World Cup Efficiency

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twindadtodd

Reaction score
Rate your efficiency at work in the midst of the World Cup. In between waiting for PE results and 3 games a day I'm useless...

I've had the ESPN gamecast open and I've been listening to one match on ESPN Radio online whenever there is one on. It hasn't really hurt my productivity, but I'm definitely following it real-time.

I was pissed because I had training this morning during the USA match. Another guy and I went crazy when the US scored in stoppage time because we were both following the game on our phones.

World cup?

Oh that soccer thing. Hasnt affected me much.

Cant call it a sport if it can end in a tie.

nothing like logging 90+ minutes for a nil - nil tie! Between that, the vuvuzelas, and the blatant, flagrant diving / flopping for penalties, how the adjective "beautiful" ever got taglined with this game is mindbottling.

Seriously, vuvuzelas aside, take away the pansy-ass diving these guys do & maybe eliminate the offsides penalties to open up actual scoring, and the game could be watchable.

I wish I knew how to remove all the world cup related garbage on the Google news page. When will this thing be over?

World cup?
Oh that soccer thing. Hasnt affected me much.

Cant call it a sport if it can end in a tie.
That NFL tie game back in 2008...those guys must have been pissed when they realized they weren't actually playing a sport all these years. i forget the teams though...

Does soccer have a diving penalty like in hockey?
Yeah. Yellow cards can be issued for taking a dive. The problem is there is only one referee on the pitch at any given time, and for him to see exactly what happened with every single foul is impossible. Sometimes the referees assistants on the sidelines (normally responsible only for offsides or out of bounds calls) will consult with the head referee on a call, but the head referee has the final say in all calls. I think they would do well to add one or two more on-field referees. It might get rid of some of the atrocious calls that are a detriment to the game (like the two disallowed goals for the US in the Slovenia and Algeria games where there were no fouls on replay at all).

Plus, once we are in the knock-out rounds, there will be no more ties. There will be another period of golden goal (sudden death) overtime, then penalty kicks until a winner is decided. That's when it gets really exciting. The group play rounds is just a round-robin tournament to decide who will move into the real tournament.

yeah its pretty bad when the announcers (of european persuasion) call some of the 'contacts' shameful performances, detracting from the game. Some of the atheletes respond by saying they're not trying to be role models - Fine, but could they make the sport any gayer (probably not a word) with this sh!t?! And the world wonders why americans in general don't embrace this "beautiful game". Probably cuz its gayer than a tree full of hummingbirds the way its played on the world stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does soccer have a diving penalty like in hockey?
Yeah. Yellow cards can be issued for taking a dive. The problem is there is only one referee on the pitch at any given time, and for him to see exactly what happened with every single foul is impossible. Sometimes the referees assistants on the sidelines (normally responsible only for offsides or out of bounds calls) will consult with the head referee on a call, but the head referee has the final say in all calls. I think they would do well to add one or two more on-field referees. It might get rid of some of the atrocious calls that are a detriment to the game (like the two disallowed goals for the US in the Slovenia and Algeria games where there were no fouls on replay at all).

Plus, once we are in the knock-out rounds, there will be no more ties. There will be another period of golden goal (sudden death) overtime, then penalty kicks until a winner is decided. That's when it gets really exciting. The group play rounds is just a round-robin tournament to decide who will move into the real tournament.
People your National Team won its group for the first time since 1930! Be proud of this squad they overcame two terrible calls and are well on the way to making history.

Why did you quote me on that post? I do support the USMNT, and have been following the games as much as possible. I didn't make it to any qualifiers for this WC, but I went to 3 when we qualified for the 2002 WC.

I was not previously aware that a tree full of hummingbirds was gay.

(note to self - cut down tree full of hummingbirds in front yard)

I think that hummingbirds are pretty cool, and we plant flowers to attract them. does that make me gay?

I think that hummingbirds are pretty cool, and we plant flowers to attract them. does that make me gay?

Flowers are WAY gayer than trees, so that makes you a giant flamer. Didn't you know that?

As far as the soccer, go USA , but I'll get my fill watching the 15 seconds of highlights on ESPN. Any more than that, and it's like pulling teeth.

Rate your efficiency at work in the midst of the World Cup. In between waiting for PE results and 3 games a day I'm useless...
So many people at my office were live streaming the USA/Algeria game and slowing down the whole network that we got an email from our IT department asking everyone to stop. :p

It's not hurting my work TOO much. I would only stream the USA games and an occasional other game. I have it on in the background on one monitor, I don't watch it continuously - just sort of multi-tasking. I'd also check in on other scores somewhat frequently, but not watch them (like yesterday, to find out if we'd play Ghana or Germany next. BTW - Our path looks MUCH easier than England's. Whew!).

Regardless, it looks like I won't be allowed to do much of that anymore! Good thing the next game is on a Saturday.

I have decided to stop being such a woman and have discovered that soccer, a.k.a. real football, is the greatest sport in the world. It is so much more exciting than anything we play here in America.

All gayness, hummingbirds, feminine hygeine products, and flowers aside;

I hate the vuvuzelas, it's annoying as hell hearing that in the background.

The highlights are okay to watch but other than that, I can't watch much more than 15 minutes of soccer.

That being said, you have to respect the endurance of the players, being able to run like that for as long as they do.

Some of the players' acting jobs to try and draw penalties are really gay.

Offsides in soccer is simply a penalty for outrunning your opponent, that is really gay.

Back