Why get a Mechanical PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work in the Government Sector so obtaining a PE provides promotional opportunities. Because we typically use consultants for most projects, having the PE shows them that we have just enough knowledge that we're NOT going to take any :poop:

Last edited by a moderator:
MikeR,What specific industry are you in. I presently design machinery for medical equipment... essentially a PE is not required thus no bonus but an adda-boy.
I work in Transit for a Public Agency. You need a PE to make Senior Engineer... hence the difference in Salary. The average Senior makes around 100K. I work mostly on Electric Railway Systems. Generally it encompasses Overhead Contact Systems (OCS), Traction Power (TP), Vehicular Systems, Signaling and Communications. OCS and Vehicles have a large dose of Mechanical Engineering. TP is basically Electric Power Distribution and Sub-stations. Railroad Signaling is sort of its own entity. I must say in writing OCS specifications that I deal a lot with ASTM, ANSI and ASME standards. You would not believe what we put the poor contractors through... the construction submittal process can be an absolute nightmare for the smaller contracting companies.

If you work for an engineering firm, you need a PE to very far. Drawings, plans, and specifications must be stamped by a PE. If the drawings, plans, or specifications are of the mechanical discipline, they must be stamped by a mechanical PE.

I am pursuing a PE for just a few reasons:

-Personal validation...I want to prove I can do it. I feel that I am a good Engineer now, but I want to do something that sets us apart from the rest of the pack.

-Freedom to consult...As someone pointed out earlier, jobs just don't seem as stable as they used to be, and I want the ability to consult if I find myself out of work.

-Maybe a little more respect...I don't have an "in-your-face" hard-driving personality. I am a little more laid back, take things in stride and try and do the best job I can. I am intentionally open to opinions and ideas and intentionally NOT an egomaniac (there are plenty of those to go around). Some people see that behaviour from an Engineer and believe that he is less capable, or less intelligent. Although it is sometimes satisfying to prove them wrong in a big way, it is most often a real pain to put up with in the first place, always feeling like you have to prove your worth. I want to separate myself from those people, by doing something they haven't...become a PE.

-I have been out of school a while now, changed jobs a couple of times and now our company has been bought and restructured several times. I have noticed that my desire has dropped significantly. I don't love what I do, and I don't get excited about technology or "cool stuff" like I did when I graduated. I want that feeling back, and studying for the PE exam might just be the kick in the pants I need to get it back.

----That's about it. ;o)

Johnny

If you work for an engineering firm, you need a PE to very far. Drawings, plans, and specifications must be stamped by a PE. If the drawings, plans, or specifications are of the mechanical discipline, they must be stamped by a mechanical PE.
Just curious, what state are you in? If I remember correctly, NY does not require to add your discipline to your stamp. There are probably other states like this as well. I had always thought that even though you may have had formal education in one discipline, as long as you had knowledge, and you felt competent in parts of another discipline it was up to you to decide if you were able to stamp those designs. Not saying this is Ideal, Just that I thought being "Professional" it was up to the individual to only accept work they are familiar with.

Rusty

Just curious, what state are you in? If I remember correctly, NY does not require to add your discipline to your stamp. There are probably other states like this as well. I had always thought that even though you may have had formal education in one discipline, as long as you had knowledge, and you felt competent in parts of another discipline it was up to you to decide if you were able to stamp those designs. Not saying this is Ideal, Just that I thought being "Professional" it was up to the individual to only accept work they are familiar with.
Rusty
Registration is discipline specific in some states and not specific in others. I agree with what you say: In non discipline-specific states, it is up to the individual PE to determine before he/she seals plans whether he/she is qualified in that area. However, if an engineer seals plans, and it is found by the state board that the engineer is practicing outside his/her area of competence, then the engineer is open to board sanctions. The board can always second-guess the engineer on competence, based on the engineer's education, background and experience, test discipline, and in some states, the board can require an engineer to sit for a board administered exam to settle the issue of competence. Additionally, an engineer who seals plans outside his/her area of competence opens his/herself to civil liability, especially in the event there is some sort of failure and investigation ensues. You won't find many Registered Professional civil or electrical engineers who would feel qualified to seal items as stress analysis calcs on high-pressure steam piping systems, or P&IDs for a power boiler installation. By the way, I do know someone with a BS degree in civil engineering, who accumulated the required experience to sit for the mechanical PE exam, is now registered, and would definitely be qualified in the mechanical discipline.

I'm in Pennsylvania. I'm a mechanical engineer (MSME) without a PE. I have 20 years experience in design, testing and analysis, mostly in the nuclear field. I have a huge retaining wall falling down at my house. I am required to get a PE stamp on any new design to replace the wall. So far, I have not obtained any interested PEs for the job. Too much creativity and liability for the price they feel they can charge. My forseeable solution will be one of two options: talk the town into letting me fix the wall to its original configuration (which lasted a good 100 years) or obtain my PE and stamp it myself (which I understand is acceptable to the town). This would be my reason for getting a PE as an ME. But my dumb question is, can I take the ME test and stamp the wall design? My town building inspector says as far as he reads the law, it's okay. I figure that I can learn enough civil engineering on my own to be comfortable stamping it myself after getting a mechanical PE.

Also, from what I've heard from friends back home in Utah, and from reading job ads, the mechanical PE is a must-have for getting many of the jobs in the West.

Civil I can understand since it is a requirement for advancement. However, I've worked in manufacturing, nuke power and education; PE is never required & I got a lot of 'what are you doing that for?'.
My reason was personal challenge. What's yours?

L

I saw a commercial last night for "Righteous Kill," a new cop movie starring Robert De Niro and Al Pacino. There was a great quote from the film in that commercial. "I'm a cop. I carry a badge and a gun. Most people respect the badge. Everybody respects the gun."

This is my analogy for an engineer who obtains their PE.

Substitute "license and experience" for "badge and gun" and there you go.

Last month I was talking with one of our young interns who is a senior at my alma mater. She confirmed for me that the mechanical profs (including a few with a PE!) are telling the kids not to bother with the FE/EIT, not to bother with a PE, because "no one" in mechanical needs a PE. I told her to at least take the test, because it's got to be easier to pass the FE when you're in school or just graduated, rather than 5+ years after you got out of school. She may never go past the EIT, but at least it's there if she later wants or needs to get a PE.

The professors told the kids that it's too much work for a mechanical engineer to get a PE, for very little potential reward in most cases. I have to agree with that sentiment - in most cases. When I go to recruiting events, it is highly unusual to have a mechanical or materials engineer expressing interest in licensure. Industry exemption means that most of us never "need" a PE.

One of the guys I went to college with is attempting to get his PE (his listing in the license database is "Pending", as is my listing for an EIT, so that means he hasn't taken and passed the test yet). He works in the nuclear power industry and it's apparently helpful for him. Several guys from my class got their EIT and didn't take the process further, because they didn't need it. Most of us didn't bother at all.

I'm going to try to get a PE as a personal/professional challenge, and because it could be helpful for me to have later in my career if I get involved in code committees. It will look nice on my business card, and then I could endorse young engineers in my organization who might be interested in getting a PE. That's pretty much it. I expect that the only drawings I may ever seal would be to get a building permit to put a new patio on the back of my house.

Im doing it as a personal challenge. My job does give me a nice spot bonus for attaining it. But that doesn't necessarily mean a huge pay raise.

Like katiebug it does look nice on the business card and endorsing future engineers is a plus especially minority engineers since there aren't too many of us in the field.

Having a PE will do nothing but open new doors for you, no matter what your discipline is. I will never stamp any designs unless I want to take a pay cut and become a design engineer, but having the PE will bring me more career opportunities than not having one.

Back