Why get a Mechanical PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why get a PE?
You aren't really an engineer if you aren't a PE.
From my experience and talking with people from around the country, the very best engineers are those engineers whom have been in this business the longest. Men and women whom devoted 20, 30, 40, and in some cases 50 years of their adult working lives in this business. These people are highly knowledgeable, down to earth, and intelligent problem solvers. These people are real engineers. Of course, their salaries are pretty high.

I don't think a license is an absolute mark between an engineer and a non-engineer. In some fields like aerospace, there's a stronger emphasis on postgraduate degrees than PEs. On the other hand, if you're in government or in the building construction industry, PEs are a must have item.

There aren't really any black and white answers to these questions.

Just my $ 0.02

Someone said it was an ego thing. I have heard that from one other person in the past. I got my ME PE license in June '06. I never once tought of it as having anything to do with ego. It was always all about these things for me:

1) I might want to work in HVAC consulting. In this case, it could be a must have if certain levels of promotion were desired.

2) If I wanted to start my own "engineering" firm (I put in quotations since there can be many interpretations of what an engineering firm is), the license might be critical.

3) If I wanted to differentiate myself from many of the other hundred or so MEs going for the same job ad, the PE license might help.

4) If I wanted a little leverage in negotiating salary by demonstrating my technical and professional dedication and capabilities, the PE might help.

5) Just like some mountain climbers answer when asked why they climbed the mountain, I did it because it was there.

It is 4 months or more of grueling dedication in studying (after 4 or more years of experience), not to mention a wicked application process and horribly nerve-wracking test day. But, overall, the risk and commitment are well worth the reward. Granted, the license is not extremely important for my present position, but it did help in bringing in a larger starting salary that would otherwise have been offered. If I ever get laid off, I might have a better chance at landing the next gig. Since I work somewhat in sales (kinda, sorta), having the "P.E." designation might help me to build trust and rapport with the engineers and business owners with whom I work.

For me, there really is no downside. Yeah, it was a rough 4 months and a rough 2 month wait. But worth it. No ego here, just happy to have made it.

Ed

Good post Ed. I don't really understand why anyone would go to the trouble of getting a BS in engineering, and then not at least attempt to get licensed. Just my opinion of course, but I wouldn't get a law degree and than not take the BAR exam. I don't really need my PE for my current job, but it's amazed me how differently almost everyone I come into contact with has treated me since passing the exam. Having your PE license opens doors, plain and simple. Passing the test doesn't make you a good engineer, or a genius, or a good person, but it does show that you're at least proficient enough to pass the test and that's not insignificant. You can't fake the PE, and I think everybody knows it. :beerchug:

3) If I wanted to differentiate myself from many of the other hundred or so MEs going for the same job ad, the PE license might help.4) If I wanted a little leverage in negotiating salary by demonstrating my technical and professional dedication and capabilities, the PE might help.
Agreed - very good Ed. These were my reasons - with a little 'personal accomplishment'. Working in Manufacturing in a small town - if the plant decides they want to outsource / offshore engineering, then I'll be competing for few engineering jobs with a lot of other engineers if I want to stay in this town.

I agree with the reasons cited in the previous posts from TouchDown, MetroRAFB, and EdinNO. For me, the preparation for the exam is also getting me back in touch with my "Inner Engineer". In my position as a project engineer, I have been somewhat removed from the nitty gritty fundamentals of mechanical engineering. Preparing for and (hopefully) passing in April '07 will make me feel like I have gotten back to my roots, and that I have more career options.

Randy

A lot of resumes are coming across Engineering Group Manager's desks with P.E. highlighted. JUST DO IT! ModernDoug

In consulting or in your own business, a PE can, and will open doors.

In corporate america, a PE is offers little or no benefit; for example, I was offered an engineering mgmt positon for GM that would supervise PE's when I graduated from a top school because of my background.

It's also important where you graduate from if you secure a PE, especially when consulting, operating a business, or becoming an expert witness.

Last edited by a moderator:
In consulting or in your own business, a PE can, and will open doors.
In corporate america, a PE is offers little or no benefit; for example, I was offered an engineering mgmt positon for GM that would supervise PE's when I graduated from a top school because of my background.

It's also important where you graduate from if you secure a PE, especially when consulting, operating a business, or becoming an expert witness.

It's industry dependent. In the Power industry or in the Nuclear world, a PE can make a big difference.

The fact that GM would value some kid just out of school more than their experienced PEs says a lot about the automotive industry, IMHO -- I guess that might be at the root of why so many of us drive Japanese cars...It's certainly something to give pause for thought. I've yet to see an academic program that can produce perspective that matches industry experience, regardless of what "top school" we're talking about.

"background means experience" and I was proven to be one of the top engineers in the country -- you don't get offers for 6 fiqures out of undergrad unless you're a top candidate with years of relevant management and engineering experience.

You put your foot in your mouth by assuming I was a kid out of college -- how many engineers get a job at a Fortune 10 firm, let alone engineering mgmt? You might be right about Nuclear or Power Industry, but that industry couldn't come close to competing for the top talent when I graduated in 2000. Southern Co. for example, couldn't secure 1 Highest Honor talent -- we all went to either GM, Seimens, GE, McKinsey, or NASA.

As I said, anyone can get a PE, but not everyone has what it takes to graduate with Highest Honors from a top 5 world-class engineering school.

It's industry dependent. In the Power industry or in the Nuclear world, a PE can make a big difference.
The fact that GM would value some kid just out of school more than their experienced PEs says a lot about the automotive industry, IMHO -- I guess that might be at the root of why so many of us drive Japanese cars...It's certainly something to give pause for thought. I've yet to see an academic program that can produce perspective that matches industry experience, regardless of what "top school" we're talking about.

"background means experience" and I was proven to be one of the top engineers in the country -- you don't get offers for 6 fiqures out of undergrad unless you're a top candidate with years of relevant management and engineering experience.
Wow, I stand corrected. Dude, you really are the real deal. I'm honored to be swapping messages with you.

By the way, is there a list of the top engineers? I'd be interested to see who else I might know on there...

Last edited:
As they say, is this a private fight or can anyone join? <lol> As someone who has been on many inteviews, as well as done some hiring of MEs and EEs for aerospace and high tech, I think which school you have graduated from and what your grades were is important at the entry level, or mid career if that is when you actually get the degree. In other words, right at graduation time they are going to look more closely at school, grades, etc. Later on it becomes less relevant. A PE is an added feather, mid career, and is almost a base credential in Civil Eng, but not quite as important in ME or EE, except in certain industries like construction or power.

What I have found is more important is experience. What level jobs have you held, what kind of projects have you been involved in and what was your level of responsibility. If you are in new product design, what is your patent record. And perhaps the most important, how many people have you supervised, and what level of budget did you have control over. If you had budgetary control, did you bring projects in successfully under budget.

What I have found is more important is experience...
Agreed, experience is the key. For the most part, the PE is more of a screening tool and a tie breaker in the Mechanical world.

Although, with the upswing that's going on in the nuclear industry, folks are scrambling to get registered. Nothing like being able to stamp a pressure vessel report when you're looking for a job in that arena. Those guys need a PE in the more practical sense than most of us.

Whatever the background or education, if anyone one of us doesn't sit on our rump & work the problems, it's unlikely any of us will pass.

Agreed, experience is the key. For the most part, the PE is more of a screening tool and a tie breaker in the Mechanical world.
Although, with the upswing that's going on in the nuclear industry, folks are scrambling to get registered. Nothing like being able to stamp a pressure vessel report when you're looking for a job in that arena. Those guys need a PE in the more practical sense than most of us.

I am trying to complete my application package for appearing in October's P.E Mechanical exam. Got stuck with the SER. Can someone please email me their SER for a reference? My email is [email protected].

I will appreciate if anyone can send me some reference to prepare and complete my SER.

Last edited:
As I said, anyone can get a PE, but not everyone has what it takes to graduate with Highest Honors from a top 5 world-class engineering school.
GPA at *any* educational institution is not a reliable measure of real-world capability. Have you never met a 4.0 student that has no practical sense? While highest honors or summa cum laude is certainly given to a select group, it doesn't portend success in a career field (whatever you use to measure success).

I'm curious... did you graduate with english or latin honors? How are you sure you graduated from a top five engineering school worldwide? Please share what school you attended and what the yardstick was for honors. Well, give the school and program and I can figure that out on my own.

Without a PE... 2K a month poorer. With a PE... 2K a month richer. For me personally it's that simple. I am getting the bloody PE.

Without a PE... 2K a month poorer. With a PE... 2K a month richer. For me personally it's that simple. I am getting the bloody PE.
MikeR,

What specific industry are you in. I presently design machinery for medical equipment... essentially a PE is not required thus no bonus but an adda-boy.

Back