what could u have done different to make it up to mark!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PEoct

Reaction score
hello friends

now as we all know the level of difficulty the exam hold particularly this time ( April) and i know we all have same standard reference so do i , i was wondering what you would have done differently or added to your preparation to make it to the mark and difficulty level.

so that we can learn from our experience as-the exam is still fresh in our mind.

i am not discussing the questions here just the overall thought process.

thank you

and please share your thoughts.

good luck

I have no idea.This is how I prepared.

-camera reference book

-camera practice problems

-camera sample exam

-NCEES Test

-Graffeo Book

-wildi.read & took notes

-complex imaginary 1-4

-Spin ups

-kaplan sample exam (tough)

I also took the Georgia Tech prep course.Im really tired.I studied since june. I though I was ok going into the test, but nope.

Last edited by a moderator:
ya same here we all almost have all the listed above references mine were exactly same, so i really don't know what to add or how to improve the references.

:( guess we all are on same boat.

This was my first time taking the PE-Power. I didn't study the way I wanted to be due to travels and laziness. During the exam, I noticed on how should I improve my PE test taking skills.

- Calm myself down to avoid silly mistakes and not to freak out if I can't find the answer.

- Know my references from cover to cover.

- Utilize my references instead of relying from my own general knowledge.

My thinking is maybe the people giving the test also have these same references that we do. I always read that their sample test is similar to the test. But that wasn't the case. I think next time I'll do my own independent studying based upon their specifications. It's just hard to devote that much time when you have a job and wife and kids.But there's no magic pill.No short cut. So ill just hit the ground running again in 5 or 6 weeks

why are you guys worrying so much right now. please don't worry. I am sure you all guys will pass the exam. just relax and enjoy till the results come out. I met couple of guys who thought they will fail miserably in april and still passed with flying colors. so, just relax and enjoy for some time.

The sample test is NEVER anywhere near as complex as the real thing.

The problem with this test cycle, as I see it, is they looked to different sources for questions.

That is fine, except we don't have any way of knowing what to study for.

I do not see why they cannot publish a list of 'suggested' references.

I studied my butt off and sat there for the better part of 3 hours questioning my own abilities.

why are you guys worrying so much right now. please don't worry. I am sure you all guys will pass the exam. just relax and enjoy till the results come out. I met couple of guys who thought they will fail miserably in april and still passed with flying colors. so, just relax and enjoy for some
that was very thoughtful of you ! :) i hope and pray everyone who sincerely worked hard pass the exam. but there is always a thought back of mind to prepare for the worst, when u know u didnt do well :( besides all efforts and hard work,

The sample test is NEVER anywhere near as complex as the real thing.

The problem with this test cycle, as I see it, is they looked to different sources for questions.

That is fine, except we don't have any way of knowing what to study for.

I do not see why they cannot publish a list of 'suggested' references.

I studied my butt off and sat there for the better part of 3 hours questioning my own abilities.
i tatally agree with you, why they just dnt list the 100 books as reference . i know one book cnt be enough, but than there is no limit to reference to.

its so frustrating,

just wait until the exam goes computer based and it goes to closed book exam, the only thing you are allowed is a supplied reference like on the FE exam.

If I do pass this is what I did. 3 months before the exam I started reading my undergrad books which I am more familiar with. I took the test masters and did complex, spin up and ncees. I did really well on all these exams. I kinda think I did good on the main exam too but was in a shock that the real exam was so different than all the exams I practiced.

All of the practice exams seemed to be far too basic for the exam except for the Complex Imaginary NEC Drill Book.

I'm looking at October's test as a practice run so If I have to take the test again, I will most likely work the end of the chapter problems in the Wildi Machines, Grainger Power Systems, and Chapman Electric Machinery Books. Since this test had a fair amount of relay type questions, I'll need to find a good book relay design.

Another thing I was caught off guard by was the transformer cooling questions with abreviations OA/FA/FOA. None of my books had anything on this so finding a good transformer design book will also be a good idea. Wildi, Grainger, and Chapman didn't have anything on this topic. I also have the Glover book and it lacked this info too.

Any good suggestions on other books to look at aside from the usual ones on here?

that's exactly i want to find out by posting this topic. hopefully some one can tell :)

Another thing I was caught off guard by was the transformer cooling questions with abreviations OA/FA/FOA. None of my books had anything on this so finding a good transformer design book will also be a good idea. Wildi, Grainger, and Chapman didn't have anything on this topic. I also have the Glover book and it lacked this info too.
There was really an exam question on the cooling method for a power transformer? Seems very application specific and not really focusing on core concepts.

There was really an exam question on the cooling method for a power transformer? Seems very application specific and not really focusing on core concepts.
Yes, there was a question about that and other IEEE Standards. There was also a question on NFPA 70E.

All of the practice exams seemed to be far too basic for the exam except for the Complex Imaginary NEC Drill Book.

I'm looking at October's test as a practice run so If I have to take the test again, I will most likely work the end of the chapter problems in the Wildi Machines, Grainger Power Systems, and Chapman Electric Machinery Books. Since this test had a fair amount of relay type questions, I'll need to find a good book relay design.

Any good suggestions on other books to look at aside from the usual ones on here?

The IEEE Standards (IEEE Std. C57) on transformers discuss the transformer cooling methods. They gave a hint about this problem if you would remember one of the questions about a power transformers that have three values.

There were a few application specific questions. The transformer one was a nice one. My personal favorite was the one about the fluorescent light bulbs. It was priceless.

I came close twice and I believe that not doing enough practice problems was the issue. I did a lot of review and study (GA Tech lectures), but did not work enough problems. I plan to take it again in October 2015, but what you guys are telling me about the exam is making me wonder if my "revised plan" to do mre practice problems is now the right strategy. I am running out of options!

Yes, there was a question about that and other IEEE Standards. There was also a question on NFPA 70E.

The IEEE Standards (IEEE Std. C57) on transformers discuss the transformer cooling methods. They gave a hint about this problem if you would remember one of the questions about a power transformers that have three values.
I picked up on that as well....thankfully because at the time, I had no clue what those abbreviations stood for.

Back