When to add the "PE" to your signature?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technically cannot change until you have an official PE # in that state.  I am in PA and passed in MD so I am goign to have to bite my lip for a coupl eof months.  PA reciprocity is paper work, paper work, paper work.
Not sure why you took it in MD but if you are licensed in MD, you can have a PE signature on your business cards, signature, etc. You just can't seal anything in PA.

Not sure why you took it in MD but if you are licensed in MD, you can have a PE signature on your business cards, signature, etc. You just can't seal anything in PA.
Not that simple... there was some good discussion on here years ago about business cards and signatures and I recall the general conclusion was that you'd need to specify the state you're registered in. But if you had a signature or business card that just read "John Hu, P.E." you'd be in trouble!

You are allright to have PE after your name if the address on your business card is the state in which you are registered. I am registered in Montana and Texas. I have my business cards with our Montana address-- that works. However, If I were to have new business cards for work we do in another state, say Oklahoma and am not registered in Oklahoma, then that is a rule violation and you could get in trouble.

I actually had that happen when I came to Montana. I think I knew that rule, but did not pay attention to it. I had new business cards made for another job that I had with PE on them. Somebody turned me in to the Montana board. I got a "cease and desist" letter. I solved the problem by becoming registered in Montana.--- no further problems. This is attention to detail --- and sadly, I did know it. I just failed to pay attention. At the end of the day, all worked out OK, however, some embarrassment in the middle. Sheer buffoonery on my part! NO EXCUSE for buffoonery.

You are allright to have PE after your name if the address on your business card is the state in which you are registered. I am registered in Montana and Texas. I have my business cards with our Montana address-- that works. However, If I were to have new business cards for work we do in another state, say Oklahoma and am not registered in Oklahoma, then that is a rule violation and you could get in trouble.

I actually had that happen when I came to Montana. I think I knew that rule, but did not pay attention to it. I had new business cards made for another job that I had with PE on them. Somebody turned me in to the Montana board. I got a "cease and desist" letter. I solved the problem by becoming registered in Montana.--- no further problems. This is attention to detail --- and sadly, I did know it. I just failed to pay attention. At the end of the day, all worked out OK, however, some embarrassment in the middle. Sheer buffoonery on my part! NO EXCUSE for buffoonery.
That is great information to know. Don't know how I didn't think of it prior. I just passed my PE in NJ but I work primarily in PA. I haven't ordered my new business cards or anything, but I'll have to remember this and make sure I don't make a mistake. I've already printed the paperwork for reciprocity in PA... just waiting on my official PE number and whatnot.

Anyway, thanks for the information.

I waited until I had my liscense number.

In CT after I received the NCEES letter I had to pay a fee to the state, then they generated a number, then I was a PE.

My offical state liscense date is the date they got the check.

Basically it is my opinion that if you can stamp a print your a PE - very few people would (SHOULD) stamp a print the day after they found out that they passed.

Patience my friends - enjoy the fact that you passed - I still tell my wife "I cant believe I passed"

Tim

So to conclude, it would be a wise idea to put your name as follows on Business card.

JohnXYZ, PE (Texas)

But, I do not see lot of experience professionals putting the licensing state behind your name in business card?

So to conclude, it would be a wise idea to put your name as follows on Business card.

JohnXYZ, PE (Texas)

But, I do not see lot of experience professionals putting the licensing state behind your name in business card?
I don't think you need to put your state after your name.
I disagree. Some states define this as "offering services" and if you're not licensed in their state, they'll come after you. I'm seeing more and more business cards with states listed. Email signatures, too. We are contemplating it where I work.

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over it. but probably safe to wait till you get your number.. I do know ONE person that had the state of Georgia mix up two people (one that passed and one that didn't) one was overjoyed at work for about 3 days until the state realized the goof and contacted them.. I imagine the other one that was told they failed that actually passed was pretty elated!

Most state boards don't even take disciplinary action from people that are convicted of crimes, stamp stuff they didn't design, etc (take a look at the meeting minutes of your average state board) its surprising the things that barely even get a slap on the wrist. I really doubt any of these "state boards" are out looking for people that have PE on their email signatures and email someone from another state.....

A lot of people work for national & international companies. Hell I forwarded an email from a guy in UK the other day....its just not a practical thing to worry about!

JohnXYZ, PE (Texas)

I disagree. Some states define this as "offering services" and if you're not licensed in their state, they'll come after you. I'm seeing more and more business cards with states listed. Email signatures, too. We are contemplating it where I work.
Again, I don't think it is necessary to put your state(s) of licensure, after your name.

JohnXYZ, PE (Texas)

Again, I don't think it is necessary to put your state(s) of licensure, after your name.
I'm not sure if I'm missing an inside joke or something, but I'll play.

Again, I disagree.......

JohnXYZ, PE (Texas)

I'm not sure if I'm missing an inside joke or something, but I'll play.

Again, I disagree.......
I am just saying it is not needed for everyone to list the state in which they are registered on their business card, that's all. If it is one state that you are registered in and your business card has your office address, it is assumed that is the state you are registered in. This fits the majority of PEs.

Our company has offices in multiple states and while we don't have the addresses of all offices on our cards, we do work in multiple offices and don't have multiple business cards. We are thinking better safe than sorry. We also don't allow anyone to have "engineer" in their title unless they're licensed.

It's a good thing I'm a PE now, I should be a shoo-in for that job - look at those benefits - free associate shift meal! Wow, I'm sure it's quite the manly meal too since you're required to lift 100 lbs occasionally.

Back