"Why I want to know my score...."

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the PE is a "level of competency in engineering" then by definition a PE (by nature of the required experience and by demonstrating the level of competency by passing at least one 8hr test) should in fact be more valuable to the company than an EIT. No it does not mean that he/she should be promoted or a project manager but the PE qualification should certianly be taken into consideration for promotion or project manager status over someone who is not registered.
The topic is about whether the passing score should be divulged not whether the PE means anything or not. Your statements imply that being registered as a PE doesn't have any relevance. That is BS.

I am not going to sit here and listen to you bad mouth the United Sattes of America.

i got a little off topic DiazWV summed up what i was saying pretty nicely.

I agree with MA_PE. Passing the PE exam demonstrates proficiency in one's technical area and as such should be a big factor when considering promotion etc. Management on the other hand is not so technical, but a blend of art and science and the length and type of experience plays a major role in the kind of manager you are. Having a PE does not necessarily make you a good project manager, but it gives you a lot of credibility on the technical front.

Besides, almost everywhere else in the real world, things get ranked or graded. Do you want to go see a movie that got 1 star or 4 stars? How about Consumer Reports where everything under the sun gets a relative score so people can figure out which washing machine or popcorn maker to buy? When you watch a football game, you want to know the score, not just who won. Did they win by one point or did they crush the competition? I think pass-fail is the wuss way out.
Well, the movie example I'll ignore because it's based on opinion.

Consumer Reports tests are designed to determine which washing machine is the best - a different kind of test than if the test that they used only determined if the washing machine met a certain quality guideline. That's what UL does. UL testing doesn't determine which is the best - just that it meets a minimum level so as not to kill anyone...... Kind of like the PE test.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of me would still like to know, but a big part knows that I barely passed. I would take special joy knowing that my testing method of doing the AM session, then working the first 15 questions in the PM, and then leaving, paid off ;)

I worked with a guy who scored in the 90’s on the EIT, very smart, but he couldn’t put out a full complete set of plans to save his life. Sure he could draw a nice concept, develop a NASA certified spreadsheet to handle the quantities, but as far as dragging the full complete bid package across the goal line, you can forget that.

I would like to hear an explanation though of why they don’t pass out numbered scores.

Part of me thinks that since the passing percentage for second timers is so low that maybe the thought is that people will be more likely to study more in depth the second time around, rather than saying **** I made a 68! Guess I can just do a few more hydrology problems.

Great! I can add it to my ever expanding vocabulary. Have you guys heard of BOHICA?

Stands for Bend Over Here It Comes Again. An ex-Navy colleague of mine told me that.

Great! I can add it to my ever expanding vocabulary. Have you guys heard of BOHICA?
Stands for Bend Over Here It Comes Again. An ex-Navy colleague of mine told me that.

That brings to mind

An ex-NAVY friend of mine said..... NAVY - Never Again Volunteer Yourself.

Back