Vacation... what is that??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My biggest beef with the trips and other bonus goodies is the way they always do fundraising.  Selling stuff that's overpriced that no one wants, and us parents end up buying it anyway. :puke:

so after much thought and dealing with some standard teenage BS over the weekend I decided that the boy can pay the full cost, including the passport fee's for the band trip..

He isn't too happy, he tried the sulking away approach " I guess Ill be the only one not going" lols..

so after much thought and dealing with some standard teenage BS over the weekend I decided that the boy can pay the full cost, including the passport fee's for the band trip..

He isn't too happy, he tried the sulking away approach " I guess Ill be the only one not going" lols..
my response would be, I guess so.  

I have to admit its a lot harder to actually say that then you think it might be. 

When we found out our old HS back home was going to China, I was like no chance in hell, Not in my lifetime, then when you get presented with the same scenario. Its just a lot harder to shift the burden to them for this when most of their classmates parents are "ecstatic" about it..

It's not on the scale of a trip to ireland, but minisnick has stormed off saying the same thing about something his friends have or someplace they are going.  I'm getting the practice in now.    

when I went to Cancun in my late 20's, I couldn't believe how many 17-19 yr olds were there in the Sheraton with us.  They ran up and down the halls all night drinking and screaming.

I couldn't believe that their parents were paying for them to be there.  Based on what I saw, if I had a daughter I wouldn't let her go let alone pay for it.  

my response would be, I guess so.  
498ed76be651cffb6bb9bac6a9bb75c3.png

I have to admit its a lot harder to actually say that then you think it might be. 

When we found out our old HS back home was going to China, I was like no chance in hell, Not in my lifetime, then when you get presented with the same scenario. Its just a lot harder to shift the burden to them for this when most of their classmates parents are "ecstatic" about it..
I'm finding parenting harder as our kid grows up, because I can't exactly remember things my parents did when I was 5, but I sure as hell remember things from 11. It's easy to tell a kindergartner no about that second cookie, but harder to tell an older kid he can't go do something all his friends are doing. 

Don't get me wrong- I'm still the no fun parent for the house, but it seems to be more of a gut punch nowadays. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I never felt bad telling my kid they couldn't go to a movie with their friends, or to an amusement park, etc. But even though I think this trip is stupid, I still feel a little bad about telling him to cough up $4K.  I think his grandparents will kick in some money..

I don't know what level of "I need a vacation" is actively soliciting fights in parking lots of the grocery store but that is where I am at currently. :(

Back