why do people open the door at the ATM, drive thru, etc

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pretty much HAVE to be on a cash system. I am really bad at just pulling out the card for everything, and then forgetting to track it.

As far as the budget meetings go... sometimes they are really short...

me: "Hon, I need to buy the kid a new car seat because he is 1lb away from outgrowing the one he's in."

him: "OK. do you know which one you want?"

me: "Yep. and I found it on sale for $116, it usually sells for $190."

him: "OK. put it on the debit card, I'll enter it in Quicken."

We both have our own spending money that we can use for ANYTHING, no questions asked... but when it's gone, it's gone.

We both have our own spending money that we can use for ANYTHING, no questions asked... but when it's gone, it's gone.
That's fair.

Once I express mild skepticism .. you have to realize I am emerging from a divorce from a bitch who still had to charge to credit whilst making $90k/yr with no car payment, $690/mo mortgage, and $144/mo in student loans as her outstanding debt.

She never understood the meaning of 'no' .. until I smacked her in the back of her balding head with the divorce petition.

Can't wait to say .. "so how's 40ish treating you? I have been finding mid-20s is MUCH better! :D "

JR

Once I express mild skepticism .. you have to realize I am emerging from a divorce from a bitch who still had to charge to credit whilst making $90k/yr with no car payment, $690/mo mortgage, and $144/mo in student loans as her outstanding debt.
I totally understand that you're coming from a different place... we didn't always do things this way... and it did cause problems in our marriage. Now that we're both on the same page money-wise, we fight a LOT less than we used to.

me: "Hon, I need to buy the kid a new car seat because he is 1lb away from outgrowing the one he's in."him: "OK. do you know which one you want?"

me: "Yep. and I found it on sale for $116, it usually sells for $190."

him: "OK. put it on the debit card, I'll enter it in Quicken."
That same conversation last year would have been:

him: "What is this $300 charge at Target from?"

me: "Uhhh... I don't remember. What day was it?"

him: "Friday"

me: "Oh yeah, that's the car seat."

him (yelling): "You bought a $300 car seat???"

me: "Well, no. The car seat was $190. The rest was, um, I dunno."

him: "How in the hell am I supposed to keep track of what we spend if you don't keep receipts or tell me when you buy something???"

me: "I dunno."

him: "Please just give me the receipts when you put something on the card so I can track it in Quicken."

me: "That's not fair. You don't tell me every single thing you spend money on!"

him: "I would if you asked. Do you even know what we owe on that card?"

me: "No. I figure you always make sure there's a couple hundred bucks clear."

him: "Yeah, I do that because I was sick of paying over-the-limit fees."

so, yeah, less fighting over money now :)

No, I think he is wanting to be a physician. He wants to do medical missions work. He's really smart, really good with people, very compassionate, kind hearted (obviously I'm biased) but he'd make a good doctor. He is intellectual but he's very social. He also plays quite a few musical instruments (banjo, mandolin, guitar, drums, piano, bass, bass guitar). He loves the outdoors (hiking, camping, backpacking) and my experience with the midwest is there isn't a lot of that to do. I think the ideal campus for him would have a good music scene, lot's of outdoor extracurricular activities, academically challenging, and a good social scene.
There is literally nothing I can say about the medical program at OU. I know they have research centers and a hospital but that's about it. I do understand they have a good reputation.

Most like the music, outdoors and appreciate the academics at OU I would think.

Back on topic,

I made sure that since marriage is a very high probability that we went to some financial classes together.

She doesn't work (full time university student) but her family gives her money such that she makes well above what I do and I can't afford her standard of living so I say no to things quite often and I'm ok with that since I don't ever want to go in debt for lifestyle ever again. I fought two and a half years working 80 hour weeks with no life to pay off my debts and that experience has changed how I think of money.

Back