Vegas.....

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is that the Tom Colicchios Craft Stakehose?  I made a reservation there :(    Did you all do a full course meal? Could I get out of there for $200? I haven't looked at the menu yet//

Just changed to Emeril's - all I had to read was "seafood tower"  lols

Last edited by a moderator:
since some of yall have made this trip before,

Were flying into Vegas Friday night, buffet Saturday night, then Sunday - Tuesday looking to hi Zion Sunday, Antelope Canyon Monday and then a little of Bryce Canyon before we fly back late Tuesday -  I don't recall what the wife wanted to do in Antelope but apparently its  the smallest of the group? Is that all too much to cram in?

is that the Tom Colicchios Craft Stakehose?  I made a reservation there :(    Did you all do a full course meal? Could I get out of there for $200? I haven't looked at the menu yet//

Just changed to Emeril's - all I had to read was "seafood tower"  lols
Yeah, that's the craftsteak.  We did do the full course tasting menu.  Everything was really good, and we got a ton of food.  You can go a la carte for cheaper, but I think you'd be pushing it to get out for under $200 for two people.  But Emeril's is really good too.

since some of yall have made this trip before,

Were flying into Vegas Friday night, buffet Saturday night, then Sunday - Tuesday looking to hi Zion Sunday, Antelope Canyon Monday and then a little of Bryce Canyon before we fly back late Tuesday -  I don't recall what the wife wanted to do in Antelope but apparently its  the smallest of the group? Is that all too much to cram in?
That's a lot of windshield time for less than 3 days.  We did a similar trip (north rim of the grand canyon, bryce and zion) but took 5 days to do it.  You'd have a lot more time if you cut out the trip to antelope canyon.  I haven't been to Antelope, but my coworker has and it sounds really cool.  But it's on tribal land and you have to go through a tribal tourist outfitter to get in.  Bryce is cool, but you can see pretty much everything in a day--but it was really cool seeing the canyon at sunrise.  

coo thanks! yeah I was thinking the same thing about Antelope Canyon- I am going to see if we can narrow it down to 2 -

So we ended up doing Zion/ Antelope / Bryce...

We Did angels landing at Zion- very cool.

But I think all In all I am done with the NP scene - Too many concentrated foreign and US tourists with no patience all in the same place - I was about ready to start throwing people off the cliffs by the time we got to Bryce!

Antelope canyon is cool but I don’t think it was worth the $75 bucks they charge for the 1 hour tour.

Bryce is not that impressive - it’s like a smaller version of canyon lands- will see some more of it tomorrow before we head back to Vegas - since we don’t fly out till 8:30 I am hoping to get a few rounds of craps In due to my work trip to Canada’s screwing me out of around 5 hours in Vegas Friday night!

Buffet was cool but at the same time since I listen to a lot of his concerts (that I have on cd.... lol) I felt like I was sort of watching a re run- he basically uses the same set up for all his shows- also sad he didn’t sing why don’t we get drunk and screw.... main buffet crowd is Now pretty old- we were the young people there.

My parents recently hit up all those parks, went out there for around a week?  Maybe a week and a half.  They are "seniors" (aka; over 60-something), and they bought a lifetime national park pass for like $10 when there was a random sale, so they got into all the parks for 'free'.  Really worth it for them since they were able to hit up I think 4 or 5 parks in that area, and then a couple others.  I don't think they wen to Angels Landing...It was raining/gross when they went, the water is high, and my parents are seniors...and not fit.  So they did not attempt it.

JB concerts are more fun for tailgating.  I usually hit up his Jones Beach concert each year, def stays mostly the same/on script, but he does throw in a couple twists since it's Jones Beach/we're all snackered/it's the summer/people toot their boat horns at him/people set up beaches on a beach for tailgating.

I don't think I could make myself do the last part of Angel's Landing with the chain and sheer dropoff.  I'm a wuss when it comes to exposure at heights.  When the EB group went there it was February and they said you'd need crampons to do it--so we didn't even think about it (plus Krak was wearing the boot).

Hear ya on the crowds and foreign tourists, but you did happen to be there at peak season.  A coworker of mine was at Zion last week and said they crowds were bad, but they did the wilderness one day and didn't see anyone else, and the long way to the Subway another day and didn't see very many other people--so like a lot of other parks if you get off the paved roads it sounds like you don't see too many others.

Yeah, Bryce is small enough to see in a day.  Canyonlands is definitely more impressive, but the hike down into the canyon at Bryce is a nice (short) hike.  We saw a couple deer hanging out in the canyon.

We're going back to Vegas the weekend before Thanksgiving, and then again Superbowl weekend (main reason is to see George Strait, not the Superbowl.)

@JayKay0914 Your 'rents got a good deal, that lifetime senior pass is normally $80 now!

Your 'rents got a good deal, that lifetime senior pass is normally $80 now!
Yeah, I think it was a random sale email alert before they raised the price a year or two ago and my parents jumped on it. There are a few national parks that my dad has wanted to see, so they figured since they’re retired they might as well go for it. 

They shouldn’t make it any easier for the blue hairs to get to the NP’s!

This has been the most annoying group of never ending French people I have ever seen-

Angles landing isn’t as bad once you get off the paved trail- it’s wide enough that you really have to be trying to be dumb to fall off IMO-

Thinking of taking my mom to go see Barry Manilow in Vegas? Thoughts? Son of the year?

Barry came through Boston a couple of years ago.  Groupon was offering $40 seats.  My wife went with a friend and she said it was fun.   In case you didn’t know he wrote  a lot of  famous marketing jingles in the 70s-80s. 

I think most of the old timers rarely crank out more than 90 minutes so I am sure I could survive (especially while drinking) & doesn't he sing the song Mandy?

It was funny during the Buffet concert there were these two old guys in the row ahead of us who kept trying to pass "dubbies" around and everyone in the audience was like, "I already took an edible" and they were kind of pissed that no one wanted to "pass the dubbie"  (Note I don't know how to spell Dubbie )

Id really like to invite mom out and do this, but the bad part is dad would come and be difficult, annoyed by the crowds, etc..  I think even though Vegas isn't for everyone, everyone should go there at least once!

Were also thinking of taking our son there when he turns 21, That might be weird but I think it would be funny as hell..

Mrs Bot just reserved us a trip to Red Square. Apparently they have an Ice room with vodka sampling. Also a couples massage. She wants to take a haunted Vegas tour. Sounds kind of touristy but I’ll go. 

So how was Red Square?  I just heard it's permanently closing next week.  It's been there since Mandalay Bay opened in 1999, which is a long run for a restaurant in Vegas.

Anyone been to Vegas for NYE?   We were looking for a way to get out of town & ditch the kids, but cant really find anything we want to do in Denver.  Not sure how much of a trainwreck the place would be?  If I go I am defin staying at the Cosmo.

Also, speaking of food,  I really dont see the excitement over these buffet's - we had 2 free ones when we stayed at MGM, I dont know who in their right mind would actually pay for these out of pocket?  Food was very average, people waiting in line for very mediocre crab legs, I felt like I was surrounded by people who think Red Lobster is a seafood place?

Anyone been to Vegas for NYE?   We were looking for a way to get out of town & ditch the kids, but cant really find anything we want to do in Denver.  Not sure how much of a trainwreck the place would be?  If I go I am defin staying at the Cosmo.

Also, speaking of food,  I really dont see the excitement over these buffet's - we had 2 free ones when we stayed at MGM, I dont know who in their right mind would actually pay for these out of pocket?  Food was very average, people waiting in line for very mediocre crab legs, I felt like I was surrounded by people who think Red Lobster is a seafood place?

We did NYE in Vegas this year.  They shut down the Strip to vehicle traffic so it's pedestrian-only.  We aren't much for big crowds, so we didn't go down there, but we watched the fireworks from the Rio parking deck.  That was kind of cool, but not as impressive as I expected--the scale isn't that big when you're shooting the fireworks off 400' buildings.  Plus it was cold--temps around 35 degrees with 20 mph winds.  I had thought about buying tickets to one of the parties, but it was going to be like $900 for the two of us so I passed.  I see this year they have standing-room tickets to the bar at the Spanish Steps at Caesars (next to Hell's Kitchen) for about $150.  That would probably be the place to be if you like the crowds.

As for the buffet, I think I recall warning you the MGM buffet is bad.  I wouldn't go there even for free.  Same for Mandalay Bay, Paris, Bellagio, Luxor or Excalibur.  There are some decent ones around though--Aria and Caesars come to mind for me, and I've heard Cosmo and Wynn are also really good.  You'll pay for them though--$50+ per person for the top tier buffets.  I've had a decent experience at Planet Hollywood and Harrah's buffets too, but I wouldn't go in expecting too much.

A room at Cosmo for NYE will be really expensive, but the nights right after Jan 1 are always really cheap in Vegas.

Back