WA State SE III

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've decided to come out of my somewhat forced exile from EB (EB's blocked at work and with my almost-2-year old demanding my attention all the time I don't have any free time when I am at home) to see how everyone else is doing. I've more or less begun my studying for the WA SEIII and am not really looking forward to several months of studying...

I'm currently reviewing my old structural dynamics course notes and text (Chopra "Dynamics of Structures"). I'm really not liking the stuff; although, I feel I understand the theory a bit better than when I took it in grad school (looking back I have no idea how I passed those courses)...

In any case, for those that are doing the SEIII come October, please feel free to drop in when you are ready to hit the books. I know I will have some questions myself. And to those waiting on April '09 results; good luck!

Actually, I have a question for those that have already done the SEIII, or anyone else that has an answer.

For the dynamic analysis of buildings what will they be looking for? i.e. using matrices to solve for building deflection, stiffness, forces, etc? Anything particular topics you think should be covered in my study? I think this will be my biggest weakness when it comes to the exam.

Thanks

Casey

Actually, I have a question for those that have already done the SEIII, or anyone else that has an answer.
For the dynamic analysis of buildings what will they be looking for? i.e. using matrices to solve for building deflection, stiffness, forces, etc? Anything particular topics you think should be covered in my study? I think this will be my biggest weakness when it comes to the exam.
Casey,

I guess I am not even qualified to take the exam then... I never took a class that required Chopra's book. I figured I could do basic structural analysis like moment distribution and the stiffness method. We'll see...

...since I'm equally, if not more so, feeling inadequate to pass this exam, where are you getting the dynamics description for the WA SE III? Is there actual posted literature of these requirements?

Casey,
I guess I am not even qualified to take the exam then... I never took a class that required Chopra's book. I figured I could do basic structural analysis like moment distribution and the stiffness method. We'll see...
The Chopra book was a required text for a graduate level course (structural dynamics I) I took while doing my masters. However, you are not required to have a masters degree to qualify for the SE. So you have nothing to worry about with respect to course work qualifications. You just need to study the material and understand it.

I have a primer that summarises the basics of structural dynamics in about 15 to 20 pages. I can scan that and email it to you if you like (pm me your email address). The other recommended structural dynamics text is Clough's and Penzien's "Dynamics of Structures".

...since I'm equally, if not more so, feeling inadequate to pass this exam, where are you getting the dynamics description for the WA SE III? Is there actual posted literature of these requirements?
I am basing the need to know your dynamic analysis fundamentals on GreenAqua's post (#9 in this thread), the WA SEIII matrix pdf (http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/engineerslandsurveyors/seiiimatrix0708.pdf), and what is covered in Williams Seismic PE Review book (http://www.iccsafe.org/e/prodshow.html?prodid=9295S6&stateInfo=kcXhlbctiacllUji7115|13).

I hope that helps.

p.s. I'll fix those links when I am at home. My browser at work won't let me edit links.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Chopra book was a required text for a graduate level course (structural dynamics I) I took while doing my masters. However, you are not required to have a masters degree to qualify for the SE. So you have nothing to worry about with respect to course work qualifications. You just need to study the material and understand it.
I have a primer that summarises the basics of structural dynamics in about 15 to 20 pages. I can scan that and email it to you if you like (pm me your email address). The other recommended structural dynamics text is Clough's and Penzien's "Dynamics of Structures".

I am basing the need to know your dynamic analysis fundamentals on GreenAqua's post (#9 in this thread), the WA SEIII matrix pdf (http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/engineerslandsurveyors/seiiimatrix0708.pdf), and what is covered in Williams Seismic PE Review book (http://www.iccsafe.org/e/prodshow.html?prodid=9295S6&stateInfo=kcXhlbctiacllUji7115|13).

I hope that helps.

p.s. I'll fix those links when I am at home. My browser at work won't let me edit links.
Casey, my e-mail is [email protected] , I REALLY appreciate it. As far as the "basic dynamics" portion, I know how to do the Rayleigh procedure for dynamic analysis, but that's all. When determining the fundamental period of a structure, the SERM goes into this. The Seismic and Wind PRactice problems also show how to do this. Is this what you're refering to? If so, I've studied it already. I studied for a 1-1/2 year time period for the civil/structural depth exam. I went way, way, way overboard for such an easy exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Casey, my e-mail is [email protected] , if you don't want to send that's okay. As far as the "basic dynamics" portion, I know how to do the Rayleigh procedure for dynamic analysis, but that's all. When determining the fundamental period of a structure, the SERM goes into this. The Seismic and Wind PRactice problems also show how to do this. Is this what you're refering to? If so, I've studied it already. I studied for a 1-1/2 year time period for the civil/structural depth exam. I went way, way, way overboard for such an easy exam.
BTW Casey, is that the basic concept behind dynamics? Having never taken structural dynamics, but just the basic dynamics in undergrad, I feel that it might be enough, but I don't know.

Back