understand those breadth topics.  I really thought I did much better in the afternoon portion, but maybe i over thought and changed my right answers to wrong ones?  The depth questions were really tricky and long winded.  I had to reread the questions so many times so that I didn't work the problems the incorrectly.  It would be nice if the exam was taken in two separate days instead of cramming all into 8 hours.  I was continuously on the calculator crunching numbers for almost 4 hours straight for the PM depth portion.  It was a grind and disappointing to know i did worse in that section.  So much studying and not much to show for it.  I only self studied and considering I'm not even an engineer major maybe I'll take an EET course and try to get this test over with.  I've had ample time to study for the exam, and still would like enjoy my time with my wife and kids.  I will continue to strive and find a way to make my study time more efficient.  I really hate spending money on courses, because i felt like i knew the WRE depth material very well.    Congratulations to everyone who passed and Good luck to us all who will take the exam again.

Sorry to hear things went worse this time, my friend. But I'll echo what others have said: Don't give up. I finally passed this time, my 3rd attempt. I work for the federal government and found out that my former deputy area director had to take it 3 times. Another colleague I know who works in DC and works with a Rear Admiral had to take it 3 times, too. My friend in California who was awarded the Young Engineer of the Year award this year with the Public Health Service has failed 3 times. Just don't give up.

Like Dory says, "Just keep swimming."

Hmm on second thought I clicked the link for EET water resources depth.  $550 plus 5% discount for early bird discount seems reasonable.  So is it much better than the School of PE material?  Thanks

I'm sorry to hear this...I found out I failed for the third time earlier today....not sure I want to try this a fourth time at this point...
Man sorry to hear it. Fail number 2 for me yesterday. This thing is a brutal SOB. What does your state say about the number of times you can take it?

Hmm on second thought I clicked the link for EET water resources depth.  $550 plus 5% discount for early bird discount seems reasonable.  So is it much better than the School of PE material?  Thanks
I did SOPE for the April 2017 exam, then EET WRE Depth for the Oct 2017 Exam.  EET's WRE depth course is far superior.  Hands down.  The EET binder is also in order of the test specifications - making it quicker and easier to find the info you're looking for.  The EET binder includes equation sheets at the beginning of each section, too.  So, you don't have to dig through piles of pages to find the equation you're looking for.  SOPE's course materials weren't as organized and some of the equations were scattered in the notes.  SOPE also references the CERM a lot and tells you to go there for further study (instead of just reviewing the material).  I found that pretty annoying.  Anyway, I highly recommend EET's WRE Depth review!!

I did SOPE for the April 2017 exam, then EET WRE Depth for the Oct 2017 Exam.  EET's WRE depth course is far superior.  Hands down.  The EET binder is also in order of the test specifications - making it quicker and easier to find the info you're looking for.  The EET binder includes equation sheets at the beginning of each section, too.  So, you don't have to dig through piles of pages to find the equation you're looking for.  SOPE's course materials weren't as organized and some of the equations were scattered in the notes.  SOPE also references the CERM a lot and tells you to go there for further study (instead of just reviewing the material).  I found that pretty annoying.  Anyway, I highly recommend EET's WRE Depth review!!
Thanks that's a very in-depth review for EET WRE and sounds helpful I think I'll sign up.  Do they have referral discount :rolleyes: ?

It seems like I'm just missing something that is keeping me from doing well on the exam.  The exams are so different each time, even the way the questions are worded are different.  I'm still having headaches when I think about those depth questions.  The April 2017 PM portion was much better worded and easier to understand.

I just signed up for the EET Breadth and WR Depth webinar courses.  Here's hoping that the third time in April 2018 is the charm.  Getting married the weekend of the October 2018 test, so that option is out.

Back