Will I need/use the NEC handbook on the electrical/electronics test?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmidty99

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I'm trying to get started studying for the Electrical PE in April of 2010, under the electrical and electronics discipline. My first question is whether or not I will need the NEC Handbook for any of the problems? The NEC seems more related to the power discipline. Question 2: Since they changed the format for the 2009 and future tests, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what study materials would suit me the best. I see a lot folks talking about the EERM and Quick Reference, but some also say they didn't use them much (and they are expensive!!!). I saw a post earlier where someone wrote down there study materials, but that was for the old format test. I apologize if this has been covered, but I don't feel what I've read gives me a good feel for what I need to do Any help would be appreciated. Maybe if someone has an idea of what I need for basic books, and then later I can put a post out to some of the April 2009 test takers to see what they would have done different. Also, I'm guessing I can use some of the earlier editions of books to save a few bucks, but again I don't know if they will cover the new format test adequately? Ugh.... HELP!!! (I do plan on getting as many sample problems and answers that I can find). Thanks!!

^ The best advice I can give is to get the NCEES sample exam. For the old format at least, it was the closest available thing to the actual test. Since nobody has taken the test with the new format, the NCEES sample is going to give you the best idea of what you will need for study and reference materials for the exam.

:2cents:

Good call. Get the sample exam first and base my study materials off of that. Any thoughts on the NEC handbook?

^This has been an ongoing discussion, but my take is you should not need the NEC for the Electrical & Electronics version of the EE PE. Whether it would come in helpful is up for debate. I personally don't think so.

As for study materials, I can't say too much about the E&E version since I'm a power guy.

Great thanks! Can any Electrical/Electronics EE PE's weigh in out there? I ordered my sample test from NCEES yesterday. So once I get that I'll look over the problems and see if I can determine what study materials would suit me the best.

The specification for the Electrical/Electronics EE exam is here. Since there isn't any mention of code related questions, I would agree with MP in that you shouldn't need the NEC for the exam.

What about sub-section C under I - General Engineering? (see below)

C. Safety and Design Limits 4%

1. Interface applications

2. Failure limits and circuit protection

3. Safety grounding

4. Electromagnetic interference and exposure

5. Reliability

6. Electric shock and burns

Also under IV - Electronics, section B, subsection 8:

8. Circuit protection and safety

Is this something the NEC would cover or would it be covered in the EERM or something else?

On another note, does anyone have a preference on which "allowed" calculator is easiest to use, most functional, etc.

My allowed calculators are:

Casio: All fx-115 models. Any Casio calculator must contain fx-115 in its model name.

Hewlett Packard: The HP-33s and HP-35s models, but no others.

Texas Instruments: All TI-30X and TI-36X models. Any Texas Instrument calculator must contain either TI-30X or TI-36X in its model name.

Thanks!

There are a few threads discussing calculators.

Here are a couple of them: Thread 1, Thread 2, Thread 3

The whole calculator debate is kind of a Ford/Chevy type of thing. I'm a RPN guy so that pretty much puts me in the HP camp even though I don't like the 33s at all. The 35s is better but it still isn't "all that and a bag of chips".

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found a TI-36X I had for something, and I have TI-35 that I used for my FE test. I was taking a look at the FX-115ES and it looks like a more feature-rich unit that the TI-36X. I'll probably get one of those to check out, can't beat the price!

Thanks for all your help!

I prefer the Casio FX-115 series, I used the one that had the ability to display the text as you would see it written in a text book. The advantage was I could quickly look at the screen and see if I fat fingered something. Didn't have to decipher calculator-ese.

Back