Waiting

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to wonder, does anyone actually get thru without guessing blindly on at least 5 questions?  Mainly for those who have passed, does this happen?  The test is designed to make you stumble and run out of time.  I have rarely seen anyone comment about this test and say they got thru all 40 AM questions without having to fill in at least a few circles blindly.
We have someone in our office who took and passed Lateral Buildings April 17.  He said he guessed outright on 6 problems, so-so on 4 or 5.  I know several people who worked 3 problems in the afternoons (vertical or lateral) and "essayed" the last problem with 20 minutes left on both vertical and lateral.  This is to say they didn't complete any calculations for multiple parts on one problem, just explained what they would do and included code references and key formulas.  They passed.  I passed Vertical Buildings April 17 and just tried to keep each afternoon problem to about an hour.  I had to "essay" a subpart or two to stay on schedule, but still passed.  We'll see, I think I messed up the first problem, hard to say how bad because can't remember what I wrote down at this point to talk myself off the ledge...

On code changes, I have a book called Seismic and Wind Forces Structural Design Examples 4th Edition by Alan Williams.  This was a fantastic study guide and reference in the exam.  I have contacted ICC to see if they will be offering a new edition to reflect the updated exam references.  They responded saying they did not know the exam references had been updated, but would look into it and get back to me.  I did see that the practice exams for both NCEES and PPI have been updated, so I would probably get those if I don't pass lateral this go 'round.

I have to wonder, does anyone actually get thru without guessing blindly on at least 5 questions?  Mainly for those who have passed, does this happen?  The test is designed to make you stumble and run out of time.  I have rarely seen anyone comment about this test and say they got thru all 40 AM questions without having to fill in at least a few circles blindly.
I'm sure there are some people, but I don't think many. I guessed on almost all AASHTO questions on morning portion for both tests and passed both. I had answers for everything in the afternoon, didn't have to "essay" anything, but I didn't feel confident in what I put for almost an entire problem for lateral afternoon.  I'm sure there are tests more difficult than the lateral portion, but I don't know of any and going off pass rates of the lateral portion there can't be many,

I'm sure there are some people, but I don't think many. I guessed on almost all AASHTO questions on morning portion for both tests and passed both. I had answers for everything in the afternoon, didn't have to "essay" anything, but I didn't feel confident in what I put for almost an entire problem for lateral afternoon.  I'm sure there are tests more difficult than the lateral portion, but I don't know of any and going off pass rates of the lateral portion there can't be many,
Ive taken this exam 5 times in total.... I passed vertical first time thru and blindly guessed on 10 AM questions.  4 times of taking lateral, no matter how much I have prepared I have never gotten thru without blind guessing on at least 5.  Hats off to those who have done this without having to guess.

In response to that screenshot, I can offer advice based on what happened for the April exams, when I took the vertical.

PE and SE exam results did not come out the same day. They are different exams (and the PE is multiple choice only), so that makes sense.

The release of SE results followed the timeline described earlier:

The NCEES October newsletter shows the SE Grading Workshop to be 11/30 - 12/2.  If the same schedule holds from the April exam, results will be released the following Friday, 12/8.  Only 2.5 more weeks!
However, each state is in control of releasing its own results, so everyone doesn't get their result at once. I expect some states to hear on or around 12/8. Others might not hear for another week. I found myself refreshing the NCEES website multiple times a day, and then one day woke up to an email saying my results were finally available. I'll try my best to be patient for my results on the lateral... which will probably arrive in the middle of the week of 12/11.

looks like they are slow this year, seems that Illinois always lags behind, guessing they will not be releasing SE results to the states today.  Maybe another week?

looks like they are slow this year, seems that Illinois always lags behind, guessing they will not be releasing SE results to the states today.  Maybe another week?
Could be another week at the max.  Looking at past December releases it seems that they released the SE results several days after the PE results.  According to that standard they should come out today but then again these are only speculations.  They need the extra time probably for the afternoon questions and analyzing any possible discrepancies from all the comments the test takers send to NCEES regarding possible faulty or unclear questions.

Could be another week at the max.  Looking at past December releases it seems that they released the SE results several days after the PE results.  According to that standard they should come out today but then again these are only speculations.  They need the extra time probably for the afternoon questions and analyzing any possible discrepancies from all the comments the test takers send to NCEES regarding possible faulty or unclear questions.
You spoke too soon....NC results are out, passed Vertical Bridges!

Back