Water pumping stations generators

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbo

Reaction score
Okay, this is a pretty general question so hopefully I can get a range. What size of emergency generators are usually needed at water pumping stations for small semi-rural water companies? 'm thinking 500 to 2000 hp, maybe 300 kw to 1.5 MW, but these are just guesses. Does that sound reasonable? How much would something like this generally cost? I realize this may require more specifications, but unfortuneately I don't have any so I'm looking to see if I can get a ballpark, or an idea of where to look (other than Google) - these are to ensure water is available for firefighting in the case of power outages. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, this is a pretty general question so hopefully I can get a range. What size of emergency generators are usually needed at water pumping stations for small semi-rural water companies? 'm thinking 500 to 2000 hp, maybe 300 kw to 1.5 MW, but these are just guesses. Does that sound reasonable? How much would something like this generally cost? I realize this may require more specifications, but unfortuneately I don't have any so I'm looking to see if I can get a ballpark, or an idea of where to look (other than Google) - these are to ensure water is available for firefighting in the case of power outages. Thanks.

I recently specified 2-1440 kW, 4160 volt generators for backup power for a wastewater treatment plant. The price included 5kV class metal-clad switchgear. The client wanted Caterpillar so we did a bid allowance and the price came in at $2,800.000. This was in Athens, GA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently specified 2-1440 kW, 4160 volt generators for backup power for a wastewater treatment plant. The price included 5kV class metal-clad switchgear. The client wanted Caterpillar so we did a bid allowance and the price came in at $2,800.000. This was in Athens, GA.
Thanks.

I didn't realize they were so expensive.

Thanks.I didn't realize they were so expensive.
A lot of it depends on the options you specify. We specify insulated enclosures that are very quiet, emissions criteria, fuel storage, exhaust silencers, lots of instrumentation on the control panels, etc. If you're in a rural area you may not need to bother with a lot of that. But still, the big $$$ is in the engine and switchgear.

We specify insulated enclosures that are very quiet, emissions criteria, fuel storage, exhaust silencers, lots of instrumentation on the control panels, etc. If you're in a rural area you may not need to bother with a lot of that.
I don't know about that.

Let's just say I'm in California and leave it at that.

The size of the gen set is a function of the horsepower required by the pumps plus any ancillary power requirements (i.e. - motorized valves, emergecny lighting, flow meters).

I am currently designing a wastewater booster station with three (3) 100 hp pumps (2 duty and 1 standaby), and we are specifying a 300 kW diesel generator.

$2.8 million smart ass.
I was thinking to ask the same question since 2.8M seems exorbitantly high and 2.8K seems ridiculously low. I couldn't decide if you were specifying generators made of gold or bought off Ebay from Al's Gens and Taco Stand. Thanks for clarifying. I will assume this is a larger facility than what I imagined at first.

I was thinking to ask the same question since 2.8M seems exorbitantly high and 2.8K seems ridiculously low. I couldn't decide if you were specifying generators made of gold or bought off Ebay from Al's Gens and Taco Stand. Thanks for clarifying. I will assume this is a larger facility than what I imagined at first.

I didn't realize $2.8 was so high. Do you have a comparison? We did specify some pricey adders.

Back