What is the typical passing percentage?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be a pebble, but what a pricey pebble it can be. If you start your own engineering company (or service other engineering companies) you might be able to charge more than $65 per hour for your services. Based on a 2,080 hour year (40 hours a week) that would be $135,200. Tell me which engineer working for another firm can get that salary (BTW, figures are taken from about 9 years ago...I figure that the hourly chargeable rate is even higher in FL now).

Now deduct your costs for overhead, annual software licenses, professional liability insurance (which you really should have), etc., and you'll find working for yourself isn't as profitable as you think it is.

Plus, unless you somehow have multiple projects, there is no way you'd actually be able to bill 40 hours a week to your clients.

That's the funny thing about being a PE. Just because you may have those two letters behind your name because you were able to take and pass an exam does not necessarily mean you are a better engineer than someone without one. I know plenty of folks that are mighty intelligent, but do not have there PE.

Won't I be the same engineer after I pass the exam (if I do)? I don't think passing the exam will increase my engineering ability. Maybe those two letters behind my name will finally unleash the JEDI powers in me that I know I have! Are you scared? You will be, You will be!

Last edited:
Why do repeat takers have a lower pass rate than first-time takers?

Analogy: take 100 people and see how many can high-jump 4 ft. Let's say 75 clear the bar and 25 fail.

Now give the 25, the ones who failed, a second chance. Probably the success rate would be less than the original 75%.

Yes, of that 25, they've already proved their ability to fail.

But I'm gonna keep taking it, cause you know the saying "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then"

Back