Waiting

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it was!  Glad I wasn't the only one...
Same here... I agonized over that one problem for 2 weeks, and then finally gave up because I can't do anything about it.

I'm certain that if I had known what the problem wanted me to do, I would have been able to answer it, because I prepared very thoroughly. But I just wasn't sure what they were after. I wound up writing a bunch of random stuff, hoping that whatever they were looking for was in there somewhere.

I also couldn't figure out what they were looking for on the first afternoon problem. It's at least comforting to my ego to know that I'm not the only one. I feel fairly confident on the other three afternoon problems. 

Hey, just an idea, but if you guys think a question was poorly worded or confusing, it wouldn't hurt to submit a comment to NCEES about it. Especially because it seems like a few of you were hung up on the same problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, just an idea, but if you guys think a question was poorly worded or confusing, it wouldn't hurt to submit a comment to NCEES about it. Especially because it seems like a few of you were hung up on the same problem.
Good point - I'll probably do that. I had forgotten that this was an option. I can admit when I don't know something or wasn't prepared, but even in retrospect I'm not 100% certain what they were looking for on that problem.

That is not a bad idea. I think I will submit a comment to NCEES on that one.

Definitely do this. If enough people comment on that problem NCEES may give credit for multiple answers and improve everyones score.

The NCEES October newsletter shows the SE Grading Workshop to be 11/30 - 12/2.  If the same schedule holds from the April exam, results will be released the following Friday, 12/8.  Only 2.5 more weeks!

The NCEES October newsletter shows the SE Grading Workshop to be 11/30 - 12/2.  If the same schedule holds from the April exam, results will be released the following Friday, 12/8.  Only 2.5 more weeks!
How many times do I have to say it? Not at this rate of spam!

For those that are interested, I contacted NCEES about the problem in question. I found that the best way to do this is to email them at [email protected]  
Thanks for posting this information.  I was not able to find a way to comment on an exam problem through My NCEES the week after the exam so sort of gave up.  I wrote the email address you provided. I hope that if there is anything that can be done by commenting (this late or in general), that this helps.

Same here... I agonized over that one problem for 2 weeks, and then finally gave up because I can't do anything about it.

I'm certain that if I had known what the problem wanted me to do, I would have been able to answer it, because I prepared very thoroughly. But I just wasn't sure what they were after. I wound up writing a bunch of random stuff, hoping that whatever they were looking for was in there somewhere.
Yup, same here.  First question for me on the afternoon portion of the Lateral exam was difficult for me as well.  It was a bit unclear in determining what they were asking for.  I found the wording a bit confusing as well...  Other three questions I thought went fine.  How did you guys find the morning portion?  I thought it was brutal.  Saw a lot of problems I had not encountered before on the review courses and I simply didn't have enough time.  I think I guessed like 10 and wasn't sure on another 12.

Yup, same here.  First question for me on the afternoon portion of the Lateral exam was difficult for me as well.  It was a bit unclear in determining what they were asking for.  I found the wording a bit confusing as well...  Other three questions I thought went fine.  How did you guys find the morning portion?  I thought it was brutal.  Saw a lot of problems I had not encountered before on the review courses and I simply didn't have enough time.  I think I guessed like 10 and wasn't sure on another 12.
Similar experience for me, Mr. Bean. Morning portion left me feeling very uneasy. I guessed blindly on 6 questions I didn't have time for (all AASHTO) and wasn't sure of about 8 - 12 questions. The questions were very different from the sample problems I encountered in my studies...and I studied a lot. The first morning question was not clear to me so I messaged NCEES like several others have done. I left the exam feeling how I felt after the PE Structural exam October 2016 and passed that so there's hope! Passed SE Vertical Building April 2017 so I'm super anxious to get this all over with. I guess we'll see in about two weeks! 

Similar experience for me, Mr. Bean. Morning portion left me feeling very uneasy. I guessed blindly on 6 questions I didn't have time for (all AASHTO) and wasn't sure of about 8 - 12 questions. The questions were very different from the sample problems I encountered in my studies...and I studied a lot. The first morning question was not clear to me so I messaged NCEES like several others have done. I left the exam feeling how I felt after the PE Structural exam October 2016 and passed that so there's hope! Passed SE Vertical Building April 2017 so I'm super anxious to get this all over with. I guess we'll see in about two weeks! 
Good luck to you :)   The exam certainly is harder than the PE in my opinion that is for sure.

I remember the problem well for the lateral.  Definitely a topic I am going to brush up on, as I do not believe I passed either exam in this round.  Already started collecting new codes and working problems.

Mr. Bean, I agree...this exam made my PE exam seem like a field day.

I remember the problem well for the lateral.  Definitely a topic I am going to brush up on, as I do not believe I passed either exam in this round.  Already started collecting new codes and working problems.

I have to wonder, does anyone actually get thru without guessing blindly on at least 5 questions?  Mainly for those who have passed, does this happen?  The test is designed to make you stumble and run out of time.  I have rarely seen anyone comment about this test and say they got thru all 40 AM questions without having to fill in at least a few circles blindly.

@Mithrandir918 I did not guess a single one. I might have made mistakes but I answered all 40 questions that matched one on the options. (Yet to pass though :D) However, time was extremely tight. No time to use restroom too! Level of difficulty is way higher than PE Structural. 

No need to get all of the new codes.  Some of the changes aren't structural and therefore not worth getting like the new IBC and Wood codes.  The ACI 318-14 however is needed because everything got shifted around.  2013 Masonry code is required as well.

@Mithrandir918 I did not guess a single one. I might have made mistakes but I answered all 40 questions that matched one on the options. (Yet to pass though :D) However, time was extremely tight. No time to use restroom too! Level of difficulty is way higher than PE Structural. 
That's great.  Wish I had a similar experience.  If you didn't bomb any of the afternoon questions then you should pass the Lateral.

@TheStructuralEngineer Did you take Day 1, Day 2 or both?  I agree with @Mr. Bean you must be very good at these tests, you have a very good chance, best of luck.

Back