Why I think that the cut score is actually much lower than 28/40

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E720

Reaction score
Since I am no longer studying for the SE Exam I have been thinking about the cut score.

And I drew a graph. I apologize for it not being digital but it just happened so fast.

The x-axis is the AM score

The y-axis is the PM score. I put the PM scores in an order that made the most sense to me (all the scores with "U"s at the bottom, all the scores with >= 2 "A"s at the top, and so on).

I have convinced myself that the cut score is more in the neighborhood of 24/40 and that people with higher scores that failed only failed because they got a "U" or didn't get 2 "A"s.

Also I have gotten confirmation before from NCEES that a good morning score can help a bad afternoon score, "While a very good performance in the morning is capable of helping a poor performance in the afternoon (and vice versa) a small amount, a candidate must still perform at a certain level on both AM and PM portions in order to achieve acceptable results for a component. So there are minimum levels that must be achieved in both portions. It is not required to get 40/40 in the morning or all "Acceptables" in the afternoon and there are many combinations of both portions where a candidate can achieve an acceptable component result, but I am unable to provide you with what those combinations are."

Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• 3916_001.pdf
    34.6 KB · Views: 140
I agree, the cut score must be low, otherwise, i would have failed.

Since I am no longer studying for the SE Exam I have been thinking about the cut score.

And I drew a graph. I apologize for it not being digital but it just happened so fast.

The x-axis is the AM score

The y-axis is the PM score. I put the PM scores in an order that made the most sense to me (all the scores with "U"s at the bottom, all the scores with >= 2 "A"s at the top, and so on).

I have convinced myself that the cut score is more in the neighborhood of 24/40 and that people with higher scores that failed only failed because they got a "U" or didn't get 2 "A"s.

Also I have gotten confirmation before from NCEES that a good morning score can help a bad afternoon score, "While a very good performance in the morning is capable of helping a poor performance in the afternoon (and vice versa) a small amount, a candidate must still perform at a certain level on both AM and PM portions in order to achieve acceptable results for a component. So there are minimum levels that must be achieved in both portions. It is not required to get 40/40 in the morning or all "Acceptables" in the afternoon and there are many combinations of both portions where a candidate can achieve an acceptable component result, but I am unable to provide you with what those combinations are."

Let me know your thoughts.
You know what. This does make sense. Of course assuming that the 2 test cycles were off similar difficulty level.

Last edited:
I can only hope that if I did well on the PM (A, A, IR) they take pity on the Bridge guy who is not fluent in the building codes...

1024.jpg

This does make sense though.

You know what. This does make sense. Of course assuming that the 2 test cycles were off similar difficulty level.
They say tests are designed and graded to be of comparable difficulty. I think I read something somewhere some time ago about them asking a group of engineers to rate each question on a Must get it right; good to get it right; will be nice to get it right....and then use that data to perform an analytical method (forget the term now) to make adjustments to make the two comparable in level of difficulty.

When they say exams are not graded on a curve, that means not having a pre-set passing level and adjusting the scoring/grading based on the performance of the examinees in that administration of the exam without reference or linkage to any other administration of that exam.

I think they play it fair. Absolute comparability or consistency is not achievable.

If you want it to? I have never been tested, and have not had COVID.
I also never had a test done. I got both my shots. But, apparently I can still get the dreaded stuff from others who carry it and be asymptomatic. Some young guys/gals also carry it and are asymptomatic because of their young and strong immune system. The good thing is that I cannot get it just by being here on EB.

I also never had a test done. I got both my shots. But, apparently I can still get the dreaded stuff from others who carry it and be asymptomatic. Some young guys/gals also carry it and are asymptomatic because of their young and strong immune system. The good thing is that I cannot get it just by being here on EB.
ohDKCIO.jpg

Looks like Rodin has been having second thoughts. Chin up, Philosopher/Thinker.

Back