What do you think is the cut score for PE Civil Oct 2010? (Raw ?/80)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess i forgot the other two... You can include roadwreck and benbo in that original statement. It should state
"What are the chances that the Dark Knight, Flyer PE, Wilhelpd PE, ROADWRECK AND BENBO have any luck with the ladies...

It's definately 0/80. I have a sound basis for this number. Look at the number of posts they have and their nauseating attempts at humor. ALSO, LOOK AT HOW THEY STICK UP FOR THEIR BOYFRIENDS...
Nice name.

I also like your flagpole.

By changing my member image to a rainbow flag you are just proving my case of how much luck you must have with the ladies. It also goes to show you what kind of board this is and the kind of people that run it. They have rainbow flag graphics floating around on their computers so when they have to put together one of their monthly LGBT memos it is pretty handy.
Hey, we can't all write the NAMBLA chapter newsletter, so we take what we can get.

thanks guys for all the replies, I think theres only one reasonable answer that I got from khalid eid, the other ones are way too high for a cut score on the Oct 2010 PE exams.

thanks guys for all the replies, I think theres only one reasonable answer that I got from khalid eid, the other ones are way too high for a cut score on the Oct 2010 PE exams.
Yeah, sorry your thread got hijacked STEEL MAN. You know my guess - the score is generally around 56/80. May go a little lower (53/80) for a very hard test. Probably no lower. I think that's true no matter what the discipline.

But that's just my guess. But there is nothing wrong with guessing, as long as you don't claim to have some sort of inside info.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are welcome. Sometimes the questions are answered but the answer is not what we wanted to hear.

Yeah, sorry your thread got hijacked STEEL MAN. You know my guess - the score is generally around 56/80. May go a little lower (53/80) for a very hard test. Probably no lower. I think that's true no matter what the discipline.

But that's just my guess. But there is nothing wrong with guessing, as long as you don't claim to have some sort of inside info.
Yeah, its a shame when a thread gets hi-jacked this bad. But Benbo hit the nail on the head. 54 to 56 out of 80 has always been my quessing range.

Bottom line, don't dwell on it (easier said than done, we've all been there) and go do something fun. Like spam in the official waiting thread in Shoot the Breeze. :D

By changing my member image to a rainbow flag you are just proving my case of how much luck you must have with the ladies. It also goes to show you what kind of board this is and the kind of people that run it. They have rainbow flag graphics floating around on their computers so when they have to put together one of their monthly LGBT memos it is pretty handy.
Thanks for your support.
Look, The Man, just because I won't go out with you doesn't mean I don't dig ya. Please stop the PMs. I'm not into that kind of 'action.'

Udden, udden.

I think they were trying to let you know this topic is exhausted.

But I'll answer. I think it's a little lower than most people here think. I think it's in the low 60%'s so ,say, 50/80.

I Dont know how, let me rephrase i am not going to look into figuring it out, but if you did a statistical analysis on the the actual percent passing vs. ncees reported passing you could come up with a window ie. say 52 +/- 3. You need that link form California.......http://www.pels.ca.gov/applicants/exam_statistics.shtml.

The problem with getting an accurate window is the fact that we/you dont know how any of results layed out, to see how much of a sway of say 3 questions would effect the results. Lets say you compared Aprils results of the California published percentage of Pass %39.18% to ncees 64%. So at 56/80 only 39.2% passed, but 55 correct could correspond to 60%, who knows.

I think you could correspond a bunch of the results to ncees results, you could come up with a fairly accurate window my quick calculations put it at 52 or so. But that still would only give you an overall score not a depth specific, so it would still be worse then a crap shoot.

Does anyone with a strong statistics background and those tables on here?

I Dont know how, let me rephrase i am not going to look into figuring it out, but if you did a statistical analysis on the the actual percent passing vs. ncees reported passing you could come up with a window ie. say 52 +/- 3. You need that link form California.......http://www.pels.ca.gov/applicants/exam_statistics.shtml.
The problem with getting an accurate window is the fact that we/you dont know how any of results layed out, to see how much of a sway of say 3 questions would effect the results. Lets say you compared Aprils results of the California published percentage of Pass %39.18% to ncees 64%. So at 56/80 only 39.2% passed, but 55 correct could correspond to 60%, who knows.

I think you could correspond a bunch of the results to ncees results, you could come up with a fairly accurate window my quick calculations put it at 52 or so. But that still would only give you an overall score not a depth specific, so it would still be worse then a crap shoot.

Does anyone with a strong statistics background and those tables on here?
This is completely confusing.

How does the percentage of people who passed tell you anything about what score they needed to pass?

You must be making some assumptions.

So at 56/80 only 39.2% passed
For example, what's the logic here? Where did the 56/80 come from?

By the way, California publishes passing results for all examinees, NCEES for first time takers. In all likelihood, the California rate for first timers is not much different than NCEES's rate.

a fairly accurate window my quick calculations put it at 52 or so.
BTW - there are plenty of people in the past who have failed and posted their diagnostics with scores above 52. So empirically this prediction doesn't hold water, at least in those cases.

Let me add to my post above.

IF you made the assumption that NCEES starts with a cut score of 56/80 (which they never said) and then adjusts their subsequent cutscores based on equating (which they do say), you could possibly derive some correlation that would tell you the cut scores for past exams.

IF you had enough data (which I don't believe we have) and knowledge in data mining you could possibly devise a neural network or something like that to predict the cutscore for the current and future exams. I still don't believe it would be much better than guessing.

LOL!

there should be a seperate cut-score-thread-fourm, so I can steer clear of that one, like I do the politics fourm.

Did not want to tell the secret but since it is such an interesting topic I will reveal the trick.

The cut score....ahhhh...the darn cut score...Here you go.

Whenever you receive your letter you have to open it as soon as possible. To your left side of the letter, about 1/4 of the lenght of it, it is gong to say

RESULT:

If there is a FAIL look inmediatley to the lower right corner. That is the number you have to call to re-take the test. By the way, that means that whatever the cut score was, you did not make it.

If there is a PASS I highly doubt you are going to care about the bleeping cut score since you will be jumping and screaming like a lunatic. Anyways...that also mean that you made the cut score. That is all that I know.

I was cleaning up my shed this past weekend and sliced my hand on a rusty saw I use to cut up fallen tree branches.

I put that cut score at about 6.3 out of 10.

Did I pass?

Sorry folks, I have a confession to make. After all these years as a member of EB.com I have been keeping a secret. I know the formula to calculating your cut score. I just can't keep it to myself anymore. So here it is:

First solve this equation, x plus y squared, where x is your checking account number and y's your birth year. Now, take the derivative of that number and any number that rhymes with it, write them on a ball and throw a dart! The number you hit is the cut score maybe, but probably not.

Let me add to my post above.
IF you made the assumption that NCEES starts with a cut score of 56/80 (which they never said) and then adjusts their subsequent cutscores based on equating (which they do say), you could possibly derive some correlation that would tell you the cut scores for past exams.

IF you had enough data (which I don't believe we have) and knowledge in data mining you could possibly devise a neural network or something like that to predict the cutscore for the current and future exams. I still don't believe it would be much better than guessing.
Thats exactly what i was trying to state.

But the flaws would be the assumption that A) they start with 56/80 B)It would not be depth specific .

I believe you do have enough data.

You definitely would come close to predicting the cut scores of past exams and future ones within a certain +/-.

Any IDIOT who doesn't think that is possible, must not of faired to well in Engineering Statistics.

BUT I WOULDN'T WAIST MY TIME DOING SUCH A THING. Because know one person has a clue as to how many questions they got correct, so such an effort would be futile to ones benefit.

BUT I WOULDN'T WAIST MY TIME DOING SUCH A THING. Because know one person has a clue as to how many questions they got correct, so such an effort would be futile to ones benefit.
ding! ding! ding! WE HAVE A WINNER!

Trying to determine the cut score is an exercise in futility for this very reason. I really don't know why so many people seem to want to waste their time with it.

Back