Which job should I take?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machiavelli999

Reaction score
Should I stay at the company I am at now - $72.5k/year, pay no health premium, 25% match 401k, 0-4k annual bonuses depending on how the company is doing. But I am very slow now and I don't really like my boss. Plus the company is a civil company that happens to have electrical guys and is really focused on the public sector.

OR

$76k/year, pay $34/month premium, 100% match up to 3% on 401k, bonuses purely discretionary. The company is focused on the private manufacturing sector but currently has little presence in my area and is trying to use me to help them go after jobs. They are focused on cleanroom, data centers and process power design in general.

The decision is driving me crazy.

Should I stay at the company I am at now - $72.5k/year, pay no health premium, 25% match 401k, 0-4k annual bonuses depending on how the company is doing. But I am very slow now and I don't really like my boss. Plus the company is a civil company that happens to have electrical guys and is really focused on the public sector.
OR

$76k/year, pay $34/month premium, 100% match up to 3% on 401k, bonuses purely discretionary. The company is focused on the private manufacturing sector but currently has little presence in my area and is trying to use me to help them go after jobs. They are focused on cleanroom, data centers and process power design in general.

First job.25% match on 401k is a beast. The second job doesn't even compare.

OR

Maybe you misread it. In job 2, if he contributes 3% the company will contribute 3%. In order for company 1 to contribute 3% he would have to contribute 12%. How is that better?

OR

Maybe you misread it. In job 2, if he contributes 3% the company will contribute 3%. In order for company 1 to contribute 3% he would have to contribute 12%. How is that better?
No it's not that straight-forward...you can only contribute up to $16500 a year to a 401k if under 50, so assuming there is no limit to the contributions by employer, job #1 could contribute 25% of 16500 (4125) while job #2 would only contribute 3% of 76k (2280).

The difference is peanuts, though. Go where you think you'll be happier or where you think you'll gain the experience to get you where you want to be later on. There are so many different factors to consider besides compensation and benefits (even though they can make a big difference).

Good luck deciding. You're the only one who can make the best call for you.

I decided to make the jump.

The job I am at now heavily relies on institutional and government clients. Things have seriously slowed down in those two fields at least for my company.

The new company is focused on the manufacturing industry and as long as the economy doesn't crash again (a BIG if, I know) it seems to be a better place to be.

The job I am at now heavily relies on institutional and government clients. Things have seriously slowed down in those two fields at least for my company.

The new company is focused on the manufacturing industry and as long as the economy doesn't crash again (a BIG if, I know) it seems to be a better place to be.
In my experience mfg is much more interesting and rewarding than most other client types. I hope you will find that you agree. Also, it isn't a lot of fun to play support to another discipline that is the primary focus so maybe you will get more challenging work. Good luck!

Regarding the economy, my companies client base is heavily mfg and we have done quite well over the past 5 years so you may find that it isn't as risky as you might think. Did you ask about the staffing levels over the past years to see if they expand and contract with the Dow? A bit late now for you but I have always asked those sorts of questions (worded a little more appropriately). If they don't want to discuss it or don't think it's my business then I am OUT!

Best of luck in your new job! Hopefully it goes well and inspires the rest of us to make the leap!

Back