With 10 days to go, what are you focusing on?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My study goal was 200 hours, I'm sitting at 198 after yesterday (yes I did track my study hours, wanna fight about it?).

Final 2-3 days are to go back and review all the major topics/equations/tables/charts for thermo, fluids, heat transfer, and HVAC.

Hopefully I won't burn out by Friday....

Just finished the NCEES practice exam, timed for morning, lunch, afternoon, etc. That was the culmination of my studies.

Felt really good about it, then I tallied the results - 57/80. Not as good as I had hoped. Some of the problems I thought I had were tricky... Still confident I'll pass this.

VTEnviro, how is that cocky and unfocused? I've been studying for the past 4 months, have 200-300 hours into this, and am feeling pretty good about the test. And going into the exam with the right state of mind is important.

This seems about the right time to start posting in this thread. At this point I'm re-working the Lindeburg 500 Problems during the week and working SMS and NCEES during the weekend. Hoping for the material to penetrate my thick skull in time.

I'm finishing up NCEES thermo fluids, 2008. Then taking a mock exam using the NCEES 2001 this weekend. No more problems after this weekend, only review of trouble areas.

I've went through the SMS and the NCEES test several times and feel confident on 90-95% of those problems. Now I'm on to going through the MERM practice problems.

Good luck. MERM practice problems are (in my opinion) a lot harder, but they are good practice. I tried to do every problem from the relevant test sections (especially when I got to my afternoon discipline). It was worth it. There were at least 2-3 problems that were very similar to exam problems. I was able to use the solutions manual to walk through the problem without much of a thought.

I started last night with the overview chapters in the MERM. I blasted through that since it is pretty much mathematics. I'm planning on going through the actual practice problems in the MERM book rather than the companion book linked here http://ppi2pass.com/practice-problems-for-the-mechanical-engineering-pe-exam-mepp13.html I regret buying this book now from what I've heard from others. But it should still have a good resale value for after the test.

This way I will have an understanding of chapters that I didn't look at or flip to during the SMS and NCEES tests. I'm using a sticky note to block the answers to the problems so I can solve the problem first.

Seems like a good time to revive this 5 year old thread. With 10 days to go, I'm working on HVAC & Heat Transfer the rest of this week, and then working and reworking the NCEES practice exam up until next Tuesday 4/7. Retabbing the MERM on Wednesday, since my tabs are in pretty bad shape, and organizing to be sure I have everything ready to go.

What's everyone else's plan?

I've been through the NCEES practice test and SMS solutions multiple times and at this point I have memorized/know how to do most problems.

So now I'm going through the Practice Problems that accompany the MERM. Since I'm taking the HVAC and refrigeration test I'm going through chapters 23-37ish. Hoping to get through all the questions by test time but that's a lot of problems.

@Lundy

I've also been through the PE practice test and SMS problems quite a few times, figured it was a good way to wrap things up one last time before the exam.

I'm just ready to get it over with at this point.

Me too TheBigPig. Me too. I want my free time back. Have you worked any other sample tests/problems? I'm tired of looking at those two tests and figured the Lindeberg Practice problems from the depth section.

Most of the other problems that I worked came from Dr. Tom's 20 week review course, which I recently completed. I also completed examples outlined in the MERM where I found appropriate. I bought the Lindeburg problems that accompany the MERM, but never touched it. I hear the problems in there are mostly too challenging and take up a lot of time. Luckily my company paid for it.

I am gonna complete the sms probs (almost done) and have the ncees probs taken coming weekend. I might do sms and ncees one more time before the exam (Probably just the ones that went wrong first time). Planning to catch up the PM topics next 4 days (esp Dynamics and Vibrations)

If time permits, I had to catch up on some merm examples that I worked weeks before on some AM topics.

Can't wait to get this over with, seriously.

Retabbed MERM last weekend, replaced my mess of ratty yellow 1 inch post it notes with durable plastic tabs color coded by topic, similar to the Shaggy Method.

Finished up some HVAC and Thermal problems last night, now I'm going to freshen up on the AM topics through thrusday then switch to PM problems Friday and Saturday. I'm planning on reworking the sample exam Sunday (I took a mock sample exam about a month ago). Will skim through the plant engineering sections of the MERM early next week and then make sure I have everything organized and ready to go for exam day.

Wow. So going from ncees and SMS problems to the practice problems that accompany the merm is totally killing my confidence.

Wow. So going from ncees and SMS problems to the practice problems that accompany the merm is totally killing my confidence.

You're far better off running into problems you can't solve or formulas you haven't seen now than during the exam. The MERM companion problems, while more difficult than the SMS/NCEES shouldn't be impossible for you to do at this point. It is well worth the time working the MERM companion problems in the core areas and then revisit the SMS/NCEES just before the exam.

Back