Vacation... what is that??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And let's keep this in perspective too. This is middle school we're talking about it. We didn't have those kinds of opportunities until at least high school. And by then, most of us had part time jobs where we could raise that much $$. I did go on a band trip to Myrtle Beach, but I think it was something like $500 and we took a bus. I had to borrow some of the $$ from my grandparents but paid it all back a few months later and wrote them a nice thank you letter and sent them some souvenirs.

No this is High School.

I had more sympathy for them in middle school- each kid did some type of trip (DC, Band, etc) the cost was around $1000 ea. And they probably fund raised $200?

But this is different I think if I did pay for this I would need to do something for the other two. Keeping in mind he went to the rose bowl as a freshman.(who gives a **** about the PAC 10 anyways?)but the other band nerd parents thought that was a "big deal"

I think this is 100% BS but I like a competition so I am good with paying half if he will pay half. Right now he has $900 left in his checking account after mowing a shitload of lawns this summer. So if he is able to save all that and work next summer he may have enough to do it. But he has a car insurance payment coming up and he tends to whittle away his money (like most people).

I just in general would like to punch the band director in the face over this....

The band parents are just fucking cult like... And the director just feeds off of it... Our old HS back home went to friggin CHINA last year...
I thought it was just here that band was a big deal. It's as big as any of the sports (except football, nothing tops that in Tx).

I'm guessing band in now a cool thing? The "it" thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's more cool than when I was a kid- but they stay in their own world- my daughter who is in the same HS but not in the band said the rest of the school ignores them and they do the same.... It's a good program but it is all they have time to do. Runs 11 months a year.

I was a dumb jock in HS, but I had time to do other stuff in HS.

These poor kids have practice till 7 every night and then 8 hours on Saturday... I would not want to deal with it..

I think fairly common with big schools but the band "owns" its own 18-wheeler to haul their **** around in...

That practice time is a major commitment.  For the number of hours you're talking about the program should be paying for the kids and their parents to go to Ireland.

I was a dumb jock in HS, but I had time to do other stuff in HS.

These poor kids have practice till 7 every night and then 8 hours on Saturday... I would not want to deal with it..
Holy crap, that's crazy. I played sports pretty much year around, but it never took that much time away from my life.

What happens "at band camp" stays at band camp!!

7d51870b6ec88f314ff661b3a9da5e94.jpg

My kids' HS has the same type of band program with the 18-wheeler and displays for competition that cost $$$...plus we also have insanely competitive football and swimming and golf and robotics and...if you can't find something that you can at least be district champion in you're trying not to.  The football-booster club budget is in the hundreds of thousands.  It feels like too much.  It is too much.

My high school was so big (886 in my graduating class) that we had both a band AND an orchestra, and orchestra was so big that we actually split it into two casts for the annual musicals, and still had a full orchestra for each.  The extent of our senior trip was a bus trip down to Durango, CO, for the statewide orchestra competition.  And despite our size, we sucked.  But we sucked LOUDER.

My most expensive class trip cost maybe $150, and that was for a ticket to a broadway show and bus fare.  On the plus side, the girl cast as Gigi in Miss Saigon was pretty hot.  

Way back in the 90's, my senior trip to Chicago cost about $500 each and we all raised it through different events at the school.  Even given the cost of inflation...

Some of the stories sound like when my grandmother used to tell me that all of her kids were potty trained by six months of age

It's a shitty position for the parents to be in, in my opinion especially when 90% of all the other parents think this is the greatest thing since sliced bread,

You all are not making me feel good about school related organizations. I checked the local high school....my kid better sign up for the fishing team, or the gaming club. If I'm spending mega $$$$, it better be something the whole family will enjoy.

Back