Which Discipline for afternoon test on PE-Civil is easier to pass?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay. Now I see. I'm assuming the electrical is all the power associated with the wiring of the facilities, and maybe some motors and controls.

I ask the question because IMO the most imortant but underrated portion of the licensing process is getting an honest reference to sign off on your experience. Probably most of us could pass multiple disciples if we studied enough, but this isn't the EIT where we are trying to learn basics for an exam to get a license to start learning the details. We're already supposed to know something and have work experience before we apply or start studying. Otherwise they'd just have kids take the a handful of PE exams right out of school.

But it looks like you have a rounded experience.

Why not buy the sample exams and see what you know best? Or are they separate refernces for each afternoon discipline?

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of my electrical experience came from designing solar photo voltaic systems and some building wiring.... No they aren't separate references. Yes, I will have to borrow one of the old sample exams from a friend... because the new NCEES samples exams don't have all of the depth sections, you get them specifically for one (I have the construction one). Good idea... Thanks.

I completely understand the need to have the exam in front of you as a motivator.

I took the master electricians exam after taking an NEC code review class (got tied of electrical contractors looking at my glazed over eyes when they laid thier rap on me) and the instructor, who happened to be a city building official, signed off on my application. Having an actual exam to study for was a grwat reason to learn the material (I passed...even though I never held a conduit hickey in my life!).

I took the construction exam and I thought it was a good choice for someone with professional experience, but not really having in-depth specific experience in the other civil disciplines.

Good luck!

palv, it looks like you are in CA. See the end of my Post #17. I'd recommend that you consider selecting Structures or Transpo as your 8-hr depth module since it will provide you with a head start on your CA Seismic or CA Survey studying (or vice versa). Good luck. You're the man.

Oh, happy T-Giving everyone.

No they aren't separate references.
By separate references I meant the books you study from, not the people you use as references, which apparently are separate according to your post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think no matter what afternoon portion you pick, you need to know all subjects for morning and I feel when you are preparing for AM, you would know which should be your PM section.

Even though i cracked it in 1st shot i would say None. You have to study hard.

But according to me..

CONST

TRANSPO

WATER

GEO

STRUCTURE

I think that with the right study plan, any of the depth exams could be passed 1st time regardless of your work area. Of course, it sure helps if you take the exam in the area you work....leaves more time to study for the AM.

****, I am glad I don't have to take this test in April !!!!

My background is strucutral. My main focus at work is steel and concrete. I studied wood in college. I spent many hours preparing for the structural depth of the 8 hour exam. I passed the exam, but in my opinion, structural depth was really "tough"!.. If you don't have a background in structural, I don't recommend taking it.

Back