What do you use to bring in your books?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What happens when you buy a mini-donkey?

Your getting a little a$$

holes.jpg

In our exam room (IL - Champaign) those with big rolling suitcases had to remove their stuff at their designated testing table and then take the suitcases outside. I had a mesh backpack and a cardboard moving box with my stuff in it. I was able to keep the box by my desk.

By far the weirdest thing for me was that I couldn't keep my watch on the table. I didn't want to wear it the whole time, but wanted to be able to see it. No dice. Either on your wrist or off the table.

Was allowed to have my watch on the table but was forbidden to chew gum which put a bit of a damper on my plans.

People use a lot of different things for this.  I just used a crate similar to a milk carton.  You want it to be something that helps organize the books also.

Mechanical PE Academy - http://www.mechanicalpeacademy.com/ 
Crates of any type work well.  Try to stick with two at most though.  Anything beyond that and you're likely going to be fishing through too many references to find a real answer in time.

Whatever you decide, just do a dry run with the setup so you can get used to it and make any minor changes you want.  I had one crate on the table like a book shelf and one on the floor with extra references I thought I might need but did not use frequently (more depth related).

I took about 10 books.  I put all that would fit into a cloth shopping bag and arm wrestled the other two in.  Most people had rolling suitcases.

I used a standard backpack and a small lunch cooler (nothing to eat around the BJCC in Birmingham, AL).  I am ME so I only carried 4 books.  People taking the test with me had all sorts of containers.  The guys wrestling the worn out paper boxes that were running over with every book they ever owned were a sight.  Looked like they were wrestling a bull.

Rolling crate and another milk crate that I stacked on top. The people taking the SE had big rubbermaid cargo containers on flatbed trolleys.

I had a rolling laptop bag. Since my major was Electrical and Electronics, I didn't need too many references. So Just 5 books for me. However, I did have a compass with a pencil in case I had to work on a Smith chart. 2 proctors came and examined it closely and decided I couldn't keep it. I wasn't allowed to keep my watch or my food on the table. Once we put all the stuff that we didn't or couldn't keep into our suitcases/backpacks; we were able to stack them along the wall of the exam room. But the sight of people carrying all that luggage did amuse me and I actually took a short video after the exam as the people came out :)

We need another discussion to about what people wore for the exam. I think I saw a couple of people in pajamas! Honestly, those folding chairs were pretty bad. If I had to take the exam again, I might have taken a 'cush for my tush' :)

Back