WA State SE III

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kris kelvin

Reaction score
I took SE 3 in October and I am curious if anyone on this forum took the same exam. Also, since it is a local exam, I have no idea about the passing rate/score?!

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

I also took the October SE III exam in WA. Unfortunately I know nothing about passing rates or scores for this exam. I am guessing we won't here anything until mid February at the earliest?

Good Luck

I also took the October SE III exam in WA. Unfortunately I know nothing about passing rates or scores for this exam. I am guessing we won't here anything until mid February at the earliest?
Good Luck
Greenaqua,

How does the SE III compare to the SE II in difficulty. Is it more seismic intensive.

kris & Greenaqua,

Welcome to the board!

Yes, this is the place for SEIII talk. Please share your thoughts!

kris & Greenaqua,
Welcome to the board!

Yes, please do share. I am pretty sure I will be doing the WA SEIII in October 2009 this year (Although, I'll probably be doing it in Vancouver with APEGBC, so I won't be running into you there Kevo) and would be interested in hearing how the SEIII compares with the SEII.

What kind of study material did those that took the WA SEIII used? Since I haven't run into anything commercially available, would the California study material be sufficient?

Haha I'm nowhere near Oct '09 and I am already thinking about this exam.... As my wife says I am a PE-holic.

kris & Greenaqua,
Welcome to the board!

kevo_55,

thanks. i took se2 in october 07 for the first time and passed. camparing se2 and se3 exams, i have a bad news and another bad news. se3 is way lengthier and more difficult than se2. i thought se2 was very general and did not require deep structural analysis. on the other hand - se3 is very very seismic specific. you do need to know analyze framses as well.

good luck,

^^ I suspected as much.

I myself have already taken and passed the civil, SEI, and SEII exams. I'm currently waiting on my CA special exam results. If I pass, I'll be taking the SEIII in October '09 as will casey.

I may have a few questions in a few months. But any other tips you may have would be nice.

Thanks!

:sharkattack: Just saw this new smiley and had to test it out!

Still waiting on SE II results for October 08.....

How's the wait going for everyone else?

The SE III in WA is all about Seismic. The SE II was more general. I was able to finish the SE II with just enough time. The SE III was more difficult to complete in the time given. I didn't finish the morning portion and it could be why I don't pass this time? It wasn't that I didn't know how to do the problems, just not enough time. We shall see....

I would recommend studying everything that you did on the SE II but also learn all of the Seismic specific subjects for each material. The steel seismic provisions, Ch 21 of ACI 318, ACI 530 seismic requirements. Also know the fundamentals of dynamic analysis. I spent most of my time studying the seismic portions of the different materials and interlacing that with ASCE7-05. If I have to take the exam again I will likely use the same method. I purchased the 3 volumes published by SEOC that have examples in them and wasn't impressed. I would say volume 1 which is more ASCE7 related was worthwhile and I spent time with that. There is also the PCA notes on ACI 318 that is good for the concrete seismic provisions. The Steel Seismic provisions is also very good albeit a few errors.

All in all it was a fair exam but don't expect time during the exam to learn how to do anything or go back and fix a mistake.

If you have a more specific question let me know and I will answer next time I logon.

Regards and good luck to all.

The SE III in WA is all about Seismic. The SE II was more general. I was able to finish the SE II with just enough time. The SE III was more difficult to complete in the time given. I didn't finish the morning portion and it could be why I don't pass this time? It wasn't that I didn't know how to do the problems, just not enough time. We shall see....I would recommend studying everything that you did on the SE II but also learn all of the Seismic specific subjects for each material. The steel seismic provisions, Ch 21 of ACI 318, ACI 530 seismic requirements. Also know the fundamentals of dynamic analysis. I spent most of my time studying the seismic portions of the different materials and interlacing that with ASCE7-05. If I have to take the exam again I will likely use the same method. I purchased the 3 volumes published by SEOC that have examples in them and wasn't impressed. I would say volume 1 which is more ASCE7 related was worthwhile and I spent time with that. There is also the PCA notes on ACI 318 that is good for the concrete seismic provisions. The Steel Seismic provisions is also very good albeit a few errors.

All in all it was a fair exam but don't expect time during the exam to learn how to do anything or go back and fix a mistake.

If you have a more specific question let me know and I will answer next time I logon.

Regards and good luck to all.
Greenaqua,

Do you see the steel panel shearwalls from the new AISC Design Guide being part of the exam? What study materials did you use? Was it merely the ACI and AISC seismic provisions and design guides?

Thanks and good luck.

I would be surprised if they asked detailed questions in regards to steel shearwall panels. I didn't study them very much for the exam and if I took it again I would spend little time on it. They are so new to the code and not used very frequently that I personally feel if they ask detailed questions on them then they really aren't wanting people to pass. There are probably only a hand full of people out there in the real world that have actually done this kind of design. I feel the same way about buckling restrained braces although they seem to be taking off and being used. I have spent a little time though familarizing myself with these two systems on what they were and how they were generally designed/detailed. I did this more due to curiousity than for the exam.

Good luck to you.

I would be surprised if they asked detailed questions in regards to steel shearwall panels. I didn't study them very much for the exam and if I took it again I would spend little time on it. They are so new to the code and not used very frequently that I personally feel if they ask detailed questions on them then they really aren't wanting people to pass. There are probably only a hand full of people out there in the real world that have actually done this kind of design. I feel the same way about buckling restrained braces although they seem to be taking off and being used. I have spent a little time though familarizing myself with these two systems on what they were and how they were generally designed/detailed. I did this more due to curiousity than for the exam.
Good luck to you.
Hey kevo or others:

I've noticed that you recommend the seismic design manuals. I've only got the 2nd volume. Do you think I'll need these for the SE II or more for the SE III? I've used the volume 3 for SMF's and SCBF's of steel, but I borrowed it for a job I was doing at the time. Thanks for any info.

Hey kevo or others:
I've noticed that you recommend the seismic design manuals. I've only got the 2nd volume. Do you think I'll need these for the SE II or more for the SE III? I've used the volume 3 for SMF's and SCBF's of steel, but I borrowed it for a job I was doing at the time. Thanks for any info.

See the following:

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=7926

Hey kevo or others:
If I were you, I'd get Vol. I, I found it the most helpful during the SEII of the three books.

Yes, please do share. I am pretty sure I will be doing the WA SEIII in October 2009 this year (Although, I'll probably be doing it in Vancouver with APEGBC, so I won't be running into you there Kevo) and would be interested in hearing how the SEIII compares with the SEII.
Well, it is beginning to look more likely that I'll be heading to Seattle to do the WA SEIII exam. APEGBC has pissed me off with their absurd fees. They are charging almost $700 just to write the exam in their office not to mention the $500 application fee; whereas, WA only charges $365 for the whole kit-n-kaboodle... And since this is currently coming out of my pocket I'll be going to Seattle. So unless my current employer pays for it (there's a chance) the BC license is not worth the fees. Plus, I am fairly certain I can find someone to pay for it in the future, so I am in no rush to get the BC license. But I would like to get the WA SE license in before NCEES revises their structural exam requirements.

So, if Seattle is the case, and with Kevo, and McEngr (I believe) going there we'll have to do a small EB.com structural meet-up.

Well, it is beginning to look more likely that I'll be heading to Seattle to do the WA SEIII exam. APEGBC has pissed me off with their absurd fees. They are charging almost $700 just to write the exam in their office not to mention the $500 application fee; whereas, WA only charges $365 for the whole kit-n-kaboodle... And since this is currently coming out of my pocket I'll be going to Seattle. So unless my current employer pays for it (there's a chance) the BC license is not worth the fees. Plus, I am fairly certain I can find someone to pay for it in the future, so I am in no rush to get the BC license. But I would like to get the WA SE license in before NCEES revises their structural exam requirements.
So, if Seattle is the case, and with Kevo, and McEngr (I believe) going there we'll have to do a small EB.com structural meet-up.

$1200 vs. $365, HELLLLOOOOOO SEATTLE!!!

Back