What was life like when you were a kid?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had an old style Chevy van. My dad bolted my car seat to the top of the engine cover (Right between the two front seats). I think he would be arrested in most states for doing something like that these days.
Anybody else have memories of riding down the highway sitting in the back of a pick-up truck?
That totally reminds me of the van we had when I was a young'un. Mom and dad bought the van the day before I was born. It was a cargo van (two front seats, nothing behind that) with a black, orange, silver paint job (from the bottom up). Dad customized the entire interior with shag-like carpet, two bench seats against the walls, and a table between them.All that could be converted into a bed, too. Between that and the front seat was a counter and a camper port-o-can (behind drapes and walls. Wood paneling lined the walls. On the counter we had a small sink and the old 13'ish inch B&W TV and... get this... the Atari!

I used to kneel down in the front, basically on top of the engine cover. I can still remember kneeling there for so long on trips that my knees had the carpet impressions for a looooooong time after getting up. I miss that van.
Was it a Ford "Cruising Van"? In the 70's, 80's Ford sold a van that was "customized" from the factory with paint and mag wheels on the outside but left to the purchaser to finish the inside.

Looked damn close to that. Except it didn't have any porthole windows and the stripe never angled. We also don't buy Fords. :p

We stayed at Jackson Hole (found a great deal), did a drive through one day at Yellowstone (we had both been there before), and then another day at Teton, basically doing what my parents and I did. I am looking forward to doing that with mini-Buff when she gets older.
I absolutely love that area. I got married right in the park, and we are thinking of going back for a week next year to celebrate our 5 year anniversary. Instead of doing the whole wedding and hanging out with relatives, I'm hoping we can just camp and hike and bike and raft and all that good outdoorsy stuff there.

If you go back you should take in the Jackson Hole Rodeo. We had front row seats on the "50 yard line" and it was a lot of fun.

We stayed at Jackson Hole (found a great deal), did a drive through one day at Yellowstone (we had both been there before), and then another day at Teton, basically doing what my parents and I did. I am looking forward to doing that with mini-Buff when she gets older.
I absolutely love that area. I got married right in the park, and we are thinking of going back for a week next year to celebrate our 5 year anniversary. Instead of doing the whole wedding and hanging out with relatives, I'm hoping we can just camp and hike and bike and raft and all that good outdoorsy stuff there.

If you go back you should take in the Jackson Hole Rodeo. We had front row seats on the "50 yard line" and it was a lot of fun.
I've never been to a rodeo, but have a few that occur during the summer months here on a weekly basis. I think I might take mini-Buff to some of them this coming summer and see how she likes them.

It was a lot of fun, and obviously not something you see in the northeast.

I did pass on the Montana Testicle Festival though. Which, while I'm no fan of the Rocky Mtn Oysters, I am sad I missed because I learned after the fact that there were wet t-shirt contests and oil wrestling.

I did pass on the Montana Testicle Festival though. Which, while I'm no fan of the Rocky Mtn Oysters, I am sad I missed because I learned after the fact that there were wet t-shirt contests and oil wrestling.
Considering the name of the festival and all, are you sure that it wasn't a wet boxer contest?

Not necessarily true. They used to have a rodeo show at the Allepo Shriner's Auditorium here in Wakefield MA. We took the kids a couple of times. One time a horse through the cowboy and the guys hand got caught in the reins and the horse dragged him for a couple of laps around the place untilthey managed to stop him. The anouncer said he'd been doing the show for ~20 years and never saw anything that bad. The cowboy lived but his hand/arm got pretty messed up.

I am not aware of any testicle festivals around here though.

Our dr office rotates well baby visits between the dr and the nurse pract. Today was the nurse pract. She started reading me the riot act about giving minisnick 2% instead of whole milk. I just let her rant. Yes fats are good for brain development but with the amount of milk minisnick drinks in a day, he gets the same amount of fat as if he were to drink the recommended amounts of whole. The fat is not different. how did we all manage to be come smart people drinking 2% milk.

^ I don't know about that. Been to P'Town lately?

As for the rodeo, I've been to one twice. Loved it both times. Apprently, the major league rodeo circuit, the name escapes me, has a big event at Madison Square Garden every year. My parents used to go. They thought it was interesting to walk into a trendy midtown bar and see guys in Wranglers and boots.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife always buys 2% and my kids go through about a gallon a day.

I prefer good ole' fashioned HOMOGENIZED VITAMAN D MILK, but have to settle for 2% since that's what's always in the fridge.

I grew up on a farm. The only processing that milk ever had was a trip through a strainer and off to the 33oF cooler. The first step of opening a new gallon was to scoop the cream off the top. To me, even the milk with the heart-stopper red cap is pretty much cloudy water.

^ I don't know about that. Been to P'Town lately?
As for the rodeo, I've been to one twice. Loved it both times. Apprently, the major league rodeo circuit, the name escapes me, has a big event at Madison Square Garden every year. My parents used to go. They thought it was interesting to walk into a trendy midtown bar and see guys in Wranglers and boots.

If you like the rodeo up there, you'd LOVE it in Houston. BBQ cook-off on Saturday (some of the best BBQ in all of TX comes out, hundreds and hundreds of booths/tents), and some of the best bullriders to boot!

I probably would. I think that stuff is fun.

As for milk, most of the time we've been drinking soy or almond milk lately. I like the chocolate Silk and the vanilla almond milk, it feels like you are drinking something naughty but it's good for you.

As for the regular moo juice, we always had 1 or 2% growing up, but my wife grew up on skim and despises the other stuff. I didn't care much one way or the other, so we get skim.

me 2% since I started drinking cow's milk

Mr snick 2% until he was a teen then switched to skim because he likes the taste better

I grew up on good 'ole whole milk. My wife has always bought the 2% stuff. I can tolerate that, but prefer the whole stuff. To me skim is definitely cloudy water.

Back