Women's Room - come talk

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the good things, I think, to come out of the womens' movement has been this broadening of minds to encourage men to show their feelings, consider nursing or other traditional female roles, etc.
WHOA, WHOA, WHOA, let's not take it too far and get out of control here.

You're a fine one to talk about things not being out of control. Just look at the driving there in your avatar. Tsk, tsk.

:poking:

:D

It's kind of like this idea that the choice to be a 'stay at home mom' is just as valid as the choice to pursue a career.
Yep. Although we're great at our engineering jobs, they can always be filled by someone else. But when it comes to raising kiddoes, there's only one mom and one dad. Nobody can take their place, and I think mom or dad staying at home and raising kids is the most honorable, most important and most difficult job in existence.

Someday I hope to have that job. Or my husband to have it....as long as one of us gets the honor, I'd be thrilled :D

...One of the good things, I think, to come out of the womens' movement has been this broadening of minds to encourage men to show their feelings, consider nursing or other traditional female roles, etc.

Are you saying that you would marry or want your son(s) to be emo?

Neither my husband or I is cut out to be a (stereotypical) full-time parent. If either of us were in that role, we'd start a business, volunteer out the wahzoo, start up major home renovations or who knows....

I know I'm a far better parent because of all I learned from the people who helped care for my kids...plus they got exposed to things I couldn't give them like Spanish language, same age peers, and latin dance. They're both social and comfortable with a wide range of situations and people because it's normal to them. We're all drawn to spend time together and enjoy each other's company, but I think one reason why is because we bring so much experience from outside our family back into it.

On the other hand, one of my brothers and sis-in-law have gone to great lengths to choose careers and stagger work hours to allow one of them to always be home with the kids because that was very important to them. And they have great kids too....

It's a combination of parent personalities, kid personalities, economics and realistic options....and we all make different choices.

I don't think I'd be attracted to a dude who was hugely "emo" - but that's just personal preference. A male friend could certainly be "emo", and that'd be fine.

I don't think I'd care if my son were "emo". Why would I? :)

I'd want the entire package - available as needed....for the situation.

My mother used to say, "....you better marry a man who likes to cook and clean or have enough money to hire someone to do it for you..."

Although it wasn't make or break, my husband is very willing to share in those responsibilities.

I'd call it a toss-up who is the better cook -- he cooks more than I do right now because I commute and he doesn't.

He does our laundry because he's way more picky than I am. (My way - dark or light in warm or cold. His way - 6 categories each with special requirements)

I do most of the social plans, buying gifts, keeping in touch with friends etc - because he hates that....but likes socializing if I arrange it all.

He's read to kids most nights for 12-13 years now. It's not my thing, so I bond with kids other ways.

We trade off financial stuff and bills.

We both drive when we're together in one car.

Is he emo? I can guarantee he'd never ever describe himself that way -- that should be answer enough! I think the latest book he's reading is on war.

I don't think I'd be attracted to a dude who was hugely "emo" - but that's just personal preference. A male friend could certainly be "emo", and that'd be fine.
I don't think I'd care if my son were "emo". Why would I? :)
I would like to think that I wouldn't either, but I don't know. We'll see if I have a son, and if he is emo. I'm pretty accepting of anyone, and how they chose to lead their life.

I'd want the entire package - available as needed....for the situation.
My mother used to say, "....you better marry a man who likes to cook and clean or have enough money to hire someone to do it for you..."

Although it wasn't make or break, my husband is very willing to share in those responsibilities.

I'd call it a toss-up who is the better cook -- he cooks more than I do right now because I commute and he doesn't.

He does our laundry because he's way more picky than I am. (My way - dark or light in warm or cold. His way - 6 categories each with special requirements)

I do most of the social plans, buying gifts, keeping in touch with friends etc - because he hates that....but likes socializing if I arrange it all.

He's read to kids most nights for 12-13 years now. It's not my thing, so I bond with kids other ways.

We trade off financial stuff and bills.

We both drive when we're together in one car.

Is he emo? I can guarantee he'd never ever describe himself that way -- that should be answer enough! I think the latest book he's reading is on war.
I would say that your husband is NOT emo.

I would like to think that I wouldn't either, but I don't know. We'll see if I have a son, and if he is emo. I'm pretty accepting of anyone, and how they chose to lead their life.
Between hubby and I, we have four kids. They each have some qualities which I don't like, and have done a great many things which I don't like. What I've found is, as a mom, I love them all no matter what. I think you will find that to be true as well.

emo.jpeg

But when it comes to raising kiddoes, there's only one mom and one dad. Nobody can take their place, and I think mom or dad staying at home and raising kids is the most honorable, most important and most difficult job in existence.
I agree. I've got a friend who stays at home with her five kids. She has received more crap than encouragement from other women for staying home with them. I support her every chance I get because I know she's got the world's hardest job. I'm not mom material, but I'm a stepmom, have a grandson and a grandbun.....and I wouldn't trade that for the world.

My wife is a stay at home mom, and there are days when I wish I could change places with her... but they are VERY infrequent. It's not as easy as it looks from the outside.

It's a very tough job, and also one of the most meaningful things a parent can do. I wish I could have stayed home with my kids, but I ended up a single mom when they were very small. It happened to coincide with my graduating so I just went on and started my career. I would have liked to have stayed home at least until they started kindergarten.

I worked with a guy who was really into sewing. He made his own clothes, and even took his sewing machine on TDY with him and would work in the hotel room. He was a really big guy, so no one teased him about it.

My wife's last day of work is today. She is planning on staying home with the kids until they are school age if possible. We are thankful that we are in the position financially to be able to do this and we feel like it is the best thing for us to do.

I worked with a guy who was really into sewing. He made his own clothes, and even took his sewing machine on TDY with him and would work in the hotel room. He was a really big guy, so no one teased him about it.
I know quite a few guys in the Army Nat'l Guard who have learned to sew. I guess they sew their tents and stuff.

Also knew a retired Army Colonel who took up needlepoint in his old age. He made a bunch of covers for the kneeling cushions at the altar rail for our church back home.

ble that is great. :)

My wife's last day of work is today. She is planning on staying home with the kids until they are school age if possible. We are thankful that we are in the position financially to be able to do this and we feel like it is the best thing for us to do.
Some days i would love to do that, other days not so mcuh. We could do it financially, but I have the better health insurance. Our current plan is me home for 3-6 months, depending on baby, daycare options, and my sanity. Then work part time for the remainder of the 12 month FMLA period the state offers. The state stops paying their portion of the health insurance at 6 months, hence the need to work part time.

I know quite a few guys in the Army Nat'l Guard who have learned to sew. I guess they sew their tents and stuff.
Also knew a retired Army Colonel who took up needlepoint in his old age. He made a bunch of covers for the kneeling cushions at the altar rail for our church back home.

ble that is great. :)
I have heard from several former military men, sewing/crossstitching type stuff is often prescribed as a stress/anger management tool.

I know it works, cuz I pull that stuf out when I'm stressed and it works wonders.

Back