What do you say?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pressure is unbelivable even if you try not think about it.
Yeah, why is that? I purposefully put every bit of study material and the table and chair I used to study down in the basement. I don't want any reminders until the test results come back.

It is nice of people to ask. I'm just hoping the frequency goes down.

^^^^

Because they are expecting an outcome that is not the one that you want. In my case some of my peers, specially three of them as far I know, were wishing me failure.

I am not going thru the details here since at least one of them recently joined EB(I think). But it is a very weird feeling. When they asked me I knew they were hoping for me to say "I failed". They also made the mistake to make a not so nice comment in front of an engineer who was a friend of mine. He had a lot of fun with them when I passed. I was not on their group anymore when the results came.

It got to the point where some people were asking anytime they saw me if I had heard yet. I would greet those people with a big NOPE isn't of hello as a preemptive strike against the question.

BringItOn I feel for you. I was in the same boat during my first try (heck, even the second and third). A co-worker of mine, saw me studying over lunch, and asked, so I told her I was studying for the PE exam. She had the balls to go to complain to my manager saying that she was worried that me studying for my PE exam would affect my performance and timelines. Arrghhhh !!!! I know this is true because she said this in front of a friend of mine (who later told me) and I heard her repeat it to my manager (again!) on another occasion when she thought no one was hearing. I was in one of the empty office cubicles studying (during lunch of course); she thought she was having a private conversation since all the cubicles (about 9), surrounding the one is was in, were empty.

So, the next day (after cooling off). I confronted her, with all the patience and self-control I had. Told her that if she had an issue with my performance or timelines (same phrases she used), to feel free to come and talk to me directly, to not be intimidated. I wasn't trying to put her down (well, deep down inside, yes I was). I was mainly trying to let her know that I knew. Of course, she said "I didn't mean it that way". ???

I've said in a previous post that me taking (and re-taking) the exam has shown me my co-workers true colors; that I've seen true support from them. But, it's also shown me who my true friends are.

I heard "X " thought this test was easy so you should be fine.... :smileyballs:

Some smart P.E. from my college told me before the exam: The Trans. depth was so easy he can teach a monkey how to pass it; I'd be crazy not to select it.

By listening to him I wasted close to 10 precious min reading the Trans depth :smileyballs:

After the exam I told him :BS:
Did you pick your PM Depth the day of the exam or did you select it months before?

I had originally planned on doing WR, but as I started getting into the AM specs of the topics, I found that I was more comfortable with Transpo and then focused my studies on that for the rest of my time.

After suffering through this exam four time, I was sick and tired of ANYONE asking me 1) how was the test? or 2) how do you think you did?

The last time I took the exam, I borrow a quote from Lewis Black in response to how was the exam.

I told them there were three stages:

1. Damn it!

2. Jesus christ!

3. Fuck me!

I told them I left feeling like option #3. That kept people pretty far away from me for awhile :D

JR

thank you, jreg, for that deep belly laugh which I just experienced. The laptop monitor thanks you for the spray of food and such across its screen.

Clemenson,

It depends how you feel about the exam. If you felt that you did a good job, then you tell them in a deep, slow and firm voice: "Good experience. Every young engineer ought to try it.”

If you felt you did bad, then say this in a modest but upbeat tone "How's weather down in SoCal? It gets chilly this time of the month."

"How's weather down in SoCal? It gets chilly this time of the month."

I have heard about how chilly SoCal is this time of the month, just about as cool as Miami. :laugh:

Last edited:
Did you pick your PM Depth the day of the exam or did you select it months before?

I prepared for & selected WR depth. I heard & read that it's ok to spend a few min. reading another depth just in case. After the fact it was a waste of 10 min that I could have use for.... 99.9% of the tips I got were great especially, in the AM.

In the PM I pray a lot...needing devine intervention.

I've been criticized/misunderstood for feeling positive about the exam & seing the glass as half full. It's the way I am!

thank you, jreg, for that deep belly laugh which I just experienced. The laptop monitor thanks you for the spray of food and such across its screen.
I am glad that I can provide some comic relief in between the bits and pieces of exam prep advice. :)

JR

I have been avoiding people ever since this stupid test!!!!!!!!!!!
I did the same thing after I took the test back in April. Everyone knew I took it and I knew that anywhere I went someone would ask me how it went (I dreaded having that conversation over and over again).

Don't worry though... we won't ask you how you did.

-Ray

JUst save your best humor for mid December JR. They are going to need it.
December, heck it is already torture.

Thought of another snappy response today:

"How did I do on the test??? hmmmm HEY! (Insert name of least favorite person in office) is hiding doughnuts!! MMMMMM Yummy Doughnuts. Go see what you can find out, and don't take NO for an answer!!." - Food is ALWAYS a great distraction.

I am sure that it has come up several times on these boards, does anyone have a link to the threads about pass rates and/or raw score vs. real score?

Latest posts

Back